06-04-08 – Trees

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I didn’t live here at the time but a bunch of my relatives have lived here for ever I think and they all tell stories about being overrun with little people.most of them were pretty cool from what I hear.A store just up the road has one of the “stones” the ewoks used in some shot or other.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I had a tough time picking the photos to submit this week for a variety of reasons. The folks I bounce idea off didn’t get back to me in time, the images I really liked at home looked too dark/muddy on other monitors, and I just kept changing my mind over and over. When I did hear back from the people that preview finalists for me, some of they suggested images I’d talked myself out of submitting, yay!

So in the interest of getting better at this, I’m posting my tree preview list here and would welcome any constructive criticism. No need to be nice or otherwise hold back if you have strong opinions. 🙂 I have a thick skin, won’t take it personally, and am doing this to learn. Also if you want to contact me directly, you can e-mail me at lemat@nihilon.com instead of posting here.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

I know the tree images were supposed to speak for themselves, without a caption, but it’s quite hard to translate what these trees mean to people just by looking at them…Anyone care to share a story ?….Is this even legal while the event is still in progress ?…..Mine’s kinda’ interesting….I can wait.

I?m a newbie to Farktography, so forgive me if I step in it.

There is a bit of a story with one of the photos I submitted. I’ve always referred to it as “Ghost of Katrina”. Along the Mississippi Gulf Coast many of our ancient oaks did not survive the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. One in particular is close to the office where I work. I happened to catch sight of it on a very foggy morning earlier this year. I thought it would make a striking photograph and someone should capture the moment. I did and it did. Not long after I took the shot, it was bulldozed to make way for rebuilding.

I’ll try to stay within the spirit of the rules, so I won’t tell specifically which picture it is. But, I’m sure you can figure it out.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I know the tree images were supposed to speak for themselves, without a caption, but it’s quite hard to translate what these trees mean to people just by looking at them…Anyone care to share a story ?….Is this even legal while the event is still in progress ?…..Mine’s kinda’ interesting….I can wait.

There is a bit of a story with one of the photos I submitted. I’ve always referred to it as “Ghost of Katrina”. Along the Mississippi Gulf Coast many of our ancient oaks did not survive the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. One in particular is close to the office where I work. I happened to catch sight of it on a very foggy morning earlier this year. I thought it would make a striking photograph and someone should capture the moment. I did and it did. Not long after I took the shot, it was bulldozed to make way for rebuilding.

I’ll try to stay within the spirit of the rules, so I won’t tell specifically which picture it is. But, I’m sure you can figure it out.

I’m glad you explained the backstory of that shot. It matches perfectly with the vibe I got when I saw it. The number of votes seems to indicate that lots of people agree, so nice job!

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for respecting the rules. By the letter of the law, I see no problem posting the background for your photo here. It had no caption on the Fark thread and certainly was able to speak for itself. It was one of my favorites for the whole thread and got my vote. I like it even more knowing that it has been bulldozed. Nice work and welcome aboard.

schnee
    Participant

Welcome. Nice photo(s). Have a portfolio. Come back next week!

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

I had a tough time picking the photos to submit this week for a variety of reasons. The folks I bounce idea off didn’t get back to me in time, the images I really liked at home looked too dark/muddy on other monitors, and I just kept changing my mind over and over. When I did hear back from the people that preview finalists for me, some of they suggested images I’d talked myself out of submitting, yay!

So in the interest of getting better at this, I’m posting my tree preview list here and would welcome any constructive criticism. No need to be nice or otherwise hold back if you have strong opinions. 🙂 I have a thick skin, won’t take it personally, and am doing this to learn. Also if you want to contact me directly, you can e-mail me at lemat@nihilon.com instead of posting here.

I can see why you had a hard time choosing. Lot’s of great shots. I especially like the driftwood, seascape and redwoods. I lived just outside of Santa Cruz, CA for about 10 years. A lot of your shots really take me back. Keep up the good work.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

Thanks for respecting the rules. By the letter of the law, I see no problem posting the background for your photo here. It had no caption on the Fark thread and certainly was able to speak for itself. It was one of my favorites for the whole thread and got my vote. I like it even more knowing that it has been bulldozed. Nice work and welcome aboard.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Enjoyed your shots as well.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

No portfolio to speak of. Just getting back into photography after a many year hiatus. Thanks for the welcome.

schnee
    Participant

No portfolio to speak of. Just getting back into photography after a many year hiatus. Thanks for the welcome.

It wasn’t a question, it was an imperative. Seriously, have a portfolio…(hint, follow the link)

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

It wasn’t a question, it was an imperative. Seriously, have a portfolio…(hint, follow the link)

Ah, those pesky punctuation marks get me every time. 😉 Well looky there, I got myself a portfolio. Thanks for the link.

schnee
    Participant

By the way, both in quantity and in quality, this was a rather impressive showing.

I think that I shall never see… indeed.

corsec67
    Participant

By the way, both in quantity and in quality, this was a rather impressive showing.

I think that I shall never see… indeed.

By any measure, this was my best contest ever. I think I used up all of my “do well in a contest” mojo here.

There are a lot of amazing pictures in this theme.

Morningbreath
    Participant

Choc-Ful-A For what its worth, I’ll send you some feed back in the next couple days

swampa
    Participant

This weeks congrats goes to:
    Stupido on passing 1000 votes.
    Soosh on moving up to 6th on the highest vote getters ever list
    Psychofarms on joining the recent highest vote getters list

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • The topic ‘06-04-08 – Trees’ is closed to new replies.