06-30-10 – Rain, Rain, Go Away

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-30-10 – Rain, Rain, Go Away

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t chime in sooner after my first post this evening. I’m at Mopsy’s and the fish were calling. Then I just HAD to light off some fireworks for *ahem* the kids. 🙂

I truly didn’t mean to cause a ruckus. In my head, I thought that this was discussed and OK. I didn’t re-read this thread before taking that frog and toad-stool pic. If it is any consolation – it was a pain the the ass photo. I couldn’t get the exposure right and the frogs were jumping and I had to wipe off my lens between most shots. My wife said that I was acting like a stereotypical, impatient, bossy photographer. 😳

caradoc
    Participant

Effin’ rain is so hard to photograph. And even harder to photograph in an interesting way.

Individual drops, maybe – I’ve never had much trouble with the distant “streamers” coming off of our thunderheads. The lightning typically illuminates those pretty nicely.

😉

Curious
    Participant

Rain is hard enough as it is. That said, rain is falling water, so I never specified the source *had* to be atmospheric clouds, either. I’m move for leniency here.

it’s your theme and your call

BUT

don’t we want these contest to be challenging?

IMO it’s ok if not everyone can play every week. i have never lived where it snows any measurable amount and for contests about snow i’m pretty much out. rain and i’m good, so this week i had choices.

we have a contest every week, please let’s try to stick to the theme more closely. IMO we get better photos both in quality and creativity that way. as for leaving it to the voters … hell the posters often don’t read the theme guidelines do you really think the voters do?

Elsinore (and other old timers) have heard me on this before but i felt compelled to post.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input, Curious. I figured that’s where you’d be on theme stuff in general, but that’s also a good point about the voters 🙄 😆

lokisbong
    Participant

I just couldn’t “fake” the rain so two of my shots are kinda boring after the rain pictures. I just didn’t think it would look or be right. Sprinkler rain didn’t feel right.

ravnostic
    Participant

I had a nice image (really, nicer than anything I posted this week) of what looks like raindrops in a pool of water, but in actuality is water dripping down into the pool from a small stream at Tonto Natural Bridge. I opted not to use it for just the reasons above. Ghetto may my shots be, they felt better to post. But that’s just me.

Kestrana
    Participant

Rain is hard enough as it is. That said, rain is falling water, so I never specified the source *had* to be atmospheric clouds, either. I’m move for leniency here.

it’s your theme and your call

BUT

don’t we want these contest to be challenging?

IMO it’s ok if not everyone can play every week. i have never lived where it snows any measurable amount and for contests about snow i’m pretty much out. rain and i’m good, so this week i had choices.

we have a contest every week, please let’s try to stick to the theme more closely. IMO we get better photos both in quality and creativity that way. as for leaving it to the voters … hell the posters often don’t read the theme guidelines do you really think the voters do?

Elsinore (and other old timers) have heard me on this before but i felt compelled to post.

There’s actually a lot of theme ideas I’ve thought about suggesting but decided not to because it wouldn’t be fair and encourage the casual poster to participate. This contest is one of the things I do and work on every week, photography being one of my prime hobbies. If we had a theme say, “Japan: pictures of Japan. Must be taken in Japan,” well then I would be screwed and upset that week.

IMHO taking a narrow approach regarding the theme doesn’t always breed more creativity. Challenge is good but what fun would a week be where only 100 photos get entered? For example, if you don’t get snow where you are, my personal take is, crush up some ice cubes and make a lego snowball fight or something. As a voter I’m more interested in seeing a solution to the problem than no entry from your talented lens.

/just my 2cs

staplermofo
    Participant

Thanks.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Kestrana: I don’t think even Curious would support something as restrictive as “Pictures of Japan. Must be taken in Japan”, but we do have themes like HDR and Stitched Panoramas that, like it or not, are restrictive in that they require specialized software that not everyone has, especially the casual participants. I’m definitely more partial to themes that are more (potentially) inclusive than those that are more (potentially) restrictive to participation. At the same time, if someone suggests a theme that you guys vote up and it has a specific requirement, then that requirement should be met; if someone went to the trouble of meeting the theme requirements while others didn’t, those who did meet the requirements might feel understandably put out.

For example, next week’s Passenger Side theme requires pictures taken from the passenger side while the car is in motion. Let’s say someone just shoots out the driver’s side because that’s easier than finding someone to drive them around and since they composed their shot with no car showing, they figure no one is going to be the wiser anyway. Well they might (probably would) get away with it, but would it be fair to those who set their shot up according to the requirements? Or if they sat in the passenger side while the car was stopped, but they panned the camera so it looked like the car was in motion during the shot, we might not be the wiser, but it wouldn’t exactly be right.

Of course, this is a big reason why I like it when we get all the particulars out of the way ahead of time, so that any exceptions or inclusions can be clear as possible going into things. It never seems to fail that there’s always something we don’t think of, though 😆

That said, if there’s a theme suggestion for something truly limiting to participation (e.g. Only Japan; Real Mountains; All Ocean, All the Time, etc), mods would probably veto it regardless of theme votes.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Cool shots, btw, staplermofo–Lensbaby?

caradoc
    Participant

Looks too clear for a Lensbaby, Elsinore. I was betting on a tilt-shift lens.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Except there’s blur at the bottom and top. A t/s lens at neutral/no tilt would be clear across the field with no blur or distortion. A Lensbaby has kind of a conical pattern where the central portion of the field is actually pretty sharp on the 2.0 or higher versions while the edges are distorted all around the image circle. And if you stop down, the area of distortion will be less.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I just want to say that I fully support the Pictures of Japan: Must be taken in Japan theme that’s been mentioned. I would like to add the rider that all pictures must be taken by a bespectacled Englishman over 6ft tall using an Olympus camera.
    Just to make it challenging.

Finally, I might *possibly* win a competition.

caradoc
    Participant

Except there’s blur at the bottom and top. A t/s lens at neutral/no tilt would be clear across the field with no blur or distortion. A Lensbaby has kind of a conical pattern where the central portion of the field is actually pretty sharp on the 2.0 or higher versions while the edges are distorted all around the image circle. And if you stop down, the area of distortion will be less.

I’ve seen that pattern on some of the Russian T/S lenses as well – they’re not as optically perfect as the “regular” Nikon and Canon T/S, and nowhere near what you’d expect from a good field camera with completely adjustable movements.

I know a couple of guys who use them.

But you’re probably right. I haven’t played with a Lensbaby 2.0 at all, and the first-gen stuff was very obviously a Lensbaby just by eyeballing it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s interesting about the Russian t/s–is that the Hartblei? And yeah, the original Lensbaby (which they still sell) was definitely more Holga-esque. Starting with v2.0 they put a better quality optic in there, and they used that same optic for the 3G (which I have). They redesigned their whole line fairly recently to make it more modular, so I think now you have a choice of the softer lens or the sharper one (or both) that you can swap out at will.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • The topic ‘06-30-10 – Rain, Rain, Go Away’ is closed to new replies.