04-18-12 – Sun in Frame

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-18-12 – Sun in Frame

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

A lot of good shots this week, but after a dozen orange sunsets, the mystery is gone…. I use IrfanView.

Agreed. This means it should be a LONG while before we do a sunrise/sunset contest–had my fill, too (and I’m guilty of two, even).

I used to use Irfanview, but with the update from last year, it makes my resizes blocky (have no idea why). I should see if there’s another update available. Most of the time, I resize to quality 4 to 6 in Canon’s DPP, and that almost always is good enough.

Trees are tough–a lot of edges take up memory.

sleeping
    Participant

I had to reduce the jpg quality twice before Fark would accept it from Flickr, even though the three files I uploaded were 215 kB, 189 kB, and finally 170 kB. I use IrfanView.

Flickr’s image processing is extraordinarily size-inefficient. For images with a lot of detail, I find quite often I need to create a 640px wide image myself and embed the original instead of using the flickr resized ones (and even in that case you need to use the original, not the medium 640 option).

powerfulkatrinka
    Participant

Why don’t I see the voting buttons? Is it me or is it Fark?

It’s me, sigh something to do withcookies. 😥

Uranus
    Participant

damn, there’s a lot of pics with single-digit votes….good ones. WTF happened while I was away?

/gotta agree with yoyo on the sunsets, though…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

damn, there’s a lot of pics with single-digit votes….good ones. WTF happened while I was away?

Voting in general in the last quarter or so has dropped to levels not seen since early 2007. Coincidentally, you’ve been gone for the last quarter. Dang, Uranus, how many groupies do you have (and more importantly, can you get them back voting again?) 😉

geom_00
    Participant

Holy AMAZING entries!!

U-Man
    Participant

Holy AMAZING entries!!

I know, right?! Who suggested this theme anyway? They must be a geni…

/nevermind
    //and that is the beginning of ‘genius’. Not ‘genital’ or ‘genital wart’ or anything else silly like that. There will be noooo silliness here.

Uranus
    Participant

damn..forgot I had this one…
    Scannen0011

ravnostic
    Participant

WTH? 140 votes at 10 am? (oh, noon EDT, or one? One.)

Somebody musta voted for everybody, but it’s nice to see the spike in the trends. 🙂

//Everybody ‘like’ the thread for added visibility? We’re some 8-10 down the list…

Though we’ll never overtake the Dick in the Box.

bender16v
    Participant

I finally got home from 27 days on the road and was able to look at the photos on the bigger screen in my office, there really are a lot of good ones. I always look forward to sleeping‘s, but I especially like the Clock Tower this week.

Yoyo
    Participant

I had to reduce the jpg quality twice before Fark would accept it from Flickr, even though the three files I uploaded were 215 kB, 189 kB, and finally 170 kB. I use IrfanView.

Flickr’s image processing is extraordinarily size-inefficient. For images with a lot of detail, I find quite often I need to create a 640px wide image myself and embed the original instead of using the flickr resized ones (and even in that case you need to use the original, not the medium 640 option).

So, how do I do that using Flickr? I’m already doing the resize myself before uploading (multiple times in this particular contest). I’m just unsure how to embed the original. Or do I learn to use Skydrive to host for Farktography?

sleeping
    Participant

So, how do I do that using Flickr? I’m already doing the resize myself before uploading (multiple times in this particular contest). I’m just unsure how to embed the original.

I usually just use the Share > Grab the HTML/BBCode option and select the original size (and HTML code)

ravnostic
    Participant

What a great top 10. This was a really fun one to participate in! Say, isn’t some astronomy theme in the works somewhere?

Nice voting returns, also; our best in a while.

//edit–actually, there was ‘win’ all over–lots of great shots. Congrat’s to U-man ftw!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man on his “Best” category win and to I’m No Big Deal on his “Funniest” category win this week!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to U-Man on the sweep of individual and combined wins. The Weekly Reports post has been updated with the latest stats.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • The topic ‘04-18-12 – Sun in Frame’ is closed to new replies.