06-10-09 – Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-10-09 – Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    corsec67
    Participant

Thanks to all for the responses. They were helpful in that I think the people are a distraction, but not a dealbreaker. If I choose this one I will likely just increase the blur and hope that makes a difference.

Also, as you get further from the plane of “focus”, the blur generally should increase.

I had 7 layers in most of my entries, with crazy layer masks handling the transitions. You could get away with less if you have less overall blur.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

It’s hard to tell on that picture because the area is so shallow but I did apply the blur on a gradient. Only on one separate layer however. I certainly may try multiple layers now, although seven is quite an amazing dedication!

erond
    Participant

It’s logos and advertising that make my brain go into “something wrong” mode on miniatures. I think it’s a case of “if it’s clear enough to read, the person put way too much work into trivial detail”.

I have an image that I’m fighting with because I can’t effectively crop a billboard out, and it’s distracting to the rest of the image along with “why is there a detailed ad?”

soosh
    Participant

oh, god, you people are way over-thinking this. I don’t think it’s who makes the most believable miniature scene, it’s who gets the coolest photo at the end of things. I think the votes are going to go on overall impact, not fine-level detail.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

oh, god, you people are way over-thinking this.

Soooo… how is this different than any other week?

U-Man
    Participant

You write that as if it is surprising. 🙂 One of the things I like about this community is that my OCDish tendencies are, like, normal.

/the others don’t consider it normal to be up at 4 AM taking photos of glaciers. But we do! And we love you because of it.
    //not enough to give you a man-hug though.

soosh
    Participant

You write that as if it is surprising. 🙂 One of the things I like about this community is that my OCDish tendencies are, like, normal.

/the others don’t consider it normal to be up at 4 AM taking photos of glaciers. But we do! And we love you because of it.
    //not enough to give you a man-hug though.

point taken. I just never considered whether people in the shot would detract.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands and can’t leave the house all day, so these things happen.

nobigdeal
    Participant

oh, god, you people are way over-thinking this. I don’t think it’s who makes the most believable miniature scene, it’s who gets the coolest photo at the end of things. I think the votes are going to go on overall impact, not fine-level detail.

Overthinking has been the norm around here lately. A few weeks ago there was a debate over the definition of a shadow 🙂

I’m just running stuff through the website, if it looks cool I keep it if not I delete.

soosh
    Participant

I think that collectively, tonight’s contest is going to be a pretty cool page to scroll through.

soosh
    Participant

dammit, can you nuke my first two? I screwed up the HTML.

olavf
    Participant

Great minds think alike Elsinore

millera9
    Participant

Great minds think alike Elsinore

I was just going to ask about that. Was that planned or are you two really just on the same wavelength tonight?!

Also, sorry for the premature outburst Elsinore and Morningbreath. I got a little excited and, well… yeah, it happens sometimes… 😳

Elsinore
    Keymaster

soosh: got em

olavf: lol funny that!

Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4440829

linguine
    Participant

This is already looking like its going to be a pretty popular contest.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • The topic ‘06-10-09 – Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes’ is closed to new replies.