04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

n/p And I figured it was an intentional thing to make the stars circular. It was a neat effect.

orionid
    Participant

As for your question, you mentioned magnification on the Big Dipper picture. Did you shoot that through a slightly defocused telescope or was your lens slightly defocused? IIRC (orionid correct me if I’m wrong), it’s only very recently that they’ve been able to visualize another star other than our sun, and they can’t do that with ground based amateur telescopes. Due to distance and resolving power, stars generally are just point sources of light, even through a telescope. I would guess that the color in the magnified version would be some combination of the star’s color, the underlying process of digital image capture, atmospheric conditions, and possibly some chromatic aberration from the optics. Your Big Dipper stars looked to me like the lens or telescope was slightly defocused to create the bigger/round stars effect (which is cool, btw), but either way, you aren’t seeing star surface there.

You pretty much hit it right on there. Stars are always point sources, even the closest ones. Unless you’ve hired hubble time, or one of the other serious deep-sky scopes like the ones at Mauna Kea or Goldstone. Mopsy, the effect you’re seeing is from being slightly out of focus, although, that is a technique often used by amateur astronomers to determine the spectral qualities of a star. Brighter magnitudes make bigger circles, and the color is alot easier to see in its blurry, bulbous form.

mopsy
    Participant

I was really surprised when I kept enlarging the stars and creating the beautiful colors. The couple I did from the handle of the Big Dipper were blue tones. Then I did the same thing to a star not of the Big Dipper and it was in browns and greens. I can see how people get sucked into exploring what’s out there. Thank you Elsinore and Orionid for following up on my questions.

orionid
    Participant

Hey, Elsinore, When I went to vote, I noticed that Dallymo‘s saturn shot had dropped off. No clue what the timestamp was, but it’s not there anymore.

And no problem, Mopsy!

kashari
    Participant

Incredible photos this week, thanks all! I recently bought a D60 and have a lot to learn. But you all have some great tips and hopefully I’ll start understanding more of them. 🙂

Doing these different themes have been helpful exercises and fun!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

orionid: Got that one, thanks for the heads up on it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to soosh this week!

corsec67
    Participant

as am I.

Is it too early to just hand you the trophy?

(I said that on 4/20)

These results don’t surprise me.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘04-29-09 – Farkstronomy’ is closed to new replies.