04-22-09 – Frankly My Deer, I Don’t Give a Dam

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-22-09 – Frankly My Deer, I Don’t Give a Dam

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

Are dams that are underwater okay?
    You know, like river dams?

You can still clearly see that there is a dam, just not the dam itself.

corsec67
    Participant

Are dams that are underwater okay?
    You know, like river dams?

You can still clearly see that there is a dam, just not the dam itself.

Sure, why not. Just as long as it is clear that there is a dam there.

Curious
    Participant

ok clarify these:

1) how about small natural dams that don’t really stop flow but divert it?

2) locks. as in the things used to raise/lower boats along a river or canal?

U-Man
    Participant

ok clarify these:

1) how about small natural dams that don’t really stop flow but divert it?

2) locks. as in the things used to raise/lower boats along a river or canal?

I plan on using at least one shot of Mississippi River Lock and Dam #4. You kinda need a dam to make the lock work, right?

http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/navigation/default.asp?pageid=145&subpageid=163

linguine
    Participant

I’d think natural dams and locks should be fine.

nobigdeal
    Participant

This theme should be called Damn Deer!!!

I have a lot of nice shots of blurry white tails running away from, me!

Looks like it is gonna be all dams this week.

olavf
    Participant

Were it my call to make, I’d think that locks that are part of a dam would be fine – but one that was just sitting out on it’s lonesome in a canal would be iffy.

NoBigDeal, I hear ya. I think I got one decent deer shot that wasn’t along the lines of ‘deer waaaaaay over there in the field, mocking me’. Or just picking the absolute worst lighting conditions to hang out in – lovely dappled shade or just badly backlit :/

corsec67
    Participant

This theme should be called Damn Deer!!!

I have a lot of nice shots of blurry white tails running away from, me!

Looks like it is gonna be all dams this week.

I was getting so good at deer pictures before I left my home in Colorado that I was actually getting bored.

When I took this, which is uncropped and not even zoomed all the way in on my 70-300, I knew the deer were getting too used to me.

orionid
    Participant

All the deer around my place know that their safe at the government site where I work and walk openly around. Haven’t seen one yet off site.

Quick – To the archives!

orionid
    Participant

So there I was, scratching my backside for ideas to get creative with, when I decided that in all of upstate new york, which is ripe with rivers and lakes, there had to be a good photogenic dam within respectable driving distance. So, I went out dam hunting at 4:30 this morning hoping to catch a sunrise (HA! Rain!). But to my pleasant surprise, I also spooked some deer with my truck while following an access path looking for an alternate angle on a dam. And I discovered a whole new problem, that until this contest, I had never considered…..

Does anyone else realize just how difficult it is to get out of a truck while swapping the 24mm prime with a zoom lens all while not making a sound? It’s fricking tough. Then I realized that ISO 200 with a lens that only goes as far as f/5.6 at 300mm is not very conducive to running deer at 7:00 in the morning. But I had alot of fun, so it was definately worth it. (and I discovered a cool little small town that I’ll have to revisit on a summer day with sun and leaves on the trees).

lokisbong
    Participant

Is an elk close enough to a deer? I have 12 and a half gigs of pictures on my hard drive and of all those pictures I have one blurrry pic of a pair of deer that were in a yard next to th the place I was working that day.tons of elk pictures though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elk are cervids like deer, so that would be ok with me, but I’ll let corsec make the final judgment call.

orionid
    Participant

Aren’t elk a subspecies of reindeer, anyway? Or is it the other way around?

nobigdeal
    Participant

my best deer shot…

Damn Deer!

U-Man
    Participant

my best deer shot…

Uuuhhh. Typically dams are slower, less easily frightened and more predictably located. 😉

/if needed, dams can also be made.
    //hmmm. if i went to the sporting goods store i bet i could get right up close to a deer head….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 101 total)
  • The topic ‘04-22-09 – Frankly My Deer, I Don’t Give a Dam’ is closed to new replies.