03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

First attempt:
    “Acetyl-CoA has now been formed, but the lipoamide group of E2 must be regenerated.” WTF.

Second attempt:
    “And here I thought we were just talking about cocks and c*nts.” – wow, NSFW much? Thanks, George R.R. Martin.

Third attempt:
    “This anion is protonated by the ammonia solvent to give an alkenyl radical that is further reduced by accepting another electron to give an alkenyl anion.”

Fourth attempt:
    “In the center of the room, the dwarf stood with his servants, and four strangers in the black of the Night’s Watch.” Okay, finally something shootable – now I just need to find the local dwarf and get him to pose with some servants and strangers.

Soooo…Yoyo, I’m figuring we can do it more than three and pick the best result. I have a feeling my first 20 or so choices might end up with 3 good photos =P

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Yeah, I’d say it’s alright to throw out a particular quote if it’s unshootable.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah, I’d say it’s alright to throw out a particular quote if it’s unshootable.

Good thing. I plan on using Dune novels; the original and GE of D were easy–got good ones on the first try. Chapterhouse, though, it’s all dialogue! Nothing along the lines of usable dialog, either. Still looking.

orionid
    Participant

“What’s Fobuserdeemus?” Klitz asked accusingly. “The moons of Mars. I was talking about aerodynamic braking in the Martian atmosphere.”
    Contact, Carl Sagan.

Yeah, that ain’t gonna happen.

Farktographer
    Participant

Taking the, “What’s Fobuserdeemus?” alone is like begging for a blatantly confusing picture.

Barracuda
    Participant

Hoping one of my shots last night is usable for my first line, have my second picked and need to shoot that tonight if I have any oomph left after 48mi on the road bike this morning. Still need to pick my third.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Except for “Mandatory Procrastination” I do believe this is the first contest I waited until the week of, and shot specifically for.

My three quotes (after some false starts in other tomes) came from 101 Damnations : http://www.amazon.com/101-Damnations-Humorists-Personal-Hells/dp/0312284802 which worked perfectly.

I actually remembered this week that years and years ago I had purchased a 2 light bar at a garage sale. I actually needed it for one of my quotes. The coolest thing (to me) is that it was designed for photographic use as it mounted perfectly on my tripod.

So… after I hit the treadmill I’m gonna do my selecting from all the shots and get my entries set up.

This turned out far more fun than I expected
    (I had a reason to visit a couple parking garages in the city… discovered the swirly things that made ravnostic‘s entry so cool aren’t limited to whatever city he’s in… I’ve never considered them as vantage points for photography at altitude, but…)

kashari
    Participant

Sorry if I missed it, but is this a no archive diving contest? I’m thinking about using a couple of horse books like the Tao of Equus or Horses & Their Women , but couldn’t get access to any horses for new shots.

But if it has to be new shots, that’s ok, I’ll see what else I can come up with.

ravnostic
    Participant

(I had a reason to visit a couple parking garages in the city… discovered the swirly things that made ravnostic‘s entry so cool aren’t limited to whatever city he’s in… I’ve never considered them as vantage points for photography at altitude, but…)

I haves been intri-goo’yed. And I haz no ting. Haven’t even tried. Might skip it. Hate to, though.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I haves been intri-goo’yed. And I haz no ting. Haven’t even tried. Might skip it. Hate to, though.

One reason 101 Damnations worked so well is that it’s basically 101 humorists griping about daily life… so the quotes were about subject matter at hand… tomorrow’s Tuesday… you’re getting to the point where you’re going to have to pull out a tour guide or a book about the Cardinals 😉

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah I am still at a loss for this one. Every time I open a book around here the first line I see is dwarves fighting monsters Or some scifi line I have no idea how to translate to pictures. Or people on horses and there are none around here that I have found in at least 6 months and they were not being ridden. I really should have done this a long time ago and gone to the library nut the last three times I went by the library it was closed. DOH!

orionid
    Participant

I’ve got my quotes. I just need to make the photos.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Fluffybunny first, I have TWO contests in the can, this week and next week. Probably only because I had to borrow the legos some time ago and didn’t want to keep them too long. Not sure what I’m gonna do with all my free time.

And yes, as Yugoboy said about this contest, me likey.

Farktographer
    Participant

I’m sad – I think I’ll have to sit this one out. My books half left me with little, and my free time with nothing else. Already prepp’d for the Lego and Holga ones, though.

Kestrana
    Participant

kashari in lieu of another response, there’s nothing in the discussion that suggest you cannot archive dive if you know you already shot a picture that goes well with a line in a book you found.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • The topic ‘03-07-12 – Instant Inspiration’ is closed to new replies.