04-04-12 – Pinholes, Lomos & Holgas, Oh My!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-04-12 – Pinholes, Lomos & Holgas, Oh My!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Take a photo with (but not limitied to) a pinhole, slit or zone plate camera, holga, diana, lomography, or other plastic/toy camera, an antique camera, or any device that equips the lens from one of these to your digital. Examples include: Holga, Diana, Blackbird Fly, Kodak Brownie, Hawkeye, anything homemade, pinholes, cheap-ass plastic-lens keychain digicams, or even disposable cameras.

Brought to you in full analog glory by orionid!

Farktographer
    Participant

I’ve been putting off developing rolls in Manchester, since all the places are a hassle. Oh well, time to swallow my pride and realise I’ll never teach myself how to develop within time, heh.

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah this will finally push me to develop the roll I have so far. Well if I can come up with the funds to mail it off since there is nowhere within a hundred miles to get it developed. At least I have over a month to do so.

linguine
    Participant

Do these have to be done with actual holga/lomo etc lenses this time or can we do digital fakes again like the first time we did holga/lomo?

lokisbong
    Participant

Do these have to be done with actual holga/lomo etc lenses this time or can we do digital fakes again like the first time we did holga/lomo?

Hmmmm. My new point and shoot does have a toy camera setting. I don’t find anything in the original thread about camera settings. but I might be able to rig a different lens for the cameras I have from the crappy busted 35mm I never tossed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think this was meant to be actual lo-fi shooting, even if it’s using a disposable camera’s lens on a digital camera. Or a pinhole, which wouldn’t be difficult to rig for any camera.

Yugoboy
    Participant

It wasn’t ’til after I re-read the description I realized my Spiderman camera would be good… but a couple months ago I was cleaning my hard drive of programs I never use and got rid of the software required to download from the camera. Now I can’t find the disc.

I may have to use it on the web-cam function if I’m going to participate at all…

kashari
    Participant

I think this was meant to be actual lo-fi shooting, even if it’s using a disposable camera’s lens on a digital camera. Or a pinhole, which wouldn’t be difficult to rig for any camera.

Well, maybe it won’t be difficult for you tinkerers, but the first thing I looked at about how to make a pinhole lens said you could use a body cap, but need a drill. Sharp, motorized devices and I do not get along. 😆

Nor would I have any idea how to take a lens off a disposable and put it on my camera. Is this stuff that everyone knows how to do but me? 😳

Farktographer
    Participant

Well, maybe it won’t be difficult for you tinkerers, but the first thing I looked at about how to make a pinhole lens said you could use a body cap, but need a drill. Sharp, motorized devices and I do not get along. 😆

Nor would I have any idea how to take a lens off a disposable and put it on my camera. Is this stuff that everyone knows how to do but me? 😳

No clue, either. I suppose just buying a disposable camera and tearing it to pieces then taping the lens to my camera won’t quite get the effect I’m looking for. A holga is a cheap investment – I got mine for $6.

Yoyo
    Participant

Ok, here’s how to make a pin-hole camera:
    Supplies: blue painter’s tape, aluminum foil, small pointy object like a pin, camera with removable lens like a SLR. (Body cap not required.)
    1. Remove lens from camera.
    2. Tape piece of foil over hole where lens goes, optionally being careful to block out any light leaks.
    3. Use pointy thing to poke a very small hole in the foil. Centering the hole is a good idea if you don’t want to end up with a shift pin-hole lens. This can also be done before step 2, if you have a not-so-pointy thing that causes massive tearing. Put the foil on a firm backing like corrugated cardboard, then poke the hole.
    For even more fun try holes of different sizes by using a tapered pointy thing and poking it through more or less (deeper or not so deep). Or experiment with regular thickness and heavy-duty foils. Some people recommend brass shim stock, but if you can scrounge up that, then you’ld be the sort that wouldn’t have trouble with power tools. Aluminum from a beverage can should be readily available, susceptible to heavy duty kitchen scissors, and pokeable with a thumb tack and a hard soled shoe. The foil from Hershey’s Kiss or some other candy could be carefully put into service for a very thin pin-hole.

You could get really crazy and put two holes in one piece of foil. Now I’m thinking about diffraction gratings, and the double slit experiment, etc. Also about where I can find the bottom of a Coke bottle. I may have to hit up the junk/antique/charity stores in my town.

Kestrana
    Participant

If you have a spare $25 and want style: http://www.amazon.com/Noted-STD-35e-Pinhole-Camera-STD35/dp/B000Q8Z83U

But shooting “through the lens” of another camera is pretty easy. It can be as uncomplicated as literally holding the lens up to your dslr and shooting through it although the results aren’t going to be as clear as an actual rig to hold the lens in place around your camera and block light leaks.

lokisbong
    Participant

I will have to skip the pinhole camera still for lack of funds and might not even be able to get the roll or two of 35mm film I have taken developed but I plan on dismantling the Capitol mxII I used with one of the rolls and trying to use the lens assembly with my Canon Rebel. Wish me luck. You especially orionid lol!

Yoyo if you were around here I would drag you out to the 100 year old dump in the area. There are old coke bottles and other really old bottles just laying around every where out there. For free. Last summer I found what I believe is about a hundred year old Listerine bottle just sitting on top of a pile of rusty tin cans.

kashari
    Participant

Ok, here’s how to make a pin-hole camera:

Thanks for the explanation, Yoyo, maybe I can try that method.

kestrana: from Amazon: “It assembles in less than one hour without tools or glue.” Which, in my case, would mean 4 hours with it still not being right. 😆

orionid
    Participant

No digital fakes. Pure analog goodness and/or slapping shitty optics on your dslr.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Did we decide in the original thread whether my Seagull is “lomo” enough for this theme?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • The topic ‘04-04-12 – Pinholes, Lomos & Holgas, Oh My!’ is closed to new replies.