06-02-10 – Macro Bugs

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-02-10 – Macro Bugs

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

have two series of jumping spider, one from today and one from a while back, but don’t like any of them that much. those little buggers are hard to shoot and get decent DOF.

lol. yes they are. I chased one around yesterday, but didn’t get much I liked out of the deal. It was shady, so the lighting was only marginal 😛

ennuipoet
    Participant

well being a film trained photographer and a master of my craft i shot 19 images of three bugs to get shots for this week.

As I transition back to film in medium format, I find myself obsessing over tiny details when composing shots. I’ve actually found myself arranging flowers on the bush for compositions. The thought of trying to shoot this theme on film gives me the heebie jeebies! 🙂

LeicaLens
    Participant

well being a film trained photographer and a master of my craft i shot 19 images of three bugs to get shots for this week.

As I transition back to film in medium format, I find myself obsessing over tiny details when composing shots. I’ve actually found myself arranging flowers on the bush for compositions. The thought of trying to shoot this theme on film gives me the heebie jeebies! 🙂

May I ask what you use for shooting medium format? I love using film (though for this competition, the advantages of digital are manifest, as people have said), and I am thinking of getting a medium format. If you have any advice, pointers, dos/donts, I would be grateful.

Curious
    Participant

May I ask what you use for shooting medium format? I love using film (though for this competition, the advantages of digital are manifest, as people have said), and I am thinking of getting a medium format. If you have any advice, pointers, dos/donts, I would be grateful.

i have 4×5 speed graphic with a 6×9 roll film back. yeah i mixed inches and CM there 🙂 anyway it was fun to use but real slow to use. also have a rolleiflex tlr with built in match needle meter. since getting the film processed is a pain i haven’t used it in years.

if you have a few thousand dollars laying around here’s a modern version.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303163-USA/Rollei_66607_Rolleiflex_4_0_FW_Medium.html#specifications

that price just HAS to be wrong. the damn thing isn’t gold plated.

Curious
    Participant

holy crap. went to ebay to check used prices and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolleiflex-3-5E-Planar-Lens-w-Cap-Case-Instr-MINT-/140410550944?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item20b11efaa0 a mint rollei just like mine for $950. and mine is in the same condition or very close to it. no manual but still.

while i hate to sell stuff this looks tempting.

LeicaLens
    Participant

i have 4×5 speed graphic with a 6×9 roll film back. yeah i mixed inches and CM there 🙂 anyway it was fun to use but real slow to use. also have a rolleiflex tlr with built in match needle meter. since getting the film processed is a pain i haven’t used it in years.

if you have a few thousand dollars laying around here’s a modern version.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303163-USA/Rollei_66607_Rolleiflex_4_0_FW_Medium.html#specifications

I was thinking of getting a Yashica, if I can find a decent one secondhand. They tend to be cheaper than Rolleiflex here. I also found a Mamiya RB67 with 90mm and 180mm lenses and other bits and pieces (incl. two film backs) for about $600 all in.

However, the problem is how often will I use it, where will I use it (heavy), and can I scan in the negatives to my computer like I can with 35mm? The answer to the first is “probably not right often”, the second is “landscapes (but I need to sort out my Japanese driving license first), and for the last question I am pretty sure the answer is “no”.

I checked at my local camera store, and the cost for developing a reel of 120 at least was about $7. Not sure about prices in the States, but that didn’t strike me as too bad.

olavf
    Participant

The big stumbling block for me & medium format has been the glass. I mean, I’ve seen Hasselblad bodies for under $500, but by the time I get a back, and even a single prime add at least 1K to that :/

Curious
    Participant

and for the last question I am pretty sure the answer is “no”.

I checked at my local camera store, and the cost for developing a reel of 120 at least was about $7. Not sure about prices in the States, but that didn’t strike me as too bad.

if your scanner will do 35mm you might be able to do 2 1/4. it would depend on the software more than the hardware since you can make a mask for the negative and probably find a decent light source to shine through the negative but if the software has preset boundaries rather than ones you can adjust .. well that’s really the limiting factor.

re film processing IIRC it was higher here the last time i checked. but that may have been with prints rather than just the film or film and a contact sheet.

LeicaLens
    Participant

The big stumbling block for me & medium format has been the glass. I mean, I’ve seen Hasselblad bodies for under $500, but by the time I get a back, and even a single prime add at least 1K to that :/

This is true as well. Which is one reason why the Mamiya seemed quite attractive. However, it seems to be bulkier than a Hasselblad, and designed really for studio work. As you mentioned, Hasselblad bodies aren’t overly expensive, but the lenses…ugh!

LeicaLens
    Participant

if your scanner will do 35mm you might be able to do 2 1/4. it would depend on the software more than the hardware since you can make a mask for the negative and probably find a decent light source to shine through the negative but if the software has preset boundaries rather than ones you can adjust .. well that’s really the limiting factor.

re film processing IIRC it was higher here the last time i checked. but that may have been with prints rather than just the film or film and a contact sheet.

That’s interesting, thanks. I’ll have a look at my printer manual, see if it says anything.
    It has a specially designed strip light in the lid for 35mm, so I suspect the software for it may be limited to that format, but you never know.

staplermofo
    Participant

The weight is listed as 1275kg, so it’s gotta be solid gold right?
    Of course, with the Euro doing so poorly of late that works out to like 45 ounces.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I was thinking of getting a Yashica, if I can find a decent one secondhand. They tend to be cheaper than Rolleiflex here. I also found a Mamiya RB67 with 90mm and 180mm lenses and other bits and pieces (incl. two film backs) for about $600 all in.

However, the problem is how often will I use it, where will I use it (heavy), and can I scan in the negatives to my computer like I can with 35mm? The answer to the first is “probably not right often”, the second is “landscapes (but I need to sort out my Japanese driving license first), and for the last question I am pretty sure the answer is “no”.

I’ve got an old Rolleicord and I’m in the market for a Yashica Mat 124 but I haven’t found one at the price I like. I like the TLR’s for the nostalgia aspect more than any other reasons.

If you have the inclination and time, home developing of film is easy and not at all expensive. I’ve not plunged yet, but I will buy the tanks and chemicals soon. If you have a decent negative scanner, then the money part is already spent.

ravnostic
    Participant

I wish I could afford such toys; it’s my understanding that Az. Highways still requires the 4.5″ negative images for their magazine submissions. They’re the only ones that can blow up to a full-spread size magazine image and still retain the quality.

I went out and got my third shot this morning (and another 199 that weren’t as good, though some were ‘spiffy’ enough.) It is, I must say, the best macro picture I’ve ever taken. If I had a macro lens, I don’t know that I could do any better. It may actually be the best picture of any subject I’ve ever taken–and certainly will be my best farktography submission to date.

Of course, one of ute’s will outclass me with the products of your fabulous toys. But I’m stoked that my humble toy will give you’s a run for your money (I think. I hope. I’ll be shocked if I don’t get some farktography street cred out of this.)

Curious
    Participant

so i have another idea this morning and since the ext tube is still mounted out i go to shoot it. turned out ok but not great.

an hour later wanting a shot of the dog i dismount the ext tube go outside and find a great dragonfly that will hold still while i poke at it with the camera. well the resulting shots are better than most of my dragonfly photos and since the lens is marked “macro” somewhere on the barrel i’m using the photos.

ravnostic
    Participant

If I’ve watermarked my submissions with my signature in the corner, is that kosher? I don’t want to get DQ’d; I’ve seen others put in little ‘trademarks’ or ‘created by’s and such. Good?

I wouldn’t ask because I wouldn’t bother, but I’m actually proud of my entries this week (esp. one in particular) and though people can just crop them out, I want them marked as “I made this”.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 168 total)
  • The topic ‘06-02-10 – Macro Bugs’ is closed to new replies.