05-19-10 – Skylines

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-19-10 – Skylines

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

1 spell of +5 Resurrection cast.

swampa
    Participant

Thanks and now it looks like 2010-05-19 08:02:33 PM has disappeared 🙁

ravnostic
    Participant

Well what a surprise. Mofo’s staples have taken an early lead. Gee…never saw that coming. *coughcoughbullsh!tcough*.

I believe I mentioned it would be the winner? I stand by that. I only wish I had such creative bones in my body.

staplermofo
    Participant

I shamelessly stole the idea from Peter Root.

My innovations were 1. using a puddle of superglue to hold the staples in place and 2. not trying to make any meaningful statement about the ephemerality of the interwoven strings of moments comprising and compromising our lives.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

swampa: Your initial lost photo also apparently made it’s save vs spell against my spell of +5 Resurrection. I’ve cast it again on both.

swampa
    Participant

Thanks for that 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

Staplermofo: you lost me after ‘superglue in place’.

Elsinore and swampa–oh, for petes sake, and you haven’t +1’d my ‘These foolish games’ theme suggestion yet? Do I h&ve to Draw you a picture? 😯

ravnostic
    Participant

I have to disqualify my lightning shot with the Pleides picture; I was poking around this site (wow, there’s all sorts of cool stat’s available; U-man; you should be ashamed of yourself for hogging all the glory!) and I found that I used a cropped image of the same shot in ‘Let there be light’. Not fair. Disenvotentate it.

Such is life. Poop.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh damn..thanks for letting us know. And don’t feel too bad…I’ve had to DQ my own entry after I realized I’d used the base image before. It’s almost always accidental when it does happen.

Also, I don’t +1 too many of the themes on the theme board, cause I like that it’s pretty much community driven at this point. Speaking of which, though, I need to get more themes into the queue…

orionid
    Participant

Soosh – I’m curious about the blue sky in your IR shot. Did you swap the red/blue channels, or is it unfiltered IR + visible?

swampa
    Participant

Elsinore and swampa–oh, for petes sake, and you haven’t +1’d my ‘These foolish games’ theme suggestion yet? Do I h&ve to Draw you a picture? 😯

I haven’t ever played D&D, I was just trying to be funny 😳

I was waiting for someone to go “that is the wrong spell to use there moran”

soosh
    Participant

I don’t remember if I did channel swapping on that particular one or not. The camera was a borrowed 10D with the IR doohickey removed from the sensor, there wasn’t an IR filter on the lens. So I think it got some visible in there, too. On an overcast day, I got a lot of purple tones to the shots I took. You can see more here:

http://sacredartichoke.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=25

on a clear day looking straight up, I got really intense black skies, like this:

but closer to the horizon, the skies changed

then when it was all foggy and overcast, I got this kind of tint:

soosh
    Participant

I think I must have done channel-swapping on the skyline picture. I don’t think the in the trees ever showed up like that straight out of the camera.

I’ll have to go back and try to find the raw files at home to see what they look like.

orionid
    Participant

I think I must have done channel-swapping on the skyline picture. I don’t think the in the trees ever showed up like that straight out of the camera.

I’ll have to go back and try to find the raw files at home to see what they look like.

Hmmm…..

Has there been any discussion about this? I’ve seen lots of other people using digital IR from time to time in the themes, and never really thought about it. Now that I’ve started playing with it myself, and researching/learning, I’ve realized that the blue sky effect comes from the (pretty standard) process of swapping the red and blue channels. I was planning on bringing it up in discussion at some point, since I’m leary about using mine under the thoughts that channel swapping is too software intensive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you should pull yours, I’m just curious if a decision was made before I came around, if it should be unaltered only from here out, or, since it’s been used fairly commonly in the past, let it be. Even unaltered out of the camera, you can get wild effects just by changing the white balance. On the road trip, I was shooting IR with WB braketing, and getting three completely different photos.

Great stuff in your directory, BTW. Here’s my foray into digital IR so far, All of them channel swapped, some with B+W 099 (orange) filter, some with Ha+IR (red astrophoto) filter.

cameraflage
    Participant

Woo hoo! I’m tied for dead last…that’s gonna blow my average to hell.

Thats what I get for avoiding cities on vacation and heading for the boondocks instead.

Awesome shot, staplermofo.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • The topic ‘05-19-10 – Skylines’ is closed to new replies.