04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

That opens the possibility of stacking the exposures, although a tracking mount would make the picture better.

I think my entries from this contest will be taken in Japan, although that shouldn’t change the possible entries that much…

Good thinking. On both of those. IIRC, the peak of the lyrids this year will be 1AM local time over mongolia, so you should be able to catch it on the rise just before peak.

RcMacStudent
    Participant

Also:

If anyone is still looking for inspiration for this theme, the Lyrid meteor shower is just under a week beforehand. Historically, it’s not incredibly stellar (pun inetended), but it is fairly consistent, and coincides with a new moon this year. It averages about 20 meteors an hour ranging from specs of dust (what you usually see) and occasional pea-sized fragments (“Huge” fireballs). Break down the math, and with 30 second exposures on wide angle, you’ll catch a streak every 12th shot give or take. I know there are some farktographers who don’t mind freezing their ass off all night taking photos of the sky. I’ve got other plans for this contest, but I might take some shots for fun anyway.

/Hint: Figure out optimum ISO and aperture settings to go with your 30/45/whatever second exposure, frame your shot, set camera to continuous fire, tape down button, go back inside where it’s warm.

Question: If you rapid fire while set at a 30 second exposure and then stack your images, won’t your fire trail get averaged out amongst all the other pictures? Or am I not understanding what you said?

orionid
    Participant

Yes and no. There’s also additive stacking, which I forgot to mention. That’s used for situations like this where you would want to do very long exposures while minimizing sensor noise. This would be more useful for things like several-hour star trails, rather than, say, detail resolution through very long optics as in average stacking. Your overall clarity will be lower on an additive stack, vice an averaging stack, but can be used to bring out more.

U-Man
    Participant

I have no ideas for this one. I think it is a lack of interest due to my ignorance about what cool stuff is possible. I mean, other than pointing my camera at Polaris for 20 minutes, I got nuthin’. I’ll have to do some googling.

/my input – have a definite “No sunsets” rule. Perhaps the description should be changed now.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Since orionid said ixnay on the unsetsay, I’m putting that in the difficulty.

zeke
    Participant

Since orionid said ixnay on the unsetsay, I’m putting that in the difficulty.

Add sunrises to that too. You KNOW someone will.

staplermofo
    Participant

Just to be clear, we can shoot a telescope?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Good point, Zeke. And yes, ‘mofo. Observatory equipment is fine. It’s one of the shots I was thinking of, actually.

U-Man
    Participant

Add sunrises to that too. You KNOW someone will.

Yep. I thought of that on the way to work today.

staplermofo
    Participant

Oh yeah, I don’t know if a tenuously related Hello! Project video is requisite or annoying or both or what, but you know, there ya go.

U-Man
    Participant

‘Mofo, that exact video is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this theme.

/not at all.
    //constantly amazed at the depth and breadth of ‘mofo’s odd humor.
    ///can you tell that I don’t want to work yet? (gulps coffee)

staplermofo
    Participant

I hope to, someday, become a 3 joke pony.

lokisbong
    Participant

Oh yeah, I don’t know if a tenuously related Hello! Project video is requisite or annoying or both or what, but you know, there ya go.

That was rather hypnotic. Thank you. I think.

orionid
    Participant

I think those girls were older than most of ‘mofo‘s other video posts…. But japanese riverdancing? really?

U-Man
    Participant

But japanese riverdancing? really?

That’s liveldancing, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘04-29-09 – Farkstronomy’ is closed to new replies.