04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I’m in the same boat as many of you are. When I finally figured out what to do, the clouds moved in and have not gone away. I did get a pic of the Big Dipper, by luck not skill, and have enlarged it many times. Did some mega enlarging of the stars on the Big Dipper handle. They are colorful. The only things I did was enlarge, crop and sharpen. So should be okay. Maybe not what Orionid set out to have us do, but I only have the Big Dipper and a couple of stars around it to work with due to ignorance and weather.

heh. Orionid didn’t even get to do what Orionid set us out to do. Well, except for one of my photos. I just got off the phone with Meade, and my telescope tracking mount won’t be fixed and returned until june. Frownie face.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

heh. Orionid didn’t even get to do what Orionid set us out to do.

I saw an sweet observatory shot in your flickr a little while back and thought for sure it would end up here tonight. While I’m sure that you had bigger ambitions, I was still a little sad. LOVE the “king of twilight” shot though. Great stuff!

orionid
    Participant

I him-hauled back and forth between the milky way shot and This one, and decided on the milky way. Hopefully to save the other for a sunrise/sunset theme 😉

Oh, and thanks!

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    mopsy
    Participant

Orionid, no wonder you wanted to do this contest. You should be working for National Geographic or some star gallery! Beautiful! Just Beautiful!

orionid
    Participant

Orionid, no wonder you wanted to do this contest. You should be working for National Geographic or some star gallery! Beautiful! Just Beautiful!

Hahaha, thanks!

I actually wanted to do this contest as an excuse to get a decent telescope and jump headfirst into astrophotography. I’ve always been interested in astronomy, and living in Hawaii (with two trips to the big island) started re-kindling that fire. When I was a kid, my wall was covered in solar-system and deep-sky posters. (It still kind-of is, at my parents place – four houses and two states later: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/3446693476/

Unfortunately, the first night I took the scope out, the tracking drive gears started grinding and skipping. If all had gone to plan, you’d have seen photos of the great orion nebula, the andromeda galaxy, and a galactic cluster…. but… Oh, well. I’ll just have to hope any “gaseous” or “incandescent” themes hold off until after I get my new and/or repaired tracking drive back from Meade.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Unfortunately, the first night I took the scope out, the tracking drive gears started grinding and skipping. If all had gone to plan, you’d have seen photos of the great orion nebula, the andromeda galaxy, and a galactic cluster…. but… Oh, well. I’ll just have to hope any “gaseous” or “incandescent” themes hold off until after I get my new and/or repaired tracking drive back from Meade.

Too bad I bet they would have been sweet. Not that the ones you posted werent great.

Isn’t it typical that when the theme you wanted comes up your equipment dies.

I knew soosh wouldn’t disappoint too.

U-Man
    Participant

I almost skipped this one because I don’t really like what I have for this theme. The ones I do like really use the astral stuff for the setting, rather than the subject. I tossed one in just for the hell of it.

Some of you guys have good stuff this week. *cough* orionid *cough* .

I’ll have to try some stacking. I like how that looks.

orionid
    Participant

I almost skipped this one because I don’t really like what I have for this theme. The ones I do like really use the astral stuff for the setting, rather than the subject. I tossed one in just for the hell of it.

I’ll have to try some stacking. I like how that looks.

That’s too bad. I do enjoy viewing your work. (until it shows up higher on the voting results, of course).

And thanks for the subtle kudos.

orionid
    Participant

Yes!

The late-comers, one-timers, and boobies are bringing what I was hoping to see!

Good work, and I hope to see more in the future!

U-Man
    Participant

Jeebus Christ. How did I forget the kudos to soosh last night. Wonderous stuff. I agree with Mopsy, you seem to have imported stars for your pics.

/wierd. 1-2-3 a couple weeks ago for the first time. Possible/probable 1-2-3 this week.

mopsy
    Participant

Elsinore, could you check why my funky star is not allowing votes. I know it shoud have at least one, because I voted for it. I knew going into the contest that it would not do well, but wonder why it’s not showing at least the one vote I gave it. 2009-04-29 08:08:08 PM And then a question to the rest of you technical farkers, what happens when you enlarge a star and all the colors come through. Is that the star or is it the camera or something else? I intend to study this night photography so the next time around I will “WOW” all of you! Great stuff out there!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

mopsy: That was really strange. That entry dropped off the face of Fark, and I hadn’t seen it until I went looking for it. Not sure why only the one entry was affected, but I have it fixed and you shouldn’t have that problem again. If you (or anyone) notices an entry you voted for but the vote isn’t registering, please let me or Farkback know so we can look into it.

As for your question, you mentioned magnification on the Big Dipper picture. Did you shoot that through a slightly defocused telescope or was your lens slightly defocused? IIRC (orionid correct me if I’m wrong), it’s only very recently that they’ve been able to visualize another star other than our sun, and they can’t do that with ground based amateur telescopes. Due to distance and resolving power, stars generally are just point sources of light, even through a telescope. I would guess that the color in the magnified version would be some combination of the star’s color, the underlying process of digital image capture, atmospheric conditions, and possibly some chromatic aberration from the optics. Your Big Dipper stars looked to me like the lens or telescope was slightly defocused to create the bigger/round stars effect (which is cool, btw), but either way, you aren’t seeing star surface there.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yes!

The late-comers, one-timers, and boobies are bringing what I was hoping to see!

Good work, and I hope to see more in the future!

QFT!!!!!!!

I mean, WOW! I was really hoping to see shots like that for this contest. I knew there was no way I could pull something like that off–I’m not familiar enough yet with Dad’s scope and don’t have an ideal set up for imaging–but I was hoping the theme would bring out the astrophotographers. Sometimes even late entries are recognized for their quality and end up finishing up well on standings list; I hope that happens for Canook119 and ArmchairDissadent.

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks, Elsinore, for both fixing the voting “thing” and the explanation of the colors. Was I a little out of focus? Probably a lot out of focus as I really did not know what the h*ll I was doing. But that will change next time. I just need some more practice and the night skies cooperation.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘04-29-09 – Farkstronomy’ is closed to new replies.