04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I just realized a critical omission. Is it too late to add “other celestial objects” to the allowable side?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nah, I think that’s clear enough in the spirit of the original wording that adding it for clarity at this point is just fine. I’ll fixx0r it right up.

simdan42
    Participant

Am i correct to assume shots of satellites (the man made variety) are ok? What about the Space shuttle? or Space vehicles/equipment in museums and such?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t think museum based space vehicles would be in keeping with the spirit, and I’m iffy on the space shuttle, but can see an argument for shots of satellites and the space station. orionid can make those judgment calls, though.

orionid
    Participant

Am i correct to assume shots of satellites (the man made variety) are ok? What about the Space shuttle? or Space vehicles/equipment in museums and such?

Let me grab my marker to make a nice zig-zag line:

Original spirit: Sattellite/space shuttle/space station – In orbit, absolutely(they’d be celestial objects). At a museam, only if it directly relates to observation. So a mock-up of the cassini probe or hubble would be absolutely okay, whereas the apollo 11 re-entry vehicle would not be.

Yeah, splitting hairs, I know. I wanted people to be able to flex their creative muscles, dust off their old childhood star-guide books (I know everybody has at least one in an attick or basement), and look to the skies. There’s alot of beauty that can be found up there. Observatory equipment was basically an out for people stuck inside their bustling metropolis’s that don’t/can’t make a trip out to the country, but it would at least force them to seek out museams or optical shops dealing in such (and maybe spark an interest to drive out to the country at some later point).

And thanks, Elsinore.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

My story:

On the morning of the 19th I order a remote and prepare to start shooting some star trail goodness. My order finally shows up at my house yesterday, the 27th. I’m disappointed. On top of that it was supposed to rain all night tonight so I only had one night to try to work this out. It’s a little cloudy but I can make out a few stars with the naked eye so I give it a go. About 15 minutes into my first attempt it just starts to pour and never let up. Now tonight is absolutely cloudy, nothing to see at all. So I’m bummed. But here is what I got:

about 15 mins, f/3.5, iso 100, @18mm

Next time I’m going to go for a longer exposure and focal length for longer trails. I’m not sure about the aperture. I only went that wide because of the cloudiness. Practice, practice I guess. I will probably crop the trees and use this anyhow, because I have literally nothing else.

orionid
    Participant

bucky_bacon, I feel your pain.

Question for concensus:

If I have to resort to the archives for my third shot, and I have two very similar compositions, one of which has been used, would the other be kosher?

I ask, because the only variable changed between them was 45 seconds exposure vice 30 seconds. Same location, angle, etc. Dropped to 640×426, they are very nearly identical, so if that would be too close for using the same shot twice, no worries, I’ve got a day to get creative.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If they’re truly different exposures/frames, then it’s fair game. You might put in your post that it’s from a series in which you used a similar shot for a previous contest, just in case someone recognizes it.

Oh and Bucky Bacon, that looks good!

My story is that I tried to do long exposure star trails on film with my late father’s Canon AE-1P. Then over the course of the next couple days I finished up the roll and discovered I’d f’d up the film loading, so the whole thing was blank 🙄

olavf
    Participant

D’oh!

I feel your collective pain. I fear mine will probably be b-sides this week due to time/weather/personal crap 😛 We don’t even have a friggin’ observatory in this town :/

soosh
    Participant

I’m not sure about the aperture

The wider the aperture, the more stars you will get. However, if the sky isn’t all that dark, relatively, you may be surprised at the color of the sky with a wider aperture.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Thanks Elsinore, and sorry about your story. I’m frightened to ever try going back to film.

And thanks soosh. I’m looking forward to experimenting with it some more.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol nah, don’t be frightened. Just be sure you load it properly and that the film winding/rewinding knob is actually turning when you wind the film 😉

sleeping
    Participant

Or get a camera with automatic loading! F100s are cheap…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm automagic loading. Now there’s a concept…

Come to think of it, my Elan II has that. The AE-1P just has sentimental value.

mopsy
    Participant

I’m in the same boat as many of you are. When I finally figured out what to do, the clouds moved in and have not gone away. I did get a pic of the Big Dipper, by luck not skill, and have enlarged it many times. Did some mega enlarging of the stars on the Big Dipper handle. They are colorful. The only things I did was enlarge, crop and sharpen. So should be okay. Maybe not what Orionid set out to have us do, but I only have the Big Dipper and a couple of stars around it to work with due to ignorance and weather.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘04-29-09 – Farkstronomy’ is closed to new replies.