03-16-11 – Black

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

I was thinking of using a sunrise silhouette as well. Sounds like that might be a popular type of image for this theme. I thought I had nothing until I sat down and had a think about it last night. Now I’ve got a few solid entries. I may have to ask somebody to post OBO for me, however, as I don’t know where I’ll be or if I’ll have internet access when the contest rolls around.

U-Man
    Participant

I read the part about “not meant to be a black and white contest”. But can I use a B&W pic if I want to?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think so. I interpret it that it doesn’t say you can’t use b/w, just that it’s not meant to be restricted to b/w.

However, I will say this. Shooting something bright and colorful against a black background would seem to go against the spirit of the theme since the attention is more on the color than on the black. This comes up with every color theme, though, and clouddancer can clarify if need be. Probably too late to restrict anything at this point, though.

linguine
    Participant

I read the part about “not meant to be a black and white contest”. But can I use a B&W pic if I want to?

I assumed that it as long as the original subject was captured as black, black and white would be fine, but taking something like a blue object and making it look black through a black and white conversion wouldn’t be ok.

U-Man
    Participant

Cool. I’m fighting drooping eyes while looking through the files. I might have to finish this tomorrow.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I assumed that it as long as the original subject was captured as black, black and white would be fine, but taking something like a blue object and making it look black through a black and white conversion wouldn’t be ok.

That makes sense

clouddancer
    Participant

Linguine has it right. I included the not meant to be a B&W contest specifically for that. As in I didn’t want people using black and white as a way to get more things to look black than already were. Apologies if that is confusing. ‘Twas intended to be a color contest like the rest, just with black this time. It seemed like an interesting thing to do. I was futzing over some pictures last night I think it was and trying to get my husband’s input (he sometimes has a better eye for this than I do) and when I told him it was my idea for this, he said I screwed myself or something like that. Seems that this was harder than originally thought.

Again, apologies if I make no sense. I’m keeping myself up as I have a sleep study at 6 a.m. (I work more overnights than anything so I’m going in for a “daytime” one) and they don’t want me to have naps or caffeine. Thankfully, I’m not driving me down to this. I really want to go to sleep, but I’m not allowed. We leave in about two and a half hours. Ugh.

ravnostic
    Participant

I was futzing over some pictures last night I think it was and trying to get my husband’s input (he sometimes has a better eye for this than I do) and when I told him it was my idea for this, he said I screwed myself or something like that.

I have yet to do (as) well in a theme I suggested (than those others suggest). I wouldn’t worry about it.

I need a third entry, I have naught what I want to post for one, yet I have to do laundry, shopping, cleaning, and cooking for the week, all before an interview at 5pm for a promotion.

Which reminds me–5pm here is 8pm for farktography (now that DST is back), and I’ll be going in straight to work after that. Can anyone OBO me? Assuming, of course, that I pick or take that third contest entry?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’m with Rav, I’ll probably need somebody to OBO for me-I’ll either be in a lecture or at a professor’s house when the contest goes live. There’s a small chance I may be able to post, however. Let’s say that if I don’t post by an hour after the contest goes up on TF, somebody will probably have to OBO for me. Anybody willing?

Here’s the code for the entries if anyone is willing:

Sunrise Silhouette
    This was taken early one morning on the Catalina Highway north of Tucson. I normally don’t like seeing sunrise (I like sleeping instead), but the gentleness of this one called to me, so I had to stop my car. 1/3, Pops.

Electric Candles in the Dark
    Taken in a ridiculous hotel in Banff, Canada-it’s actually a castle. My brother and I spent a whole evening just exploring the castle. This scene in particular called to me-it was so atmospheric. 2/3, Pops.

Black Hawaiian Lava and a Tidepool
    Taken a few years ago at Christmas. At that time, I had no idea I might be living here in a couple years! 3/3, Pops.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Wait, B+W is allowed? Great, now I can use that schoolbus pic!
    Seriously, to me using B+W or even silhouetting is a bit of a “cheat” for this one. I don’t percieve it to be “in the spirit” of the color themes.
    Having said that, at least one of my entries will push the envelope on the definition of “black”.

plamadude and ravnostic, I could post OBO for you, but I’m a liter now, so it would have to wait until we go live. If you want to reach me about it, please use my gmail addy “one.big.voice” 8)

/I’m hoping for a Tap reference somewhere in the contest – maybe the winner can be named “none more black”?

Kestrana
    Participant

I can OBO you both

Kestrana
    Participant

With silhouettes my thought is, a shadow is black. Taking a picture of a shadow would be taking a picture of a black object. A silhouette is a shadow on the object casting it. Thus a silhouette is also black and perfectly valid for this contest.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Thanks, Kestrana, that would be most appreciated.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

😆 LOL!! You realize why that’s funny right?

But seriously, you raise good points about b/w, and obviously that was clouddancer‘s intent as well (and clouddancer, don’t feel bad…there’s always interpretations and misinterpretations no matter how well we think we word our theme descriptions!)

U-Man
    Participant

😆 LOL!! You realize why that’s funny right?

Ha Ha. Verra funny mutha fucka. 🙂 I still say it was a clever idea.

/but i’ve put that behind me…grumble grumble

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • The topic ‘03-16-11 – Black’ is closed to new replies.