03-16-11 – Black

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hey guys, I’m going to be without interwebs until this afternoon (Farkistan time), so if there’s something that needs immediate attention, use the Farkback link. Otherwise, I can take care of it when I’m connected again.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

posted my pix 6hrs after thread went live, and there were already 150+ up, with the leaders boasting double-digit votes…….

orionid
    Participant

I’m going to give the benifit of the doubt, in that my work monitor sucks, but,
    Neutrino 2011-03-17 09:23:04 AM
    and
    gorrck 2011-03-17 11:13:54 AM
    appear to be pretty heavily ‘shopped.

olavf
    Participant

gorrck does appear to have blown the curves off the chart.

Neutrino – desaturation + edge detect?

sleeping
    Participant

gorrck’s appears to be a scanned print of the sabatier effect done the old fashioned darkroom way if the description on flickr is correct.

olavf
    Participant

Ah. That would certainly make sense. I was thinking in terms of digital techniques.

orionid
    Participant

gorrck’s appears to be a scanned print of the sabatier effect done the old fashioned darkroom way if the description on flickr is correct.

well, now. That led to an interesting hour of reading. I think I just released a halide layer in my brain, causing it to crystalize silver. But yeah, his all makes sence. The other still looks like “glow edges, desaturate” to me, though.

ETA: Good technical reading here: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Solarization/solarization.html

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Neutrino’s definitely looks like edge detect…removing it.

kashari
    Participant

It’s probably too late now, but while Ennuipoet’s bar picture is quite awesome, isn’t it taking a color scene and making it black & white? I know I sometimes skim the descriptions, which then make things harder on myself, so it’s more of me wanting to understand the theme correctly.

kashari
    Participant

Ugh, I hate it when I get interrupted while posting and then lose my train of thought. Ignore the first part of the sentence in my previous post, I was starting to ask about one of my other pics I’d considered and then forgot to edit it…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, we always find that there are shades of meaning and interpretation regardless of how a theme is worded. In this case, it wasn’t the intent for this to be a monochrome/black and white theme, but the theme wasn’t worded as prohibiting those shots outright, so by the time that nuance was brought out, it was kind of too late to specifically prohibit b/w images.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Well, we always find that there are shades of meaning and interpretation regardless of how a theme is worded. In this case, it wasn’t the intent for this to be a monochrome/black and white theme, but the theme wasn’t worded as prohibiting those shots outright, so by the time that nuance was brought out, it was kind of too late to specifically prohibit b/w images.

Yup, I read it as it didn’t HAVE to be B&W, which one might infer. I was acutally surprised how few B&W shots were in the thread.

I’m actually very proud of the bar shots, I was p-lowed when I took those, my friend who bartends there was feeding me free shots. Thanks to autofocus the photos are not as blurry as I was.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant
    kashari
    Participant

Yup, I read it as it didn’t HAVE to be B&W, which one might infer. I was acutally surprised how few B&W shots were in the thread.

I’m actually very proud of the bar shots, I was p-lowed when I took those, my friend who bartends there was feeding me free shots. Thanks to autofocus the photos are not as blurry as I was.

It’s a terrific pic, ennuipoet! After seeing it, that’s when I thought I’d ask about one of mine, but it was too late by then.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

A six-pack of bees: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/sets/72157626007121333/

I really like the second one, called “pepper pile”, as a photo. But I doesn’t fit the black theme as well as the ones you posted, so good call… I’d definitely keep it in mind for another contest though.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
  • The topic ‘03-16-11 – Black’ is closed to new replies.