06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

It’s definitely a participation-only week for me–great stuff guys!

Seconded. I shot a few shots of the mountains in Tennessee and Georgia last month but to my mind mountains should be…MOUNTAINS, Rockies, Sierra Nevada, Gregor Clegane, you know big!

At heart I am a City Boy, (despite growing up in the mountains). So I did my obligatory three and am not worried about the results. What I am seeing is impressing the hell out me!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

]Gregor Clegane

Now THAT’S a mountain.

orionid
    Participant

It’s definitely a participation-only week for me–great stuff guys!

Seconded. I shot a few shots of the mountains in Tennessee and Georgia last month but to my mind mountains should be…MOUNTAINS, Rockies, Sierra Nevada, Gregor Clegane, you know big!

At heart I am a City Boy, (despite growing up in the mountains). So I did my obligatory three and am not worried about the results. What I am seeing is impressing the hell out me!

Yes, but the Appalachians were dominating the skyline millions of years before rockies and sierras were even a twinkle in mama nature’s eye. Get off their lawn.

Oh, and Gregor Clegane? I can’t even find Westoros on a map, let alone Gregor.

Kestrana
    Participant

*tiny spoiler* Funny, everyone else is going to have a hard time finding Gregor pretty soon too…

Lots of quality entries this week. I hope some of the newer people like Beer It’s What’s For Dinner stick around.

orionid
    Participant

Orionid, were you up or downstream from the Sacandaga Reservoir for that river shot? I went to high school just a couple three miles from the downstream portion of the river, where it joins the Hudson at Rockwell Falls. I spent a summer playing white water guide along that stretch for the tourists.

It was downstream, and google maps isn’t particularly helpfull on this one, so I’ll just describe and hope your knowledge of the old stomping grounds pays off. I was out shooting for the deers and dams contest way back when, and had just finished getting what I had hoped to be a sunrise overconklingville dam (turns out I got misty blue pre-dawn shots that were awesome in their own right). I was then headed along north shore rd to go pass the Stewarts Bridge Dam/hydro/spillway. I saw an old wooden sign on the right that said something or other park, and wondered if it had the access road that I saw near the dam, so I went in. About 20 yards in was a makeshift boatramp (all dirt) a sign warning about dams both up and downstream, and another sign saying “4wd only beyong this point” and “no ATVs.” Inside the park was an area that looked like rednecks had been using it to mudbog, a handful of campsites, and a small (family?) graveyard from the 1800’s right on the water.

There’s no park or campsites shown on the map on that side of the river, but here’s a link, to what recollection serves as the most likely point: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=43.307224,-73.905458&spn=0.013272,0.027165&sll=43.307224,-73.905501&sspn=0.013272,0.027165&geocode=FeTUlAIdLkiY-w%3BFU_VlAIdQ0iY-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&t=h&z=15

velaskez
    Participant

Sorry to bother you guys with such a silly question but I was wondering where you submit the pictures? Also does the photo have to contain all 3 subjects or can it be only one subject?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The photo can contain any of the 3 subjects–doesn’t have to be all three in the same photo. the contest is actually hosted on fark.com where you need to have an account set up. The thread is located here: http://www.fark.com/comments/6320187/

ennuipoet
    Participant

Yes, but the Appalachians were dominating the skyline millions of years before rockies and sierras were even a twinkle in mama nature’s eye. Get off their lawn.

Oh, and Gregor Clegane? I can’t even find Westoros on a map, let alone Gregor.

Hey! I was born and raised in the shadow of the Appalachians! Like many men my age, I just want something a little younger, a little sexier!

And I think you will Westeros in County Clegane, Ireland.

I knew you and Kes would be all over that 😀

orionid
    Participant

Ha!

velaskez
    Participant

The photo can contain any of the 3 subjects–doesn’t have to be all three in the same photo. the contest is actually hosted on fark.com where you need to have an account set up. The thread is located here: http://www.fark.com/comments/6320187/

Thank you for the info

orionid
    Participant

And I think you will Westeros in County Clegane, Ireland.

Whar?

sleeping
    Participant
    olavf
    Participant

Ireland, Sweden. Potato, potatis.

justkat
    Participant

I LOLed about listing Gregor Clegane as a properly big mountain.

Ireland, Sweden. Potato, potatis.

*likes*

chupathingie
    Participant

It was downstream, and google maps isn’t particularly helpfull on this one, so I’ll just describe and hope your knowledge of the old stomping grounds pays off.

Well that narrows things down considerably… that’s about 2 crow-fly miles from my high school way back in 82…we used to party in the woods up there, and we launched the rafts for the tourii at the base of Stewart’s Dam (which almost succumbed to the heavy runoff this year, BTW). About 2 miles SE of that spot is a stream that falls maybe 20 feet into a deep pool that we used to swim in, would have been a perfect spot for another pic for this theme. Pretty up there.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
  • The topic ‘06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains’ is closed to new replies.