05-04-11 – Cloudscapes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-04-11 – Cloudscapes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

Question: Things like paper mills around here make clouds. There’s this nifty plant nearby that looks awesome (I think) at night with the lights from the plant illuminating the cloud its making. Do those kinds of clouds count? They’re unintentionally man made, so I feel it proper to ask. It’s not smoke coming out, it’s steam.

I see your point about them being man made clouds since they are just steam. I think Plamadude30k is gonna have to weigh in on this one. I would probably say yes if it was my theme having seen a few plumes from paper mills in my time.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Well, my first reaction was to allow it, but the more I thought about it, the less it seems like a cloud-the spirit of the theme was intended to be for actual clouds. HOWEVER! I have slept on it, and after a good night’s rest, I’m feeling more charitable. As long as the focus is on the sky and cloud-like phenomena in it, then I think it’ll work. Cloudscape photography is supposed to be just like landscape photography, only in the sky. There’s no rule in landscape photography that says we can’t photograph man-made things.

SilverStag
    Participant

Since I love to stir the pot, how about cloud panoramae? Like so:

270 degrees of spring dawn by pjern, on Flickr

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Hmm, I’d like to hear from the community at large about their thoughts on allowing panoramas. I know Orionid was against allowing them in ‘Fifteen Minutes’ because it has been used more frequently in recent contests, and I think panos would lend themselves much better to that contest to this, so I’m inclined to say no on those grounds. What do people think?

Kestrana
    Participant

Well I’m of 2 minds on that. 1. landscape photography is better suited to panoramas I think than anything else and you just said this was landscape photography in the sky but 2. allowing panoramas opens the door on allowing stitching and hdr and other things. Cropped panoramas (i.e. normal photos cropped to look like a panorama) would be fine with me though.

orionid
    Participant

I’m in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

I just noticed your new tagline and location. +1

/Also, FWIW, I just realized that your handle could be translated as “Harry Potter’s Patronus.”

//Also, -1 on the stitched panos for this one.

ravnostic
    Participant

-1 on stitched.

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

I just noticed your new tagline and location. +1

/Also, FWIW, I just realized that your handle could be translated as “Harry Potter’s Patronus.”

Except that my handle predates HP by a wide margin 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Technicalities.

olavf
    Participant

I’m inclined to vote -1 on panos too.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah I don’t think we need panos for this one.

lokisbong
    Participant

agreed on the – 1 for panos.

kashari
    Participant

So would jet-trails that have been moved around in the atmosphere, where they look like wispy clouds, work?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Yes, contrails work.

kashari
    Participant

Yes, contrails work.

Ok, great, thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 150 total)
  • The topic ‘05-04-11 – Cloudscapes’ is closed to new replies.