05-04-11 – Cloudscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-04-11 – Cloudscapes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Put simply, pictures of clouds. While terrestrial objects (the ground, trees, other miscellany) are allowed, the majority of the image should be occupied by clouds.

Thanks to Plamadude30k for the theme suggestion!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Yay, my first theme! I was expecting fifteen minutes to be first, but whatever-the theme scheduling procedure is as mysterious as it is puzzling, and I’m fine with that.

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m excited for this one. I have a lot more in the archives than I initially thought.

ravnostic
    Participant

I was out Tuesday morning and sat there clicking the shutter, muttering to myself “Yeah, I got this one in the bag.”

Probably wrong, of course, but they did turn out really well, IMO.

orionid
    Participant

Meanwhile, I’m looking at 2.5 mediocre archive shots wondering if I have a cloudscape apprentice magic card somewhere, and if there’s a way to make that fly….

mopsy
    Participant

This is interesting. I was actually looking at clouds trying to find letters for the Alphabet theme. Hope I have more luck with your cloud theme.

chupathingie
    Participant

I already feel guilty about hanging around here engaging in little participation, but if themes like this keep showing up I’m going to have to make an effort… I’m going to have to start sometime I guess and I’ve seen 3 themes today that have me wanting to get involved. This forum is a hard course for someone who knows jack-all about photography.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Chupa, you’re not alone. I can only speak for myself, but I just started talking photography seriously about a year ago at most. This forum is the best place I’ve found to learn about photography, and I’ve still got quite a ways to go.

chupathingie
    Participant

I learned all the techie stuff from diving into astrophotography (for which I give a resounding “meh” to myself). What I see here is a great deal of application, composition, and a willingness to engage in odd/different themes. I wonder sometimes why we don’t see more press from the farktography contests… there really is a lot of impressive work coming from the regulars here. I see less talent shown in a higher profile in so many other places.

If I ever get to toss a few back with some of the folks here, I’ll feel privileged. I might just die happy if I ever win a contest! 😆 For now, just call me “groupie”.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I already feel guilty about hanging around here engaging in little participation, but if themes like this keep showing up I’m going to have to make an effort… I’m going to have to start sometime I guess and I’ve seen 3 themes today that have me wanting to get involved. This forum is a hard course for someone who knows jack-all about photography.

The great thing about this forum is that if you ever have a photography question you will get dozens of relatively snark free answers. Speaking for myself, this forum and farktography itself is what brought me back into photography.

orionid
    Participant

The great thing about this forum is that if you ever have a photography question you will get dozens of relatively snark free answers. Speaking for myself, this forum and farktography itself is what brought me back into photography.

Agreed. Word. for. word.

lokisbong
    Participant

Agreed. Word. for. word.

Me too. 100%!

mopsy
    Participant

Trust me chupathingie, you just have to jump in. I’ve been an active member since June 2008 and still consider myself a beginner. While it is wonderful to be in the top 10 and thrilling to be number 1, it truly is about learning camera techniques. I would never have come this far without the Farktographer’s help, encouragement and best of all fun. So go for it. 🙂

Farktographer
    Participant

Ditto to all these sentiments. I’m still 100% a beginner – just got my first DSLR camera this year during Christmas (as opposed to the point-and-shoot that had been literally falling apart on me for the better part of two years). Farktography has helped me see photographs in a whole new way. My friends make fun of me because I constantly look at things and say, “hey, that could make for a GREAT picture!” These assorted themes make sure I’m always thinking outside of the box – I probably never would have started playing with long exposures or astrophotography if not for this group.

Plus, we have wonderful photographers here, and I like picking at their brain (and pictures) to see what’s going through their head 😮

clouddancer
    Participant

Question: Things like paper mills around here make clouds. There’s this nifty plant nearby that looks awesome (I think) at night with the lights from the plant illuminating the cloud its making. Do those kinds of clouds count? They’re unintentionally man made, so I feel it proper to ask. It’s not smoke coming out, it’s steam.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)
  • The topic ‘05-04-11 – Cloudscapes’ is closed to new replies.