03-26-08 – From a Distance

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-26-08 – From a Distance

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

I’m moderately surprised that my shot of Briana and Leo isn’t doing better than it appears to be – anyone else ever think that their tastes in their own photos might be really, really skewed compared to vox populi?

(And thanks for the comment, Mr.BobDobalita!)

My best vote getter this week is the one I like least.

I put it in because the one I wanted to use was in my laptop which I forgot at work.

Go figure… 😮

Flavivirus
    Participant

I thought my ‘towering’ photo would get more votes than my shinjuku photo (i didn’t know if people would realize that shinjuku is that tiny cluster of tall buildings off in the distance).

Two good stories though:
    My towering photo is the first picture I ever took with my brand new sigma 10-20mm 🙂 I don’t get how i’ll use that lens, but i’ll figure it out over time.

The shinjuku photo is a raw photo from over 500 I took at various zoom levels, and I’ve constructed a 360degree panorama view of tokyo on this beautiful blue sunny day based upon it. When it’s all said and done, it’s equivalent to a 800mp photo. I love it, dunno what i’ll do to it, but I love it.

lokisbong
    Participant

I’m moderately surprised that my shot of Briana and Leo isn’t doing better than it appears to be – anyone else ever think that their tastes in their own photos might be really, really skewed compared to vox populi?

Dunno…maybe you need more toddler?

Seriously, though, I love that lightning shot, Caradoc. And Flavivirus‘s Tokyo and the tower in China. And Morningbreath‘s lone tree. And farking_clever‘s Mt. McKinley. And mattietoldhattie‘s Mt. Fuji. And lokisbong‘s Castle Rock. And jimpoz‘s Vegas. Damn, just too much good stuff, people 😀

thank you .yours were very cool too.the majority of the pics this week are very good. 😀

andyofne
    Participant

Dunno…maybe you need more toddler?

Seriously, though, I love that lightning shot, Caradoc. And Flavivirus‘s Tokyo and the tower in China. And Morningbreath‘s lone tree. And farking_clever‘s Mt. McKinley. And mattietoldhattie‘s Mt. Fuji. And lokisbong‘s Castle Rock. And jimpoz‘s Vegas. Damn, just too much good stuff, people 😀

thank you .yours were very cool too.the majority of the pics this week are very good. 😀

Mine sucked. 😉

idle_hands
    Participant

pretty great thread this week. coulda used more power plant shots tho :oP

i *loved* latecomer batsforsteadman’s eerie light

Killerclaw
    Participant

Can I get some constructive criticism on my entries? I tanked this week, I think I know why but I’d like to hear from others.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Can I get some constructive criticism on my entries? I tanked this week, I think I know why but I’d like to hear from others.

The only thing I noticed with your pictures was that they were a bit washed out. Overall though I thought 2 out of the three were decent.

This was a tough one I took about a thousand shots and when I looked at them I was like meh…

The best one I thought I had I didn’t post.

Oh well ….I guess I’ll start workin on next week. 🙂

FutherMucker
    Participant

Great show, gang ! I think these last two weeks were my favorites so far. Certainly not from what I had to offer, but from what I’ve seen. I’m living vicariously through all of your eyes….The archives are getting dusty here, and I am badly in need of a photo trip !! 2008 is going to be a good year ! 8)

sleeping
    Participant

Two things IMO:

1. You’re at a bit of a disadvantage posting narrow horizontal images, I think – because you’ve only got 640px of width the total image size is very small, and you haven’t provided a link to a larger version (I’m not saying horizontal images *can’t* do well, mind you, but it definitely doesn’t help)

2. Need more contrast. The first one especially would benefit a good deal by a contrast boost, but they all look a bit flat.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well thank you 🙂 I knew going in mine weren’t that strong, though. I think it’s SilverStag who calls it an exhibition when you’re just in it to participate that week. I wanted to go shoot for this contest, but I just didn’t get the chance. Damn real life getting in the way…

Mine sucked. 😉

Actually, I loved your driving shot. Were you hanging your camera out the window? It reminded me of a car commercial.

pretty great thread this week. coulda used more power plant shots tho :oP

hehe! I know you like those power plants. That foggy bridge shot is awesome, btw.

I can’t add much that hasn’t already been said about the contrast, but one thing to watch maybe is the time of day you’re taking those types of shots. That’s some of what killed mine, particularly the Ali Center one–they were shot in the later afternoon, and the haze can get bad. I can’t remember what you’re shooting, but if you have the ability to use a polarizing filter, that can help. I really liked (and voted for) your shot of the mountains and the ranch. Don’t sweat it too much; there’ll be good weeks and weeks that aren’t as good. You have a good eye, though 🙂

Killerclaw
    Participant

Yeah, I haven’t gotten filters for my new XT yet. I need to get on that, I was in the store today and forgot. Next semester I’m taking photography course, so I can hone my skills 😀

SilverStag
    Participant

Well, first off, remember that it’s Farkers doing the voting 🙂

Second, perhaps the only way to get a fair “contest” (and I use the word “contest” very loosely here, because it really is only an exhibition) is to have a blind voting period before you announce a ‘winner’, which is undoubtedly far too much work for a simple Fark thread.

My ideal contest site would work something like this:

People who are qualified voters (i.e. there’s some requirement, no matter how loose) are presented with a randomized set of images from the contest that they score by some criteria (conformance to theme, technical merit, artistic merit, whatever else) and the scores are averaged/weighted to produce a single number. This helps alleviate the ‘earlier pics score better’ or ‘viewer fatigue’ issues.

It’s not easy to run a true contest, which is why I tend to use the word ‘exhibition’ a lot.

That said, this is run for fun and we need to keep that in mind. I look at my 33 or so votes in this last contest not as 10th place, but as “Hey, 33 people liked my stuff enough to vote! Cool!

lokisbong
    Participant

I am blown away I got 25 combined votes.but then again I’m blown away every time any one votes for me other than myself.

oh and I’m fine with your exhibition definition.I would hate to get the boobie prize…..on second thought 😉

FutherMucker
    Participant

Well, first off, remember that it’s Farkers doing the voting 🙂

Second, perhaps the only way to get a fair “contest” (and I use the word “contest” very loosely here, because it really is only an exhibition) is to have a blind voting period before you announce a ‘winner’, which is undoubtedly far too much work for a simple Fark thread.

My ideal contest site would work something like this:

People who are qualified voters (i.e. there’s some requirement, no matter how loose) are presented with a randomized set of images from the contest that they score by some criteria (conformance to theme, technical merit, artistic merit, whatever else) and the scores are averaged/weighted to produce a single number. This helps alleviate the ‘earlier pics score better’ or ‘viewer fatigue’ issues.

I agree with most of the above, except for the qualified voters part..If there were some sort of prize being awarded and it was only one contest per month, that would be a different story…I like the fact that any Farker can vote for images that are pleasing to their eyes. I sometimes vote on the Photoshop threads. Not based on their mad skills, but more the idea and thought that was put into it.(usually the funniest ones)….However, I’ve had some luck in a few of these contests without being a TF’er, and that really surprised me because I had always thought that the early birds get the votes…I think voter fatigue is a valid point, as I don’t often go back and vote for late entries in the Photoshop contests. I mainly visit there because of the eye candy factor, and some good laughs..I’m sure other folks treat Farktography in the same manner..Blind voting sounds good, though…Meh, I’m starting to ramble now…Carry on.

[/threadjack]
    8)

SilverStag
    Participant

I only mentioned ‘qualified’ in the sense that you would have some idea and method to prevent ballot-stuffing, joe blow on the internet would be unable to vote anonymously, so to speak- would at least have to have, say, a userid on the system.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • The topic ‘03-26-08 – From a Distance’ is closed to new replies.