02-23-11 – Old Man Winter

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-23-11 – Old Man Winter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s cold outside, Baby! Show us your cold weather shots!

Thanks to SilverStag for the theme suggestion!

linguine
    Participant

Is digitally making a holga pic pushing it too far processing wise?

ravnostic
    Participant

Thank God it’s snowing 1.5 hours away from me as I type! Looks like I’ll be driving up north in the morning. Things better be photogenic, dammit!! Maybe I’ll have something decent to post after all!!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Is digitally making a holga pic pushing it too far processing wise?

Generally yes, but it might depend on what specific stuff you’re doing to simulate it.

lokisbong
    Participant

Looks like I should take a walk in the morning and take advantage of the snow that has accumulated over the last 24 hours.

zincprincess
    Participant

It was in the 60’s this weekend. It looks like I will be archive diving for this one.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

A week ago Thursday we set a record low of -12. Last Thursday we tied the record high of 79 for a temperature swing of 91 degrees in 8 days. About an hour north of here that swing was 110 degrees.

I got at least one new shot for this contest during the last snowfall and the other(s) will be from the archives.

olavf
    Participant

Two out of three sick kids and a two-hour minimum round trip precluded doing anything this weekend. Ah well, I’ve got a few in my archives and one I took a month ago for this one.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Ah, Arizona winters-even the snow up in the mountains is pitiful. I may have one newly taken entry, though. I just hope the voters have a good sense of humor. Next year I’ll be in pretty much the only place in the U.S. I can think of where winter weather is going to be even HARDER to come by.

You’d almost think I didn’t like the cold!

ravnostic
    Participant

Ah, Arizona winters-even the snow up in the mountains is pitiful. I may have one newly taken entry, though. I just hope the voters have a good sense of humor. Next year I’ll be in pretty much the only place in the U.S. I can think of where winter weather is going to be even HARDER to come by.

There is snow in HI, on Mauna Loa.

My field trip up north was a success, I have entries that I can post with honor, though they may not stand up to everyone else who has had snow all winter. At least it’s better than the frost on a frozen TV dinner…

ennuipoet
    Participant

My field trip up north was a success, I have entries that I can post with honor, though they may not stand up to everyone else who has had snow all winter. At least it’s better than the frost on a frozen TV dinner…

I would trade (almost) all of my shots this winter for some freaking warm weather!

mopsy
    Participant

….better than the frost on a frozen TV dinner…. LOL

ravnostic
    Participant

….better than the frost on a frozen TV dinner…. LOL

True story, too. Don’t know if this will post correctly as I’m copying it from my FB acct:

This is the frost sheet over the mashed potatoes in a Banquet brand salsbury steak dinner. Unveiled, per instructions, the plastic over the potatoes and thought to photograph it. Used the Darlot macro and 28-80mm Tamron, set to 80mm. B/W’d it, some curve/contrast adj., but the graininess comes from the 1600 ISO, which in a Canon xTi, isn’t anything special.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

There is snow in HI, on Mauna Loa.

I suppose there is snow up there, and I’ll probably be spending quite a bit of time on top of the big volcanoes.

Also, I’m disappointed-I was looking forward to seeing how the mashed potato ice would do in the contest, though I guess it’s always better to see entries people are more comfortable with. I found a really nice pair of wintry images in my archives that I didn’t even know I had, so I’m feeling a little better about this contest.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Well, I haven’t been really able to get out and shoot much for this, but it is the first contest in a couple of weeks that I will be able to enter.
    I did get lucky a couple of weekends ago when I was back at the in-laws, and they still had some snow on the mountains. I may be able to use one or two of those shots if they get developed in time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • The topic ‘02-23-11 – Old Man Winter’ is closed to new replies.