06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

I might submit this panorama but I’m really not sure of what the fark-sized image would look like. Could I do a crop that pops to a full-sized much wider than the crop?

Kestrana
    Participant

Since we’re allowing stitching for this contest I would say that’s fine

chupathingie
    Participant

hmmmmm…. all of my panos employ some tone-mapping, so I’m guessing they’re out of the running? If so, I’m gonna have to go dig out some RAWs.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah HDR and tone mapping software would be too far for this contest as it’s currently been suggested.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Since we’re talking about panos, how do people like to host them? If I use picasa as usual it would be hard even for people who clicked through to get anything much larger than gets posted to the thread. I really want to use this one: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pbvj4M-x7TyA93yvM8tB6wgoPNmLZef3e7s-RQjQBBY?feat=directlink
    but it really needs to be viewed at larger sizes.

chupathingie
    Participant

Yeah HDR and tone mapping software would be too far for this contest as it’s currently been suggested.

I thought as much. That’s OK, though, I think I can make some passable (maybe even vote-worthy) images from some of my subs. None of the panos I’ve posted here will be allowed in their present form, I’ll have to go back and see what I can do with a single set of exposure levels. The way my luck runs, I’ll be unable to enter due to being rode hard at work way out in Rooster Poot anyway…

Since we’re talking about panos, how do people like to host them? If I use picasa as usual it would be hard even for people who clicked through to get anything much larger than gets posted to the thread. I really want to use this one: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pbvj4M-x7TyA93yvM8tB6wgoPNmLZef3e7s-RQjQBBY?feat=directlink

I’ve been using flickr to post panos, sample here. Long panos are pretty ungainly for the web no matter where you host, though…

linguine
    Participant

What I usually do is upload a fark sized version and a bigger version, then you post the fark sized one in the contest with a link under it for the bigger version.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I might submit this panorama but I’m really not sure of what the fark-sized image would look like. Could I do a crop that pops to a full-sized much wider than the crop?

I think if the cropped photo you’re posting to the Farktography thread is a different/smaller crop/composition than the photo you’re linking to, then I’d say that’s beyond the rules. Of course, you can always post a Fark-width photo that pops to a larger or full size version.

chupathingie
    Participant

soosh, the fark-sized image would look like crap, but I’d still vote for that one twice if I could.

That’s just gorgeous.

ravnostic
    Participant

I thought as much. That’s OK, though, I think I can make some passable (maybe even vote-worthy) images from some of my subs. None of the panos I’ve posted here will be allowed in their present form, I’ll have to go back and see what I can do with a single set of exposure levels. The way my luck runs, I’ll be unable to enter due to being rode hard at work way out in Rooster Poot anyway…

I’ve been using flickr to post panos, sample here. Long panos are pretty ungainly for the web no matter where you host, though…

I’d be more than happy to host full-size res versions on my hosting site (zero restrictions there!). They can be emailed to me, I’ll upload them, and send the link. Just another option I’ll put out there.

cameraflage
    Participant

I’m looking forward to this contest (for obvious reasons).

clouddancer
    Participant

Just want to put here for the record that baking soda and vinegar is a weak reaction and really not what I’m going for. Any suggestions for household things to create a bigger reaction?

Yeah, I’m making my own. Only chance I have in this.

sleeping
    Participant

Just want to put here for the record that baking soda and vinegar is a weak reaction and really not what I’m going for. Any suggestions for household things to create a bigger reaction?

Add some dish detergent (it makes a difference).

orionid
    Participant

Yeah, I’m making my own. Only chance I have in this.

Use these

Mista_Sparkle
    Participant

If you have any citric acid, it seems to react faster than just plain old vinegar.

I have also had luck pre dissolving baking soda in water for a more violent reaction.

Fireworks always work.

Man, if I want to participate, I should build something as well… Living in Illinois stinks…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • The topic ‘06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains’ is closed to new replies.