07-11-12 – Carnival of the Animals

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-11-12 – Carnival of the Animals

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

Okay, it would suck among the voters; but just to qualify, if it’s called the “Wild Duck Cluster”, and I don’t see the duck, is it okay?

Looks more like a rabbit to me.

I see two 17th century Englishmen sipping tea.

lokisbong
    Participant

Okay, it would suck among the voters; but just to qualify, if it’s called the “Wild Duck Cluster”, and I don’t see the duck, is it okay?

I was mostly just glad not to see two hands in the image. lol.

I thought it was a great shot of a globular cluster but not very animal like. Probably would skip voting for that reason.

ravnostic
    Participant

I was mostly just glad not to see two hands in the image. lol.

I thought it was a great shot of a globular cluster but not very animal like. Probably would skip voting for that reason.

Was thinking more along the lines of the Horsehead Nebula or the constellation Scorpio, actually, just wondering if the concept is acceptable as ‘representation as animals’. Posted the WDC because I know I won’t be using it.

orionid
    Participant

I think horsehead should be fine, so long as you get it in one shot and aren’t stacking. It’s close enough that it falls under the abstraction angle I thought the whole theme was about to begin with. Scorpio…. well…. Do you want to leave that up to the voters?

fluffybunny
    Participant

So just to re-affirm I must ask,.. Viable, extinct, mythological and fictional are all OK? It seems like that’s the way many people are interpreting this just so long as it’s not the actual animal.

Yoyo
    Participant

I was considering taking a picture of a cattle crossing sign along a rural highway. You know, big yellow diamond, black border, black sillouhette of a cow. That’s one of my ideas. Stuffed animals were another thing that came to mind when I read this theme. I’m just saying.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think that’s stretching it given almost no one would see the shape of an animal in that star cluster.

orionid
    Participant

I think that’s stretching it given almost no one would see the shape of an animal in that star cluster.

I see a cosmic goat…… se.

Barracuda
    Participant

Headed out tonight to the Mustangs of Los Colinas sculpture to see if I can get a solid third for this contest. Seems I’ve taken a liking to the night photography bit lately, perhaps it’s because it’s getting to be 100+ degrees during the day?

Uranus
    Participant

are we counting bugs and fish as animals for this one?

Kestrana
    Participant

Yes theyre still Animalia

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

How far does the “no actual animals” ban extend? In particular, what about humans dressed as animals? (NOT furries!)

Kestrana
    Participant

I hope SilverStag checks in tomorrow to resolve some of these questions. To me, that would be within the spirit of the theme without actually being in the letter of the theme, i.e. I’d let the voters sort it out. But I’d like to hear others thoughts on that.

Yugoboy
    Participant

How far does the “no actual animals” ban extend? In particular, what about humans dressed as animals? (NOT furries!)

Not my theme, but I’d guess that’s gotta be OK… at least if the costume covers the human 100% – I’m thinking mascots and other similarly dressed humans. A girl in a Playboy bunny costume, while attractive and potentially vote getting, is probably outside the rules.

But… not my contest, so we’ll see what subby says.

ravnostic
    Participant

Based on previous SilverStag themes, I know he tends to err toward open-interpretation. I’d bet he’d say humans dressed as animals is within the spirit, but I also hope he’ll chime in before then to advise.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • The topic ‘07-11-12 – Carnival of the Animals’ is closed to new replies.