03-26-08 – From a Distance

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-26-08 – From a Distance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Images that give a sense of distance from your subject(s). Difficiulty: Subjects must be earthbound. No sunsets/sunrises, stars, etc.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, Killerclaw!

jpatten
    Participant

Hmmm I have anew 300mm lens that could be useful… though come to think of it.. THe kit lens might be best.
    Need to dig out some of my old Grand canyon shots and scan them in

corsec67
    Participant

Hmmm I have anew 300mm lens that could be useful… though come to think of it.. THe kit lens might be best.
    Need to dig out some of my old Grand canyon shots and scan them in

The problem is that this theme isn’t “Shoot something with a long lens”, but to show distance. Thus, a wider lens might be more useful.
    And then there is other kinds of “distance”, but there is no way I am going to be able to get 2 models, or have them show emotional distance.

johnebones
    Participant

Images that give a sense of distance from your subject

corsec67 The problem is that this theme isn’t “Shoot something with a long lens”, but to show distance.

What about earthbound images taken from a distance with a telephoto lens that show a perspective difference between far away objects ?
    For example, this image of the first leg of a triathalon (taken from a hillside about 500 yards away).

http://www.pbase.com/johnebones/image/20919554

Just curious. If that’s not the idea of the challenge, no problem.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think that looks fine. Any input, Killerclaw?

Killerclaw
    Participant

I think that looks fine. Any input, Killerclaw?

I like it. I personally have been standing on hill taking pictures of things all week 😀

lokisbong
    Participant

yeah I’ve been driving up mountain roads a lot for this one too.we don’t have many “hills”. Just the Cascade Mountain range.

what about birds in flight?I know it says earth bound but

SilverStag
    Participant

I think wide works better for showing distance (Sigma 10-20):

lokisbong
    Participant

so more like this you think?

Killerclaw
    Participant

so more like this you think?

Yes, exactly.

lokisbong
    Participant

very cool.thank you.I have a few to pick from and I know where to go to get some more if the weather clears up.

U-Man
    Participant

I have been having difficulty with this one. Sure, I can take pics of stuff that is far away, but the photos kinda suck. I have one creative idea (alternative interpretation of theme) but I don’t know if I’ll get the time to shoot it.

wickedfish2
    Participant

I have a “stitched” landscape image I would like to enter. Would this be acceptable?

linguine
    Participant

No, stitching isnt allowed in regular contests, but someone did bring up the idea of doing another stitching contest so you may get the chance to use it later.

wickedfish2
    Participant

Drat!… foiled again. Let’s do it another time!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • The topic ‘03-26-08 – From a Distance’ is closed to new replies.