06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    LightGiver
    Participant

Just want to put here for the record that baking soda and vinegar is a weak reaction and really not what I’m going for. Any suggestions for household things to create a bigger reaction?

Yeah, I’m making my own. Only chance I have in this.

diet coke and mentos?

Kestrana
    Participant

Hey I’m from Illinois. It’s not all bad. You can get some waterfall action at Starved Rock or Effigy Mounds.

olavf
    Participant

I ended up picking #2 and #3 (and #4) at pseudo-random. I have no idea what’s going to play well.

-on the bright side, I’ve only had one entry the last two contests. That means it’s a good thing, right?

ravnostic
    Participant

I actually feel pretty good about this one. Despite the fact that I’m only using one from my trip to Colorado (I did, after all, get about 800 pics before the camera died), I had zero difficulty in picking my shots. Whether they will get the votes or not I don’t know (nor do I care–I like them, anyway.) I have no b’s. It was almost a no-brainer this time; I knew going in which ones I’d use. And that’s highly unusual for me.

olavf
    Participant

When we went to Vegas a few months back I took loads of shots through the various mountains. Many of them are better fitted to other contests (not as ‘mountainy’ feeling as I like. so I picked a cross-section of them, and have one that is ‘out of the box’ as it were that I came up with way back when the contest got hoppered. That’s the one I’m throwing my money on – I haven’t done landscapey stuff in a long time, really.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m with you, olavf. I had a bunch to choose from and have no idea if I made the right choices. I feel pretty good about them, but I know this theme is gonna bring out a lot of stiff competition.

olavf
    Participant

I feel pretty good about my set-up shot, so long as people get the reference. Otherwise, I’m just going to mix dry and snowy mountains, I guess, just to cover the range (no pun intended)

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I’m torn between doing one of each, which I feel is more with the spirit of the theme, or doing all mountains, which for me is probably a stronger set. Gaah.

EDIT: Orionid (or anybody else, for that matter) are you going to be using an Akaka falls pic? If so, I’ll use something else. I know yours would blow mine away.

orionid
    Participant

I’ve already used my best shot from Akaka, so go right ahead. I’m probably using a shot of Nanue falls, a stitched pano from observatory row, and something from the mainland.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I actually decided against it anyway-I’m doing volcano and mountains. Before all that, however, I need to sleep. Somebody wake me in time for the contest.
    /I’m right in the middle of an epic multi-day observing run. My brain is garbling all of the wharrs right now. Maybe I should stop typing and go to sleep. Heh.
    //wrgironortoeo!

ennuipoet
    Participant

OK, I need a ruling:

Obviously, it is NOT an actual volcano. It is, however, a rupture in the surface of the Earth through which high temperature gases escape into the atmosphere. So, is it outside the box and on theme or just wishful thinking?

(Probably not the actual photo I am using, but of the same subject.

Kestrana
    Participant

I think it’s great for “Infrastructure” 🙂

ennuipoet
    Participant

I think it’s great for “Infrastructure” 🙂

Look, I am trying to work a little creative sophistry here! I have waterfalls in NYC, but mountains and volcanoes ain’t happening! At least I am not putting up skyline and saying “Well, those are mountains to me!”

Not to say I didn’t THINK about it!

orionid
    Participant

My gut leans towards not so much, but if you’re willing to leave it to the whim of the voters to believe that constitutes “volcano” I’ll allow it.

buildings as “man-made mountains” are right out. A kid on a pile of dirt playing king of the mountain would be fine.

OTOH, a rental car and a trip straight west out of the city puts you in the Appalachians right quick (and a fairly jagged, rocky stretch at that).

ennuipoet
    Participant

My gut leans towards not so much, but if you’re willing to leave it to the whim of the voters to believe that constitutes “volcano” I’ll allow it.

buildings as “man-made mountains” are right out. A kid on a pile of dirt playing king of the mountain would be fine.

OTOH, a rental car and a trip straight west out of the city puts you in the Appalachians right quick (and a fairly jagged, rocky stretch at that).

Yes, but I would need a drivers license for that, which at the moment I don’t have. (I let it lapse years ago and just never replaced it. It will be rectified shortly)

I’m gonna give the Street Volcano a shot, the worst that can happen is it tanks in the voting.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 102 total)
  • The topic ‘06-22-11 – Volcanoes, Waterfalls, and Mountains’ is closed to new replies.