06-20-12 – Parks

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    mopsy
    Participant

Got it. In camera changes to coloration are okay but similar changes in photoshop are not.

Kestrana
    Participant

Got it. In camera changes to coloration are okay but similar changes in photoshop are not.

Sort of… if you adjust your in camera white balance and saturation to create unrealistic results, that wouldn’t be okay either. But if you use a filter with your camera, or you use a camera or film specifically designed to create strange colors (like orionid) that’s ok.

emiliogtz
    Participant

Sort of… if you adjust your in camera white balance and saturation to create unrealistic results, that wouldn’t be okay either. But if you use a filter with your camera, or you use a camera or film specifically designed to create strange colors (like orionid) that’s ok.

This is why I like farktography. I got to dust off my old filters and I’m spending more time making photographs instead of photoshopping them.

mopsy
    Participant

I think just to be safe, I’ll stay away from any and all of the possibilities as I think it is a fine line that can be crossed unknowingly. At least, in my limited amount of technical know how. But thanks for the info.

orionid
    Participant

In orionid‘s case he didn’t do anything to the photo – he converted his d50 to take photos in the infrared spectrum. Essentially, you use your white balance in camera to select what color is white – so if you set it on grass, green would be white, and it adjusts other colors in the spectrum along the color wheel accordingly.

Sort of.

The whitebalance adjust is secondary to a lot of other things. The camera was mechanically converted to allow the full spectrum of what the sensor is capable of seeing to strike the sensor. Put simply, the filters that block infrared and ultraviolet were removed. Now the sensor is able to “see” both visible light and a lot more energy that we can’t see with our eyes.

Since it’s now perceptive to a wider range of the electromagnetic/photon spectrum, I can selectively use filters to control what parts do strike the sensor (just like it did originally, but with a different part of the spectrum).

White balancing after that fact is more like a fine tuning.

Think of it as a radio. Lets say all radios come from the factory with filters in place so that they can only hear music from 92.5 to 101.1. Well, I heard that there’s good stuff to listen to on 88.5 and 106.7, so I took the filters out and now it can listen to anything from 88.1 to 107.9.

Optically, this is almost no different than the effects achieved from using infrared-sensitive film.

On this one in particular, I set the camera up with an astronomy filter with maximum passage at 656.28 nm (roughly blood red) and 75% passage to everything longer (more red/IR) than that. Then, I set the white balance to tell the camera that the peak reflectivity of chlorophyll (roughly 1000 nm) is pure white, and is the weighted balance of the entire spectrum. Then I changed to a different filter that only allows 595 nm (visible orange) to 990 nm (near IR) to pass through. In this way, the camera is now “tricked” into believing that there is no pure white light coming in, and that everything has a purple or orange tint.

Hope that helps (and I hope I didn’t delve too deep into the physics of the situation).

cameraflage
    Participant

Kestrana….your Shenandoah shot….North District, near Mt. Marshall, or Central District, just south of Mary’s Rock tunnel?

clouddancer
    Participant

This is going to seem silly, but why aren’t the voting buttons showing up for me?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hm, not sure…I see them on your entries (and everyone else’s). Had you looked before 12:01am?

clouddancer
    Participant

The link was open, but since I’m not TF at the moment, I had to wait until 12:01 to see anything in the thread. I’m wondering if something just isn’t loading right now. If I mouse over the bars, the icon changes, but I can’t see anything there.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s strange. Anyone else experiencing issues like this ^^ ?

clouddancer
    Participant

It might just be me. I don’t know if our internet is just being weird lately or not. Every now and then things just won’t load, we’ll get 404 or untrusted connection and then a little while later everything’s back up, and no one else is having issues.

linguine
    Participant

Everything seems to be loading right for me.

Yoyo
    Participant

I’d just like to comment that Kauffman Stadium is a much better baseball park than that architectural nightmare, cramped, lopsided piece of crap Fenway, even if the Royals have sucked ever since Ewing sold the team.

mopsy
    Participant

Thanks Orionid, I do understand it and again, I’m not trying to cause a problem, but it seems like we are splitting hairs over whether you can do what you do in camera vs. someone else doing the same thing in photoshop. It used to be clear because there did not seem to be as much in camera “stuff” going on, but now I see you can even do Tilt-Shift in camera as ravnostic did in this theme. I totally understand not being able to remove or add anything to a photo via photoshop but question where all the camera and filter technology is taking us.

emiliogtz
    Participant

Thanks Orionid, I do understand it and again, I’m not trying to cause a problem, but it seems like we are splitting hairs over whether you can do what you do in camera vs. someone else doing the same thing in photoshop. It used to be clear because there did not seem to be as much in camera “stuff” going on, but now I see you can even do Tilt-Shift in camera as ravnostic did in this theme. I totally understand not being able to remove or add anything to a photo via photoshop but question where all the camera and filter technology is taking us.

To be fair, tilt-shift lenses have been around for decades, but I see your point. Just wait until Nikon and Canon incorporate Instagram in their firmware =)

While on the subject, what about lensbabies? I don’t own or intend to own one, I’m just being curious.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • The topic ‘06-20-12 – Parks’ is closed to new replies.