04-18-12 – Sun in Frame

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-18-12 – Sun in Frame

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Stop me if I’m wrong but the shots U-Man posted are all ones he’s used for other themes?

Heh. Probably. I quickly grabbed them from my ‘Saved for Web’ folder as examples. Sorry if I caused a minor ruckus. (However, if I don’t find better stuff I’m sure I have unused versions.)

U-Man
    Participant

Not that I plan on using it, but what about the sun through clouds, where you can see the suns there, but not so much that you get lens flare or blowout?

Example: http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2012/apr/18/sif.jpg

//not planning on using, but a fair example of what I mean.

That’s pushing it. While there is definitely a bright spot, I’d like it less equivocal.

kashari
    Participant

damn U, man!

😆 That’s EXACTLY what I said to myself! The dragonfly & clover are amazing, you blow my mind, U-Man! Wish I could ‘see’ the way you do.

bender16v
    Participant

What you have there is Lens Flare!

Thanks, I don’t know how I didn’t recognize the classic effect of lens flare. I can see where it would detract from most photos, but this being for fark I might have to use that one.

Lens flare must be better that Gaussian Blur, it has its own app.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Lens flare must be better that Gaussian Blur, it has its own app.

🙄

Not a chance… Gaussian Blur rules the Pshop Roost!

emiliogtz
    Participant

Oh well, made a 300mm effort, I may do another one standing farther from the subject, but it’s getting really complicated, it seems I need at least 500mm over a cropped sensor, also, the sun takes only a few seconds to go away completely (never noticed that before), not too many chances a day to get the shot. No matter how much I run and I run to catch up with the sun, it’s always sinking… =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emiliogt/7078340303/

Have some images ready from the archive though.

And yes, this looks like a run for the second place, U-Man.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

No matter how much I run and I run to catch up with the sun, it’s always sinking… =)

Almost like it’s racing around to come up behind you again, eh? Love the color in that shot.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

So I keep a folder of pix that I’ve stumbled across on the web that I’d like to reproduce/reinterpret someday (as I suspect many of you do) and since I’m not going to get a chance to do it myself, here’s one that would be perfect for this contest (maybe even U-Man competitive, if well executed).

From what I have managed to scrounge up, I’ve selected two. Anyone wanna offer an opinion as to which of these should be the third? TIA.

(Edited to remove link – I manned up and made a decision. 😕 In the immortal words of Emily Litella, “Never mind.”)

U-Man
    Participant

So I keep a folder of pix that I’ve stumbled across on the web that I’d like to reproduce/reinterpret someday (as I suspect many of you do) and since I’m not going to get a chance to do it myself, here’s one that would be perfect for this contest (maybe even U-Man competitive, if well executed).

From what I have managed to scrounge up, I’ve selected two. Anyone wanna offer an opinion as to which of these should be the third? TIA.

CISS, I almost shot that last week while in Florida. 🙂 I even had the light bulb. Then I just…didn’t. But I will some day.

And by the way folks, Thank you for the compliments. I really do appreciate them. But you know that you’re completely jinxing me, right? 🙂 These shots aren’t all that technically difficult. Stick something interesting between you and the sun, have the sun peek out to varying degrees, perhaps add some fill flash to avoid a black silhouette and presto!

This is one of my go-to techniques. I like it. And these goofy themes causing us all to grow a little bit is what it’s all about.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

CISS, I almost shot that last week while in Florida. 🙂 I even had the light bulb. Then I just…didn’t. But I will some day.

That’s funny ’cause that was my thought a few minutes after posting that – “Crap, hope I didn’t just spoil the surprise of one of U-Man’s entries.” It wouldn’t have surprised me to see your version of it this week.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually tried to do something similar, but I didn’t like how it turned out. The sun was still too high in the sky, and it hasn’t been very cooperative in general with cloud cover.

orionid
    Participant

I work 12 hour days. I have no sun.

but it’s coming. and then the hammer will fall. I’m predicting now the late summer of Orionid. =D

ravnostic
    Participant

No, Orion doesn’t really show up again till September…oh, nevermind.

I have no sun, either, but I know you’ll manage. A little bird told me. Damnyoualltohell.

I certainly have my choices laid out for me with the recent solar photography through the telescope, none are ‘perfect’–I’d need to photoshop for that, but any should be enough to grab attention–votes? Who can tell? But I only want to use one, and which one is the rub. My other two will be more ‘traditional’, and hopefully vote-worthy.

linguine
    Participant

Thank you for the compliments. I really do appreciate them. But you know that you’re completely jinxing me, right? 🙂

Thats the plan.

U-Man
    Participant

Stop me if I’m wrong but the shots U-Man posted are all ones he’s used for other themes?

Heh. Probably. I quickly grabbed them from my ‘Saved for Web’ folder as examples. Sorry if I caused a minor ruckus. (However, if I don’t find better stuff I’m sure I have unused versions.)

Actually, only the gargoyle and clover were used. I did another version (different frame) of the clover and might use it. The dragonfly is in. Can’t decide about the cattail…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • The topic ‘04-18-12 – Sun in Frame’ is closed to new replies.