03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Open a book at random, pick the first word or phrase you see, and photograph it. Repeat x2.

Theme suggestion thanks go to Plamadude30k!

orionid
    Participant

We can use different books for each shot, yes? Like I could use YellowPages, David Copperfield, and Amazing Sex for Dummies?

Yoyo
    Participant

Are we supposed to photograph the word? In the book? I’ll need to setup my macro rig for that. 😀

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Here’s an example:
    Shot one: Straight Man, Richard Russo, page 115, middle:
    “Starting Monday, I kill a duck a day…”
    I post a pic of a duck and a guillotine.

Shot two: Galen Rowell’s Vision: The Art of Adventure Photography, Galen Rowell, page 194, photo caption:
    “Pattern, texture, and depth”
    I photograph something with said qualities.

Shot three: Exoplanet Atmospheres, Sara Seager, page 70, middle:
    “…[T]ell us where a cloud can form”
    I take a pic of somebody pointing at a cloud.

These are just simple examples from the three books closest to me. You can use just one book, or two, or three.

Kestrana
    Participant

Aw shit I just realized this is next week so now I have to get a pile of books to look through and actually shoot something new.

lokisbong
    Participant

Aw shit I just realized this is next week so now I have to get a pile of books to look through and actually shoot something new.

I have the same problem. Well except all most every book in our apartment is sci-fi or fantasy and the few times I opened a sci-fi book I invariably point to some one getting shot with a ray gun or being attacked by space aliens. lol Have you tried to photograph a Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal?

Barracuda
    Participant

I’m tempted to use some of the photography books I have just to force myself to try a new technique while I’m out. Wife is out of town this weekend for a concert cycle in Midland, so I should have some time to get mine done Fri/Saturday.

Farktographer
    Participant

It scares me a bit that I haven’t shot this yet, and all I have around me are chemistry books and the Game of Thrones (okay, technically A Song of Ice and Fire) series. Neither seems like it’d give much to work with 😮

fluffybunny
    Participant

It scares me a bit that I haven’t shot this yet, and all I have around me are chemistry books and the Game of Thrones (okay, technically A Song of Ice and Fire) series. Neither seems like it’d give much to work with 😮

Don’t be askeert, I live in this last minute world. I see little hints that other people shoot in advance but I’ve only pulled it off a couple of times now (and by that I mean a couple of photographs, not whole contests).

Speaking of chemistry, I pulled down a turn of the last century text on fermentation methods and using the prescribed selection technique came up with “frozen chicken” which I think has good possibilities.

staplermofo
    Participant

Could someone who reads contemporary fiction post three for me?
    I’ve been on a history kick lately, and that puts me at a distinct disadvantage. Chicago has laws against using a Vickers or Maxim gun to mow down conscripted peasantry.

sleeping
    Participant

Chicago has laws against using a Vickers or Maxim gun to mow down conscripted peasantry.

Damn, another place to scratch off the list…

kashari
    Participant

Do these have to be new shots or can we archive dive?

Yugoboy
    Participant

Could someone who reads contemporary fiction post three for me?
    I’ve been on a history kick lately, and that puts me at a distinct disadvantage. Chicago has laws against using a Vickers or Maxim gun to mow down conscripted peasantry.

I feel your pain. I pretty much only read history these days. I’m thinking of using a book and then going to a large cemetery to shoot the names I find/am assigned.

If you leave yourself open enough to interpretation, you could use the history stuff… from your example above – Brian Vickers is a NASCAR driver – shoot somebody wearing a Brian Vickers hat. And Maxim… I do believe there’s a magazine by that name…
    I just finished The Cold War by John Lewis Gaddis. If I open to a passage on Russia, I can shoot some vodka, or a passage on Germany gets me a BMW or Mercedes, and if I pull the Berlin Wall, I’ve got some archive shots of pieces of it from FDR’s place in Hyde Park.

You’re a creative out-of-the-box kind of guy… you can do this!

bender16v
    Participant

I also just realized this one is next week. I’ve been reading old literature and business books, which might not be too good. Our bookshelves are mostly full of poetry books since my wife studied, writes, and teaches that. Possibly I can find some good ideas in a Bukowski book. This can be a good project for the weekend.

Yoyo
    Participant

I was thinking of pulling out my grad school math book (Real Analysis I & II, Math 527/528). This reminds me that I wanted to look to see if there are any continuous function that are unintigrable, which makes me wonder what the integral of the Blancmange function is.

I’m also thinking about William Gibson and Neuromancer which starts “The sky above the port was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.” Of course, all the channels are dead now on my analogue receiver CRT set, except some of the Mexican channels (broadcast from Mexico, not just Spanish language). The only hard part would be randomly opening it to the first page of text. My favorite bits are other parts, so they get reread more.

Can we do this more than three times and pick the best result? Or is that cheating by using multiple books and taking multiple photos then deciding?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration’ is closed to new replies.