02-29-12 – Parking Lots

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-29-12 – Parking Lots

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

How good of a photographer are you? Can you make something plain look good? Prove it with your best shots of parking lots.

Theme suggestion kudos go to Farktographer!

Yugoboy
    Participant

Yay!

I’ve got my shots (have had for a while, now.)

Here’s hoping the voters reward some out of the box thinking for a couple of ’em.

Barracuda
    Participant

Been waiting to ask when this one came up in queue: are Parking Garages valid if the photo is from the inside the garage, of said garage?

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I would certainly think so. But I guess I should let Farktographer have the last word.

Farktographer
    Participant

In the hopper we decided that all parking garages are also in, and it doesn’t matter whether the lots have cars in them or not. So inside or outside, that’s fine.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I’ve had shot set aside for this one for a few months now. As part of my last job I had to chain drag a parking garage (it’s exactly what is sounds like, I walked backwards dragging a chain around a parking garage), the upside was that I had access to a virtualy empty parking garage. For some reason I took my camera to work that night 😉

orionid
    Participant

Sooo…… I’m going to go ahead and assume a field used as parking for things like state fairs, flea markets, etc are kosher, but what about a field where farmers park their old cars to die?

Edit to add: This isn’t the one I’m considering, but it’s very similar. Lots of cars, but nowhere near junkyard level.

Car Park (Hipstamatic) by Davidap2009, on Flickr

staplermofo
    Participant

I was really eager to show off my hand-brake and reverse doughnut skills in a snowy parking lot, but nooooooooooooo. Unseasonably clement weather.
    Chicago, baby, you know I love you, why you got’sta hurt me so bad?

Farktographer
    Participant

Sooo…… I’m going to go ahead and assume a field used as parking for things like state fairs, flea markets, etc are kosher, but what about a field where farmers park their old cars to die?

Edit to add: This isn’t the one I’m considering, but it’s very similar. Lots of cars, but nowhere near junkyard level.

Car Park (Hipstamatic) by Davidap2009, on Flickr

Let’s go with the Wikipedia definition on this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_lot

“A parking lot (Commonwealth English: car park), also known as car lot, is a cleared area that is intended for parking vehicles. Usually, the term refers to a dedicated area that has been provided with a durable or semi-durable surface.”

With that in mind, I’d think an empty parking garage fits the definition more than an old field where people tend to abandon cars. Love the shot, but I’m struggling with whether or not it feels “right” in the theme. Anyone else have a say? I’m willing to lighten up the reigns, but I don’t want it to fall apart into people taking photos of their garage or something.

fluffybunny
    Participant
    Farktographer wrote:

Let’s go with the Wikipedia definition on this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_lot

“A parking lot (Commonwealth English: car park), also known as car lot, is a cleared area that is intended for parking vehicles. Usually, the term refers to a dedicated area that has been provided with a durable or semi-durable surface.”

With that in mind, I’d think an empty parking garage fits the definition more than an old field where people tend to abandon cars. Love the shot, but I’m struggling with whether or not it feels “right” in the theme. Anyone else have a say? I’m willing to lighten up the reigns, but I don’t want it to fall apart into people taking photos of their garage or something.

My take on the theme [FWIW] is that the challenge is to take the mundane and make it beautiful, in this case the “car park”. While I like Orionid’s shot (and am a sucker for old machinery, cars especially) I don’t see the subject as mundane, therefore out of bounds. [/FWIW]

Yugoboy
    Participant

Does it have to be a “car” parking lot?

Not to give too much away, but 2 of my 3 are non-car lots, but they are definitely places people have parked specific conveyances.

Farktographer
    Participant

Let’s go with *just* car lots on this one, because that levels the playing field (everyone has access to a boring old parking lot) and makes sure that you’re doing your damnest to make something that is boring into something interesting. A rail yard with parked trains is just too cool compared to the local wal-mart 😉

Yoyo
    Participant

So, if it’s *just* cars, that means no motorcycle, tractor-trailer, or armored military vehicle specific parking areas?
    I was under the impression that the idea was to focus more on the lot than the cars in them, i.e. don’t lose the forest for the trees.

Farktographer
    Participant

So, if it’s *just* cars, that means no motorcycle, tractor-trailer, or armored military vehicle specific parking areas?
    I was under the impression that the idea was to focus more on the lot than the cars in them, i.e. don’t lose the forest for the trees.

I didn’t want this to be so convoluted. Photos of parking lots. Plain ol’ parking lots. Doesn’t matter what’s parked in them, doesn’t matter if they’re empty or full, but the subject should be the lot, not the things parked there.

If you ask someone, “is this a parking lot?” when they see your photo, the answer should be a solid, “yes.” I don’t know anyone who would call a boat dock a parking lot, or an airplane hangar a parking lot, so let’s not stretch things too far with the vehicles.

Yugoboy
    Participant

OK… back to the drawing board…

However, I love my car one, so I’m starting off in a good place…

(My other 2 were a bike parking lot from Tupper Lake’s Tin Man Triathalon and a gondola parking lot from Venice…)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘02-29-12 – Parking Lots’ is closed to new replies.