06-02-10 – Macro Bugs

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-02-10 – Macro Bugs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Dessicated just means dried up, so no, that isn’t smashed up and is fine. The reason I say don’t do smashed up bugs is the whole “gross out” factor that Fark frowns upon (and in some cases deletes or banninates for, depending on the degree–e.g. dead animals are a no-no on Fark).

ravnostic
    Participant

Fair enough. Oddly, though, back in the day when I only had a PAS camera, I had a butterfly that had the misfortune of landing his body smack-dab in the middle of my car antenna while on the way to work. I snapped a couple pictures (none of which are good, really; it was a 4 mpxl cam), but I always thought it was a unique shot, both for me, and the butterfly. I still have them, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this contest, until I saw the quality was lacking even moreso than my usual submissions. I’d never imagine a butterfly could be so cleanly, yet not completely, split in two.

Here’s the best one:

Curious
    Participant

given that very few of us have true 1:1 macro lenses using the “macro” setting seems reasonable. of my 6 mountable lenses all claim some sort of macro and the best any will do is 1:2.

oh wait, someone here suggested the kenko extension tubes so got a set. love them.
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

ravnostic
    Participant

Okay, new question. While trying to capture a live ga-nat, I noticed a little web-thingy on my window screen ( I aluded to it earlier). Here’s the deal: it’s some kind of cocoon. It’s inhabitant is no longer in residence. The cocoon is very much shaped like and egg, with the top neatly sawed open at the top, and meshed with fine fibers to my window screen. Or it was, at least, and I took pictures, of course.

Naturally (geek, kid at heart, boy; call it what you will), I attempted to take it off the screen for a better look. And I managed to do so. So now I have these few window pics, and some microscopic macros showing the fibers that make up this as-it-turns-out incredibly durable 2.5 x 4 mm cocoon sac, complete with lid, a shot of the interior (DOF totally lacking; it’s a joke in a 100x power scope; I focused on the junk that was left on the bottom), various other pictures (I took 25.)

I wish to use one of them. Whatever creeped and crawled has done and Elvis and left the building.

Is the subject matter okay? I don’t know what shot I’ll use, but I’d like to use the best one I can manage from what I took.

And for the guy in Scottsdale (carderoc? I forget); I saved the little eggshell and lid in a little baggie. If you have a REAL macro and what to see what you can do with it; you’re welcome to it.

Not the shot I would use, but this is what I’m talking about:

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’d say that’s not actually a bug, so it wouldn’t fit for this theme.

ravnostic
    Participant

New theme suggestion: Macro bug abodes.

*sigh* I’ll save them for some future contest; sooner or later, there will be one that fits the images. Well, it’s my day off, I’ll have to go searching under some rocks for real live critters I guess. I was going to ask about little critters I know are lurking in the pool–gone-green at the house for which I’m dog sitting, but those aren’t insects either.

ravnostic
    Participant

Wow. Nevermind. Don’t need the cocoon. As soon as I posted, I walked outside, went to a tree by the bbq area, and saw the biggest purple and green catapillar I may have ever seen–in Arizona? Holy fark.

I have my contest entry. Somewhere in the 2 gigs and 274 shots, I have an entry (I won’t win, but I can at last be competative with what I’ve got to work with.)

Amazing.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Can I just say that shooting Macro on a living object with the powers of flight has proved to be extremely difficult? The only thing that makes it at all rewarding is the gold one pans after a lot of dross.

Also, the money that I am going to spend this month on true macro lens after the contest, well, my non-existent children are going to go hungry because of that!

olavf
    Participant

ennui – I hear you. One of my shots this week is going to be a jumping-type spider that I took last year and have been saving for just this contest. It took me nearly an hour and untold shots to get the one I wanted…and, thankfully I’d bought Kat a macro lens for her last birthday so I was able to borrow it to chase the little bugger around 😛

ennuipoet
    Participant

It took me nearly an hour and untold shots to get the one I wanted…

Ain’t digital grand! I am glad I learned to shoot on film first, for the discipline of cost that it taught, but I LOVE being able to shoot a hundred shots to get ten good ones.

oi_piss_me_off
    Participant

sooo, cooked would be ok? And being eaten?

olavf
    Participant

Ain’t digital grand! I am glad I learned to shoot on film first, for the discipline of cost that it taught, but I LOVE being able to shoot a hundred shots to get ten good ones.

Totally. I find myself experimenting a lot more to get just the shot I want, too, because I can. That’s probably my favorite part of going digital.

ravnostic
    Participant

Totally. I find myself experimenting a lot more to get just the shot I want, too, because I can. That’s probably my favorite part of going digital.

What you call ‘experimenting’ I call ‘take 100 shots because you’ll be lucky if one is worthy of submission’. For one of my entries, I took 29 shots, as I was on manual focus, as close as I could get w/my shortest focal length lens (28/80) plus *coughbullshitcough* ‘macro’ *cough* adapter (came with the camera, fro ‘Digital Concepts’). It seems with the Canon xTi there is, with this configuration, about an inch distance of wiggle room that the camera senses as ‘in focus’ (about 16 inches away total.) As I wanted the clearest shot available, I just kept weaving back and forth expecting at least one shot to be as crisp as I can get it to be.

(It was, and given the subject was 1/10″ [or twice that with legs], it’s a pretty damned good shot for a guy with no macro lens.)

The other shot I took about 140 (twice that if you count raw/jpg both). But it was way-cool, contest besides.

One more to go…

olavf
    Participant

FWIW, that’s about what I do too. I was taking pictures of a pillbug yesterday, for example, and I set the lens to the minimum focal length and moved around until the thing was in focus. Or, more frequently, got ahead of it and waited. Those little buggers are *fast* when they’re on a mission…

Also, pillbugs on concrete can be pretty uninteresting, because most of my shots ended up more suitable for kestrana‘s B&W&G contest than this one :/

Curious
    Participant

It took me nearly an hour and untold shots to get the one I wanted…

well being a film trained photographer and a master of my craft i shot 19 images of three bugs to get shots for this week.

then the damned bugs ran/flew away and i’m stuck with the few i got.

but as a pleasant change there are actually two of those i can use.

have two series of jumping spider, one from today and one from a while back, but don’t like any of them that much. those little buggers are hard to shoot and get decent DOF.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘06-02-10 – Macro Bugs’ is closed to new replies.