03-16-11 – Black

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    kashari
    Participant

Well, we always find that there are shades of meaning and interpretation regardless of how a theme is worded. In this case, it wasn’t the intent for this to be a monochrome/black and white theme, but the theme wasn’t worded as prohibiting those shots outright, so by the time that nuance was brought out, it was kind of too late to specifically prohibit b/w images.

I guess part of my confusion comes from reading the discussions and then having those comments in my head, i.e. From Clouddancer: “Linguine has it right. I included the not meant to be a B&W contest specifically for that. As in I didn’t want people using black and white as a way to get more things to look black than already were. Apologies if that is confusing. ‘Twas intended to be a color contest like the rest, just with black this time…” And it was also mentioned that we shouldn’t use a colorful object against a black background, so I was confused and late. 😆

So I guess I should concentrate more on the description and then if things brought up in the discussion are made part of the difficulty, I’ll worry about them then. Thanks Elsinore!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, focus on the description, because sometimes things are said in discussion that aren’t set in stone (like my comment about colorful things on black backgrounds). And also, ask questions early if there’s any confusion, because we can clarify, and if it’s early enough, we can reword the theme or add the clarification to it (then it is set in stone 😆 )

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah, focus on the description, because sometimes things are said in discussion that aren’t set in stone (like my comment about colorful things on black backgrounds). And also, ask questions early if there’s any confusion, because we can clarify, and if it’s early enough, we can reword the theme or add the clarification to it (then it is set in stone 😆 )

Theme: “Set in Stone”–show things that can’t be changed. Difficulty: No changes or clarifications to theme allowed! 😉

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

A six-pack of bees: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/sets/72157626007121333/

I really like the second one, called “pepper pile”, as a photo. But I doesn’t fit the black theme as well as the ones you posted, so good call… I’d definitely keep it in mind for another contest though.

Thank you very much – I like how all those peppercorn shots turned out, so for sure I will look for an opportunity to use them 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

A couple scarlet aarrgghhs have crept in, I see. Great theme–lots of good pictures I’ve enjoyed. I echo the peppercorn kudos.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

A couple scarlet aarrgghhs have crept in, I see. Great theme–lots of good pictures I’ve enjoyed. I echo the peppercorn kudos.

Thank you too. I think I hooped myself on the voting for that one though. I noticed some dust/dirt on the image, so I cleaned it up with Picnik. When I went to save the edited version, it crossed my mind that it may change the URL. I checked Fark after, but it still had the unedited version showing. It’s gone now – so yeah, my bad, sorry about that 😳

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Kestrana this week! And yes, next week is “Me Love You Long Time” 😳

Kestrana
    Participant

Thank you

olavf
    Participant

Congrats Kestrana!

/sorry I’m late – we actually *gasp* not only left the house yesterday, we even went to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CITY!

Kestrana
    Participant

If any mod gets a chance would you please move over the OBO votes to ravnostic and Plamadude30k. Thanks!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ll get those after tonight’s posting. Thanks for the reminder and sorry I didn’t do that last week!

Kestrana
    Participant

No worries, I actually forgot about it until I looked at the FSM to see my recent vote avg goal for this week and was momentarily confused by the 150+ votes hehe

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, they’re switched over in the FSM. Should update in the next day or so.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • The topic ‘03-16-11 – Black’ is closed to new replies.