02-29-12 – Parking Lots

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-29-12 – Parking Lots

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

Rav, what made the swirl patterns in the garage floor? I had a feeling that one was going to be leading the pack when I first saw it. Great photograph.

Probably a short piece of 2×4. It’s a pretty standard technique for concrete/stucco/plaster/sculpted ceilings to add texture.

Kind of odd to see it on the floor.

ravnostic
    Participant

Rav, what made the swirl patterns in the garage floor? I had a feeling that one was going to be leading the pack when I first saw it. Great photograph.

Orionid may be right; I wasn’t there for the construction so I’m not sure myself, but every level (there’s 6 or 7) has the same pattern.

I knew when I took the shot I had something golden…so to speak. 😛 Nice to see me doing well–it’s been a bit of time since that happened. But NBD and Ranger Joe are going to give me a run for the money with their shots–I love both of them.

Farktographer
    Participant

Henryhill’s second entry is really cool – how does one do that technique in-camera? Is it tilt-shifting of some sort?

Barracuda
    Participant

No surprise Rav’s shot’s at the top of the heap thus far. Certainly one of my top picks. Wish I’d ventured out further to find some better subject matter, but I made due with the time I had.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Henryhill’s second entry is really cool – how does one do that technique in-camera? Is it tilt-shifting of some sort?

Well, initially, I thought it was a zoom-during-exposure, but the focused area is offset instead of centered. So then I thought maybe he cropped from a larger photo and offset the crop, but the Flickr page says it was taken with a Canon Powershot G10, which doesn’t have interchangeable lenses, and I’m reasonably certain can’t zoom during exposure. So it must have been applied after-the-fact.

Also wondering if one of FDR Jones’ shots is film print or instagram. The EXIF is no help this time.

ravnostic
    Participant

At this moment: ranking is 1. Ravnostic, 2. Ranger Joe, 3. INBD, 4. Barracuda, and 5. soosh.

And in TOTAL votes…the order is exactly the same.

I don’t think I’ve seen that happen before.

Just found it interesting, carry on then.

KnightsFolly
    Participant

Egad – I just checked my photo on the monitor at work and I’m so disppointed. At home there was plenty of detail visible…even the leaves on the trees along the fence, etc. Here it just looks like a blob of black with a couple of dots of light and a splash of green. Is that the general effect for everyone else?

Barracuda
    Participant

I was wondering about that shot also. I’d be interested to find out if anyone gets the 411 on it.

Egad – I just checked my photo on the monitor at work and I’m so disppointed. At home there was plenty of detail visible…even the leaves on the trees along the fence, etc. Here it just looks like a blob of black with a couple of dots of light and a splash of green. Is that the general effect for everyone else?

I see some detail, as much as I’d expect for the size photo I’d guess.

ravnostic
    Participant

On both my laptop monitor (4.5 years old, closer to 5 now) and my ancillary monitor (much newer) I’m able to make out the trees, the truck, and clearly can see it’s a parking lot; though there are areas shrouded in black, that’s kind of the point of the lurking monster, no?

//tell the boss to pony up for a new monitor.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I was wondering about that shot also. I’d be interested to find out if anyone gets the 411 on it.

I pulled it, because it had to have been done in post-processing.

Kestrana
    Participant

It’s a little darker than you describe, on my monitor, but I think the photo perfectly captured what you said you were going for.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Wish I’d ventured out further to find some better subject matter, but I made due with the time I had.

Yes, I believe we are all in that boat. I am hoping this when mixed in with the talent in our group and the ultra wide variety of themes will all conspire to make me a better photographer. If nothing else it is fun and photography has always helped me to see the world and life in general in a better light.

/pun absolutely intended

KnightsFolly
    Participant

Whew – guess Rav is right and I should hit the boss up for a new monitor. 😉

Farktographer
    Participant

I’m able to see pretty decent detail; it goes black fast above and to the right of the Monster van.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yes, I believe we are all in that boat. I am hoping this when mixed in with the talent in our group and the ultra wide variety of themes will all conspire to make me a better photographer. If nothing else it is fun and photography has always helped me to see the world and life in general in a better light.

/pun absolutely intended

This is how it’s worked out for me. The occasional highly voted picture is a bonus.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘02-29-12 – Parking Lots’ is closed to new replies.