06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Title says it all. Stitched panoramas are allowed for this theme.

Thanks to orionid for another quality theme suggestion!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Blast-I was hoping this would be after I move to Hawaii so I could get all three in one shot. I guess I’ll just have to fall back to the thousands of mountain shots in my archives.

olavf
    Participant

Plama – dueling 395s? 😀

clouddancer
    Participant

Does water falling over a dam count as waterfall? I got nothing so far. Hopefully I’ll be able to get to some place. Don’t want to use another Katahdin shot, it’s kind of boring.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Plama – dueling 395s? 😀

Hell yeah. Most of my best (read: my favorite) photography is taken just a few miles from the 395.

olavf
    Participant

Bring it. I only have a few hundred shots other than what I put up in that gallery, but I’m not skeered 😉
    /plus I’ve had an idea for this contest for a few months now…I just haven’t shot it yet…

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I think a really good volcano shot could easily win this theme. Sadly, I don’t have one (yet). I’ve been thinking about my entries for this contest for a while now, and I think I’ve chosen three good ones, but I’m going to have so many bees.

linguine
    Participant

Does water falling over a dam count as waterfall? I got nothing so far. Hopefully I’ll be able to get to some place. Don’t want to use another Katahdin shot, it’s kind of boring.

In the original theme thread we discussed building your own waterfalls/volcanoes so I’d think this would count.

orionid
    Participant

Of course.

I think a really good volcano shot could easily win this theme. Sadly, I don’t have one (yet). I’ve been thinking about my entries for this contest for a while now, and I think I’ve chosen three good ones, but I’m going to have so many bees.

The problem with Mauna Kea, though, is that she just kind of oozes like an old zit, unlike the explosive cyst that is Iceland’s fgjhfksahfjkashfjkhfshks. Most of the time, the safe viewing area set up by NPS is so far away, you’re lucky to get reactionary plumes where the lava meets the ocean. Assuming the whole flow isn’t underground.

From the edge of the caldera, with a steam plume at the edge of the crater
    Lava meets ocean from leeward side, midday
    Lava meets ocean from windward side, on a good visibility day, from the NPS observation area. 200mm, heavily cropped. also, before I knew about manual ISO control. 😕

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I have some very similar shots to your first two, Orionid, but I’m thinking I’m not going to use them. They’re just not impressive enough. At least to me. The third one, however, is pretty cool.

orionid
    Participant

Well, my third one is out, as I used it for “Orange.” And the first for “Panoramics.” Also, Oahu hasn’t seen an eruption in 50,000 years (give or take 20K, depending which study you read), so I’m not expecting any active lava on our honeymoon next month. I do have an idea for stitched mountains, though…..

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Hey, if you’re going to be on Oahu next month, would you mind checking out some apartments for me?

/I keed, I keed. But seriously, though, I’ll be asking your advice on living out there over the next few months. I’m going to need lots of advice.

orionid
    Participant

I’d be glad to help, are you going to Manoa campus, or are you going to be over by the scopes on the big island?

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Manoa campus, at least at first. I have the option in my third year to move to the Hilo facilities if I wish to pursue an instrumentation Ph.D. (which is unlikely, but not impossible).

orionid
    Participant

Cool, no problem. I lived more towards the south/central part of the island (Aiea/Pearl City), but I was over that way a fair amount since I had a buddy that lived in Waikiki.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • The topic ‘06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains’ is closed to new replies.