07-02-08 – Mmmm Bokeh

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-02-08 – Mmmm Bokeh

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    corsec67
    Participant

http://www.bokehtests.com/Site/About_Bokeh.html
    A really good page about DoF, Bokeh, and the circle of confusion. The circle of confusion is what a point light in front of the lens gets rendered as on the image plane.

(Insert joke about “yep, this is making my head a circle of confusion”)

U-Man
    Participant

That 100mm macro lens should have really good bokeh, because it is almost impossible to get everything in focus when doing a true macro (1:1) shot with that kind of lens.

It also seems to make any bug move twice a fast, go in a different direction or simply fly away right before it is in focus. 🙂

Flavivirus
    Participant

Heh, I was just walking around Hong Kong (Mong Kok, the technology hub), and I found a Lensbaby 2.0 with telephoto + wideangle accessory lenses for a combined $40 canadian 😛 woo hoo. Macro + Shallow DOF + Lensbaby adjustment could be very very cool, but also very difficult.

staplermofo
    Participant

Heh, I was just walking around Hong Kong (Mong Kok, the technology hub), and I found a Lensbaby 2.0 with telephoto + wideangle accessory lenses for a combined $40 canadian 😛 woo hoo. Macro + Shallow DOF + Lensbaby adjustment could be very very cool, but also very difficult.

Do you deliver?

Flavivirus
    Participant

It was second hand, and, unfortunately, I doubt I will find such a deal again. A new lensbaby 2.0 here is about $1180 HKD, or about $120-130ish USD =/ Camera prices are only marginally cheaper in HK, unfortunately. If i find a steal like that i’d probably snatch it up and i’m sure someone in farktography wouldn’t mind covering the cost :

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve got the telephoto, wide angle, and macro add on lenses for my Lensbaby. They’re all very fun to use, but the macro added into the mix does make things interesting. As a side note, the telephoto and wide angle lenses can also be used on a camcorder for interesting effects.

soosh
    Participant

That 100mm macro lens should have really good bokeh, because it is almost impossible to get everything in focus when doing a true macro (1:1) shot with that kind of lens.

It also seems to make any bug move twice a fast, go in a different direction or simply fly away right before it is in focus. 🙂

I’ve got a 180 macro. Holy hell that thing can be frustrating.

staplermofo
    Participant

I have a 300mm “macro”. It won’t focus at all unless it’s uphill, in the snow, both ways.

soosh
    Participant

I use my 100-400 for macro sometime. I have to stand 40 feet away and jiggle my left leg.

(this is putting me in mind of that George Washington song)

Six Foot Twenty, Weighed a Fucking Ton

U-Man
    Participant

Never heard that before. That’s messed up in a beautiful way.

‘Hey man, I heard he has, like, 30……” 🙂

corsec67
    Participant

I have a 300mm “macro”. It won’t focus at all unless it’s uphill, in the snow, both ways.

And I can end this “my macro lens sucks” thing:

My 500 f/8 mirror lens has a “macro” mode. Gets down to 1/2.7x….
    At that point there is enough doughnuts to please a police department…

Here is an example…

soosh
    Participant

Never heard that before. That’s messed up in a beautiful way.

‘Hey man, I heard he has, like, 30……” 🙂

my spoon is too big

soosh
    Participant

this is my favorite extreme macro shot. 100mm macro with a 50mm prime reversed. These are the little globes on the underside of a sage leaf that hold the oils.

U-Man
    Participant

Soosh, now that is the kind of stuff that if I were to forward it to anyone I knew, they would say, “Where the HELL do you find this shit?”.

soosh
    Participant

Soosh, now that is the kind of stuff that if I were to forward it to anyone I knew, they would say, “Where the HELL do you find this shit?”.

dude’s a critically acclaimed film maker and one of my heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Hertzfeldt

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • The topic ‘07-02-08 – Mmmm Bokeh’ is closed to new replies.