04-28-10 – Plants

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-28-10 – Plants

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

Actually, now I have another question – what about seed pods and the like? They’re part of a plant, but separated from the part that is, or was alive?

LeicaLens
    Participant

Photograph plants, things that grow and don’t have a brain.

Things that don’t have a brain? You mean Democrats?

/with apologies to Bob Hope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6YdNmK77k

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think seed pods (and dead plants for that matter) are fine..they’re plant parts and part of the plant life cycle.

As for living things being in the photo, I guess that depends on how central they are to the photo. The theme description doesn’t preclude other living things specifically, but I don’t think a kid smelling a rose or a macro of a bug chowing down on leaves (or mating on said leaves, for that matter) really is about the plant at that point, and that doesn’t really seem to be what the theme is going for. If the bug, animal, or human is truly incidental to the point where the composition does not depend on them, I’d think that was fair game.

ravnostic
    Participant

hm. I hadn’t consider that personally. There’s one or two I’d like to consider, but hadn’t because of the insects or whatever that are in it – even if they are ancillary.

Actually, I flet like a little bug amidst the flora would be cool. It doesn’t happen that I’ll use one, but only because I figured everyone and their mother would be posting them. I strived for unique this time. (Okay, except for that one shot…)

LeicaLens
    Participant

I think seed pods (and dead plants for that matter) are fine..they’re plant parts and part of the plant life cycle.

As for living things being in the photo, I guess that depends on how central they are to the photo. The theme description doesn’t preclude other living things specifically, but I don’t think a kid smelling a rose or a macro of a bug chowing down on leaves (or mating on said leaves, for that matter) really is about the plant at that point, and that doesn’t really seem to be what the theme is going for. If the bug, animal, or human is truly incidental to the point where the composition does not depend on them, I’d think that was fair game.

I think that answers the question I was about to ask: are fallen leaves OK?
    Or should I save those for an autumn competition?
    😉

LeicaLens
    Participant

hm. I hadn’t consider that personally. There’s one or two I’d like to consider, but hadn’t because of the insects or whatever that are in it – even if they are ancillary.

Actually, I flet like a little bug amidst the flora would be cool. It doesn’t happen that I’ll use one, but only because I figured everyone and their mother would be posting them. I strived for unique this time. (Okay, except for that one shot…)

I’m not a mod or anything (not even a punk…), so my opinion won’t count for much, but I don’t think that spider in the photo you posted in the gallery forum would disqualify your picture for this week’s competition.

Let me put it another way: after you mentioned it, I spent FIVE minutes trying to find the damn thing 😕 [/b]

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m not a mod or anything (not even a punk…), so my opinion won’t count for much, but I don’t think that spider in the photo you posted in the gallery forum would disqualify your picture for this week’s competition.

Let me put it another way: after you mentioned it, I spent FIVE minutes trying to find the damn thing 😕

LOL, but I DID mention the color yellow!!

And if that’s the case, PLEASE look carefully at my third entry this week. Camouflage is an art form.

olavf
    Participant

Hmmm, okay that gives me some food for thought, and my choices more difficult =P

This one’s a bit close to that line – the pic would be cool without the bee, but it’s definitely better with it in the shot.
    http://65.78.140.207/TF/farktography/100428.plants/silk_tree-0517_sm_web.JPG

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m really torn on those kinds of photos, olavf. On the one hand, the bee isn’t even taking up much real estate in the image, and I think the argument could be made that it’s at least somewhat incidental. On the other hand, yes, it certainly adds something to the composition. Ultimately, the theme description doesn’t specifically say you can’t include other living things, and I would bet we’ll have plenty of casual Farktographers submitting stuff with bugs and people and what all. It’ll be a difficult line to toe in terms of disqualifying anything if it includes a plant somewhere in the image since that’s all the theme description says, but I’m inclined to suggest that images where the plants are incidental to animals of any form really don’t fit the bill. Does that make more sense?

ravnostic
    Participant

Which makes me wonder, Elsinore, if I should include one of my three entries. The focus is plants (specifically flowers–*yawn*), but I’ve added camouflaged reptilian goodness, with hopes that an astute observer will notice. A little humor, so to speak, but not at all predominant in the composition; in fact, intentionally NOT predominant. (And technically, I didn’t add it–it was already there; I just made sure I carefully got it in the shot in the background.)

As for Olavf’s pic, it would seem to me that part of planthood is reproduction, and for a great many plants, that means insects. And you certainly must be correct about the casual farkers’ posts–I wouldn’t be surprised if someone shows up smoking weed because pot is a plant. My vote is so long as plants are the main gist, they should qualify. Where’s the theme suggester? I would think Clouddancer should get the final say-so, if available.

olavf
    Participant

I’m really torn on those kinds of photos, olavf…Does that make more sense?

I hear ya Elsinore…I think 😉

For better or worse, my take has been ‘what is the theme of the picture?’ rather than ‘does it contain element X?’, which can be somewhat subjective.

In any case, I’ve decided not to use the shot anyhow, partially because I agree – it’s too much “on the fence”, and partly because I know of another contest I can use it for where it’ll fit better
    /plus I’ll have a chance to get rid of those two festering dust spots…

U-Man
    Participant

I’ve been glancing at this thread while working. I’m busy but want to throw in my 2 cents.

First, I decided to not use the pic I was considering. It was waaay closer to the line than Olavf’s. However, I disagree that O’s pic is beyond the line. Part of being a plant is having bugs and whatnot around. Consider these pics as plant portraits. Would you disqualify a human portrait if it had plants (or a car or camera or a pet) in it? No, other element can have meaning to the subject.

I hope I didn’t offend. I don’t really have time to do this buit I wanted to chime in.

See y’all tonight.

monsieurstabby
    Participant

I’m guessing this is over the line?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Understand, I wasn’t even saying olavf‘s was over the line. Just that there was an argument to be made in a theme that’s supposed to be focusing on plants that having other living things in the photo could take away from the photo being about a plant.

Ultimately, there’s no hard line on this theme saying you can’t include other living things, just my take that the theme is supposed to be about plants and not about other things. Really it’s (for the most part) going to be up to the voters. monsierstabby: I think yours is toeing the line but fair game for that reason.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh, goody then! I’ll post the pic. It’s probably not going to win (mine never do), but those who catch it will have a laugh.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘04-28-10 – Plants’ is closed to new replies.