04-20-11 – Can I Get a Show of Hands?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-20-11 – Can I Get a Show of Hands?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I must admit I’m considering skipping out on this contest. There’s gonna be 1) the aged old hand together with the newborn one 2) The aged old couple of hands, with the caption ‘Married 92 years’ (or some such) and 3) the newborn asleep with the hand flipping the bird.

And I just can’t compete with that.

I have two ideas, both of high difficulty, shopping requirements, and no guaranteed voter appeal. I have a third option which requires my entrance into a religious venue, and I’m pretty sure cameras aren’t too welcome there.

//made to fail. 🙁

Farktographer
    Participant

I must admit I’m considering skipping out on this contest. There’s gonna be 1) the aged old hand together with the newborn one 2) The aged old couple of hands, with the caption ‘Married 92 years’ (or some such) and 3) the newborn asleep with the hand flipping the bird.

I have two ideas, both of high difficulty, shopping requirements, and no guaranteed voter appeal. I have a third option which requires my entrance into a religious venue, and I’m pretty sure cameras aren’t too welcome there.

//made to fail. 🙁

D’oh – one of my pictures falls right into one of your three guesses. Well, it’s a toddler, not a newborn, but still. I’ve been able to get some interesting shots that fall outside these categories, and it’ll be one of the few times I have some quality bees. If there are a lot of the cliche shots, voters could get tired of it fast and be more likely to vote for something different that stands out…

When it comes to sneaking into a religious venue, you could just try asking the priest/imam/rabbi/cult leader/druid for permission – so long as you’re not sneaking into a scientology center, it’ll probably be fine.

Kestrana
    Participant

//made to fail. 🙁

Don’t worry about the voting. Challenge yourself to come up with something no one else will have or try something you’ve seen someone else do that you haven’t tried yet. Besides Fark voters are fickle and some weeks I’m sure I’m going to go down in flames I wound up with a top 10.

ravnostic
    Participant

Don’t worry about the voting. Challenge yourself to come up with something no one else will have or try something you’ve seen someone else do that you haven’t tried yet. Besides Fark voters are fickle and some weeks I’m sure I’m going to go down in flames I wound up with a top 10.

This weekend I do have Saturday and Sunday off, but there’s the gay pride festival (I go to the party of a resident friend who happens to live on the street it travels) Saturday, and ‘hiking’ (park type)/photography with my brother and his kids Sunday.

I dunno. I like my 2 ideas (I’m pretty sure no one else will have done either of them), if I can finger out how to put them together.

Ha! I made a pun!

olavf
    Participant

rav, I’ve got one, and an idea for a second that need two friends of mine, but they’re nothing like that. And, no idea what I’m doing for a third. So, there you go.

As far as religious venues go, it depends. I’ve trundled around the local Catholic cathedral with no problems, but I suspect the smaller parishes wouldn’t be so thrilled. Key things are to be quiet, respectful, and not bother anyone in there worshiping. Oh, and make sure there’s not a service or wedding going on when you want to go. If you need to photograph someone in a venue like that, recruit a sucker, er…friend to model for you.

lokisbong
    Participant

The last Catholic church I was in had no problems with me taking pictures as long as It wasn’t during a service and I didn’t use my flash. the second part was a bit of a bummer but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow so to speak. I know at least on of my pics for this is coming from a cemetery.

zincprincess
    Participant

Handprints and hands of statues are also in bounds. They don’t have the schmaltz of the ideas you mentioned, but this is fark where schmaltz is not held in high esteem.

ravnostic
    Participant

Handprints and hands of statues are also in bounds. They don’t have the schmaltz of the ideas you mentioned, but this is fark where schmaltz is not held in high esteem.

Back east, it’s easy to get statues. A little harder to get good ones here–esp. cemeteries; there just aren’t many grand resting places that aren’t shaped like a pyramid (no, really; I can think of two off the top of my head).

But I will try. Shall I feel I fail, I can always not post them. Off to google and see if what I want/need is readily available.

Oh, and a co-worker gave me an idea he thought of that would be very appropriate, also. So if my 2 work out, that’s three.

clouddancer
    Participant

For one, I plan on frankly ripping off an idea I’ve seen elsewhere, and its not the kiddo hands, baby hands, or old hands with newborn thing. And for that one I might commandeer my husband’s hand(s) for it so I can concentrate more on getting the shot I want.

A second entry, I’m relatively certain I’m going to put in a pic of Chance gripping his brother’s hand, but that might be the extent to which I use my kids this contest.

I’ve already used my dirty hands pic, so that’s out…..

mopsy
    Participant

Dratz! I had a great pair of gorilla hands, up close and friendly. Guess I’ll need to save them for another theme.

Curious
    Participant

re x-rays, do the usual rules apply? i have some neat x-rays of my hand with pins of broken finger but i didn’t take them.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yes if you use an x-ray you would have to be the person actually operating the x-ray machine

Curious
    Participant

thought so but phooey.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

So, Orionid came up with an awesome idea for this week involving xrays. U-Man couldn’t because of some crazy rules about not using valuable hospital equipment for things like Fark thread (geesh!). I, on the other hand am the radiology tech at my animal hospital, so my rules are rather more…flexible. (Hey, I get exposed to xrays dozens of times a week, what is one more time, right? And, I can read at night without a flashlight!) So my question is: is a digital xray a photograph? Can it be used in the theme? The technology is almost identical to a digital camera (to be honest if this were film I wouldn’t even ask, but I would also not do it because the film ain’t cheap, digital is 1 and 0’s) except that the light I am painting with xray radiation.

Thoughts?

Heh, I’m studying medical radiological technology, so I’m getting a kick …
    I’m glad these are allowed, maybe someday I can do some non-medical imaging. I’ve seen x-ray photos of flowers and such; I’ve been wondering if perhaps U-man was going to post some artistic X-ray photos, one day. I would be surprised if he hadn’t tried it at least once! Calibrating the ol Shimadzu, maybe?

Curious, it’s like any other camera–you must activate the shutter to be the photographer, but if you want to share here, that would be cool.

Curious
    Participant

Curious, it’s like any other camera–you must activate the shutter to be the photographer, but if you want to share here, that would be cool.

i’ll put that on the list. recently decided to start sharing more photos through flikr and FB. got a computer project that’s taking way too much time to finish first.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘04-20-11 – Can I Get a Show of Hands?’ is closed to new replies.