03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

Ok, thanks Els!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

n/p 🙂

Kestrana
    Participant

“”My thoughts re:saying archive dives were okay was threefold, 1. On the off chance you opened a book and went “man I already have a perfect shot for that” 2. Because this exact exercise is common in other forms of media (we did it every day in creative writing – taking sentence prompts) I thought there might be a few who had done it before and. 3. I never like limiting themes if it isn’t necessary and I figured the casual interpretation and participation would benefit. Since llama didn’t chime in arte a few days I did

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m down with all of that.

Yoyo
    Participant

Regarding my photo for notation, the first book I picked was the dictionary on coffee table, and I managed to select notation, and I figured the phonetic spelling notation would suffice.

My second book is Introduction to Real Analysis by DuPree and Swartz and the selected passage is “Chapter 14 The Gauge Integral Over Unbounded Intervals”. It’s too late for me to go out and take the photo I’m planning on.

So far it looks like a low turnout this week. I do like the windmill, but also the sidewalk and floating horse.

orionid
    Participant

I was only putting the “new shot” restriction on myself because finding shots to fit random quotes seemed like a big hassle. It wasn’t specified in the theme so I don’t see an issue with archive dives.

This. Word for word.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Obviously I overinterpreted–wouldn’t be the first time 😆

fluffybunny
    Participant

The windmill shot was a dive. The other two were fresh. The scenario with the windmill shot was as a couple people have described: I opened “Breakfast of Champions” and that was the first sentence I saw, I said to myself “I have the perfect photograph for that”. The others, not so much.

edited to say:

Thanks kashari and Baracuda.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to fluffybunny for the “Best” category win and to orionid for the “Funniest” category win this week!

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m sorry I did not participate this week (hey–I voted though), congrats flufy and the big O.

I probably won’t participate for Legos, either. I will try–theoretically it’s possible. I just can’t think of what to do with them after the contest, and the apt. is crowded enough already.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to fluffybunny on the sweep of both individual and combined. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats.

We had 4 unvotes Thurs evening this week (it’s gotta just be someone not paying attention, right?):

User=kestrana, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430137, ScanID=3075701, Time=2012-03-08 20:30:00, Votes=11, Place=2
    User=kestrana, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430137, ScanID=3075740, Time=2012-03-08 20:45:00, Votes=10, Place=4

User=Linguine, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430121, ScanID=3075719, Time=2012-03-08 20:30:00, Votes=5, Place=21
    User=Linguine, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430121, ScanID=3075760, Time=2012-03-08 20:45:00, Votes=4, Place=25

User=orionid, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430091, ScanID=3075706, Time=2012-03-08 20:30:00, Votes=8, Place=8
    User=orionid, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430091, ScanID=3075749, Time=2012-03-08 20:45:00, Votes=7, Place=12

User=Yugoboy, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430089, ScanID=3075722, Time=2012-03-08 20:30:00, Votes=5, Place=21
    User=Yugoboy, ContestID=357, EntryID=75430089, ScanID=3075762, Time=2012-03-08 20:45:00, Votes=4, Place=25

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Well, this contest was a bit of a record-setter. It’s the new #1 in lowest # of entrants (17) and lowest total votes (302), edging out the previous records of 18 entrants (Barbie and Ken) and 333 votes (Pinhole Camera).

I don’t think that reflects on the quality of the theme; I think maybe there’s just a perfect storm of regulars who are busy with real life situations. That’s the case for me; right now (and for the past few months), if it isn’t amenable to a quick archive dive (and sometimes regardless), I just can’t do it. I’m only here posting today because I’m unwinding from 2 weeks on the road. (Not looking for sympathy; that’s just the facts, Jack.)

So while I had a few minutes today, I put together some charts to try to gauge the overall health of the contests. The following charts cover all contests starting when the rules were standardized at #7 and show the total Entrants, Entries, and Votes. Each chart has an overall average line as well as sliding quarter and sliding year average lines. For those unfamiliar with sliding averages, they’re basically a way of looking at recent short-term trends as opposed to the long-term view shown by the overall average; i.e., the sliding averages forecast where the overall overage is headed if the recent trends continue.

You can see from the SQ average line that all 3 stats have taken a precipitous dive starting late last year. I also found it interesting that while the number of entrants has steadily declined, the number of entries declined only slightly (even rising sometimes) and the average number of votes has actually steadily increased. Until recently, that is. The overall average total votes peaked at 1574 on Oct 26, 2011 and has been slowly declining since.

What’s the cause? Is the recent downturn a foreboding omen or just a “market correction”? Is it related to the voting changes, have we just had a spate of less open themes, or is everyone just too busy? Where have some of our past regulars gone (LeicaLens/No Catchy Nickname and Uranus come to mind)? I have no answers, so all opinions welcome…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’ve just been too busy-I barely have any time for research, let alone photography. And it was my theme! There is light at the end of the tunnel though, I know this massive onslaught of homework is going to end soon-we’re on the last assignment for the semester in one class, and the instructor for the other class has a week-long trip just before spring break.

Kestrana
    Participant

I just talked to LeicaLens re: farkbook and he is super busy and not feeling photography right now but he said he will be back eventually. We all go through those periods.

As for other things I honestly think the change in voting has hurt all Fark contest threads.

fluffybunny
    Participant

CISS,

Thanks for the data (likes me some data). I have wondered during my short time here if there was not a correlation between entrants and votes. It looks like to me just flipping back and forth with the two charts that there is a pretty strong one. While I don’t think the farktographers are the only voters, they appear to be a major player in they constituency.

This may support the idea of “open themes”, those that very casual (polar opposite of regulars) photographers participate in netting the most votes because the voting population is the participating population, or at least in a significant way.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration’ is closed to new replies.