04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-29-09 – Farkstronomy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

But japanese riverdancing? really?

That’s liveldancing, right?

Ooooo Thats lacist!!!

justkat
    Participant

i know we just had lunacy, but is there anything about this contest that rules out moon shots? now that i have a DSLR i can take pix of the actual moon (as opposed to my toy moon entries in lunacy lol) and it’s in the daytime sky just just now to make things a little easier for me … and also different from many other submissions, most likely.

linguine
    Participant

i know we just had lunacy, but is there anything about this contest that rules out moon shots? now that i have a DSLR i can take pix of the actual moon (as opposed to my toy moon entries in lunacy lol) and it’s in the daytime sky just just now to make things a little easier for me … and also different from many other submissions, most likely.

The moon should be fair game again.

corsec67
    Participant

Would something like this work for the theme?

If not, then due to the haze and light pollution you can see there, I am either going to have to dig in my archives, or try to get a picture of the moon.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That looks more like a sunset to me than a photograph of the sun itself.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

I would go further than that and agree with Orionid‘s original idea that the sun itself needs to be the central subject, not the beautifully lit-up foreground objects.

Would overexposing the moon to get the same effect would also be frowned upon? Something like this:

I’m really struggling here. Had a field trip planned to a moon-related museum, but looks like it isn’t going to happen now. I suppose this is a good excuse to finally buy a remote though.

orionid
    Participant

I would go further than that and agree with Orionid‘s original idea that the sun itself needs to be the central subject, not the beautifully lit-up foreground objects.

Would overexposing the moon to get the same effect would also be frowned upon? Something like this:

[img]I’m really struggling here. Had a field trip planned to a moon-related museum, but looks like it isn’t going to happen now. I suppose this is a good excuse to finally buy a remote though.

Overexposure, by itself as a photographic technique would be fine (for example if you wanted to do a moon trail instead of star trails), but the composition of this specific photo draws too much to the moon’s effect on the clouds and puts it nearly the same as a sunset, IMHO. That being said, the general public, reading the theme description and not the pages of comments and discussions will probably sumbit a number of photos like this, so for ease of policing the thread by the modmins, I’d be inclined to allow it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

We can always tweak the wording a bit to make it even more clear that that kind of shot isn’t allowed. Something along the lines of Miller’s mention of the celestial object being the subject, not foreground stuff.

orionid
    Participant

We can always tweak the wording a bit to make it even more clear that that kind of shot isn’t allowed. Something along the lines of Miller’s mention of the celestial object being the subject, not foreground stuff.

I’m good with that.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I really don’t mean to seem ignorant. I understand the intention of the contest and figured that both of my examples were no good, but just reading the description we definitely could have had a situation like there was with “Bang.” Thankfully this is all getting cleaned up ahead of time and we will have a stellar contest.

/pun not intended, but I’m glad that it happened

U-Man
    Participant
    orionid
    Participant

You were talking about number 5, right?

olavf
    Participant

Number 5 would be Sunday, or so, after the votes are all tallied…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok I added cloudy sun/moon shots to the difficulty. Hopefully that will help keep things clear.

orionid
    Participant

Looks good, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • The topic ‘04-29-09 – Farkstronomy’ is closed to new replies.