07-20-11 – Stairway to Heaven

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-20-11 – Stairway to Heaven

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    justkat
    Participant

Or a supermodel. 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol that too

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Some bees here.

Now that I’ve posted them, I’m wondering whether my pirate B&D shot would’ve appealed more to Fark’s prurient nature…

yrkddn
    Participant

So apparently fark no longer likes picasa. I can’t post any images from there at all. Here’s the message fark gives me:

Throwing away URL (insert url here) due to SSL warning: Peer hostname match with certificate not verified: 403 Forbidden

Guess I’m stuck with flickr now.

What? Error403?

clouddancer
    Participant

Some bees here.

Now that I’ve posted them, I’m wondering whether my pirate B&D shot would’ve appealed more to Fark’s prurient nature…

Haven’t heard of the word “prurient” before. I looked it up. Thanks for the vocab!

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Definitely try changing the URL’s for your photos from “https://” to “http://” and see if that works. There’s absolutely no reason to use SSL encryption for referencing publicly available images. I have no idea why Picassa would even suggest using them. In addition to the extra complexity, it takes more CPU on their servers and defeats caching. Weird…

U-Man
    Participant

Yeah. I was thinking ‘itchy’ (pruritis).

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Turns out you’re actually really close, U-Man. I just looked it up on dictionary.com to checks its etymology and:

Origin:
    1630?40; < Latin prÅ«rient– (stem of prÅ«riÄ“ns), present participle of prÅ«rÄ«re to itch

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol I love the word prurient. Also, its origins may be referencing…social diseases, hence the association with unseemly stuff 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Well, well, well, look at the new bibliostats. So far, I am only completely impressed. I’m sure that will progress to blown away after I look at it more. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

CISS

What does “NVC” mean?
    The Bibliostats vote totals are slightly different than the FSM totals.
    Are you looking at having the photos clicky-pop to larger size in the future?

This is really, really nice work. You should set up a PayPal thing so we can send you a few bucks – then you can take your wife out for dinner! I, for one, would not interpret a PayPal donation request in any negative sort of way.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Scarlet R: jtips’ entry was previously used in Artistic Bent

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

U-Man, please see this post for the definition of NVC (swampa had the same question). Eventually that’ll make it to a tool tip and FAQ page. Earlier in that same thread I also discussed possible reasons for what should be only slightly different vote totals.

Clicking to popup an original size version and linking to the entry in the Fark thread are both on the agenda.

And thank you! I’ll try to put up a PP donation button eventually, perhaps when I’ve got the navigation all tied together.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got the Scarlet R, thanks, CISS

soosh
    Participant

doesn’t MaudlinMutantMollusk‘s entry of 2011-07-20 09:55:58 PM, the stairs at the Bret Harte Hotel, violate the frame rule?

I love the shot and voted for it, and then just really noticed the frame.

One of these days I’m going to remember to use this shot in a contest like this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • The topic ‘07-20-11 – Stairway to Heaven’ is closed to new replies.