04-22-09 – Frankly My Deer, I Don’t Give a Dam

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-22-09 – Frankly My Deer, I Don’t Give a Dam

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

my best deer shot…

Uuuhhh. Typically dams are slower, less easily frightened and more predictably located. 😉

/if needed, dams can also be made.
    //hmmm. if i went to the sporting goods store i bet i could get right up close to a deer head….

Yea…I have a ton of dam shots, but I wanted honest to goodness in the wild living deerz! Dam it!

sleeping
    Participant

I decided that in all of upstate new york, which is ripe with rivers and lakes, there had to be a good photogenic dam within respectable driving distance.

I don’t know where you are in NY, but this one is pretty spectacular (not my photo): http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamtomlinson/71340351/

corsec67
    Participant

Elk are cervids like deer, so that would be ok with me, but I’ll let corsec make the final judgment call.

“The elk, or wapiti (Cervus canadensis), is one of the largest species of deer…”

From Elk, so an Elk is a deer, no judgment call needed.

orionid
    Participant

I don’t know where you are in NY, but this one is pretty spectacular (not my photo): http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamtomlinson/71340351/

Neato!

That one’s alot closer to the city, whereas I had a shorter drive by turning northwest and heading into the Adirondacks. Might have to pencil that in for my next trip to the city, however….

lokisbong
    Participant

Thank you all for the judgment about Elk being deer like enough. For some reason I have lots of pictures of elk but I can’t even remember the last deer I saw. Which is weird considering I live in a small town on the edge of The Redwood State and National Parks. I would have to find a stream and build my own damn dam. the nearest one built already is a 100 mile drive or more.

staplermofo
    Participant

I went looking for a dam three times, and all I got out of it was a stern talking to, two boring anecdotes and some rain on my camera. I even tried to build a tiny dam out of strips of staples to no avail.
    The only hope I’m left with is that it might sprout into a stapletree grove this summer.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

I don’t have a “damn deer” problem as much as I have a “damn twig” problem…

staplermofo
    Participant

Twigs, antlers; let’s not split hairs.

Do you know how to make venison jerky?

nobigdeal
    Participant

Need a judgment call.

Is a herring run on the side of a dam acceptable?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3465074171_d7c9d5d4e6_o.jpg

corsec67
    Participant

Need a judgment call.

Is a herring run on the side of a dam acceptable?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3465074171_d7c9d5d4e6_o.jpg

That looks like part of a dam to me.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Cool!

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Twigs, antlers; let’s not split hairs.

Do you know how to make venison jerky?

Yeah having a bunch of antlerless deer sucks, too. You’re not too likely to find any that do have antlers this time of year though.

Venison? We can do venison jerky, venison meatloaf, venison creole, vension gumbo. There’s pineapple venison, lemon venison, coconut venison, pepper venison, venison soup, venison stew, venison salad, venison and potatoes, venison burger, venison sandwich. That’s about it.

Also – Stat-Watch: Just checked the ol’ FSM and it shows 299,011 all-time Farktography votes. So we should be breaking 300k this week. That’s a whole lotta clickin’ and a whole lotta wiping of hands on pants.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Ok so I go at lunch to take a few last minute shots at an old mill dam down the road from work. I am standing on the edge of the stream with the camera on the tripod looking through the veiwfinder when I feel something on my foot.

I look down and see this:

A water moccasin is trying to use my feet as a warmer upper!

I slowly slide him off my foot and step back a few feet to snap a few pics of him.

The things I do for Farktography!

pangolyn
    Participant

Snakey likes you! Neat pic.

justkat
    Participant

i’m excited about this contest. i hope that the voters like my pictures anywhere near as much as i do.

A water moccasin is trying to use my feet as a warmer upper!

eep! i guess that’s what you get for standing too still lol.

The things I do for Farktography!

you have seen some of the pictures my husband has submitted, haven’t you? 😛

/although that’s more ‘the things i do for love’ i guess

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
  • The topic ‘04-22-09 – Frankly My Deer, I Don’t Give a Dam’ is closed to new replies.