07-20-11 – Stairway to Heaven

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-20-11 – Stairway to Heaven

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

What, exactly, is the frame rule? I’m not seeing an issue with the shot…

soosh
    Participant

What, exactly, is the frame rule? I’m not seeing an issue with the shot…

generally, only a plain black outline of a few pixels is allowed as far as framing your image in software. Addition of picture frames or other adornments isn’t allowed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

doesn’t MaudlinMutantMollusk‘s entry of 2011-07-20 09:55:58 PM, the stairs at the Bret Harte Hotel, violate the frame rule?

I love the shot and voted for it, and then just really noticed the frame.

I had noticed it and thought about saying something, but the poster appears to be a newbie and probably just isn’t familiar enough with the rules. Also, when the rules were overhauled in 2008, the specific mention of frames/borders was left on the cutting room floor, so I’m not sure we can say much about it at this point unless we amend the rules. It doesn’t come up too often, though.

olavf
    Participant

I wouldn’t nix the post, but maybe ask that people refrain from doing it in the future?

U-Man
    Participant

Huh. I didn’t notice that wasn’t a rule anymore. I think the essence of the rule is in keeping with the spirit of farktography. The 3 or 4 px limit was a bit restrictive, but the faux wood frame used by MMM is too much. I agree with olavf that we shouldn’t nix the post. But I think we should discuss this a bit.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah until I went looking this evening, I’d missed that it was no longer in the rules myself. I do think the frame in question is too much for Farktography since it looks like a cut/paste into an existing frame picture.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I agree the Photoshop frame WAY to much, but also agree not to nix it on this instance. I use outer borders but limit their size to under 5% of the pixels, which I think it a pretty good guideline. It gives a photo the impression of a print without detracting from the content or, as in this case, adding to the content.

Kestrana
    Participant

It didn’t bother me but I’m not opposed to a constitutional amendment banning artistic borders.

orionid
    Participant

So long as we don’t come down too hard on frames. I usually use PS’s “border” function, which makes a taper in from the outer edge, first with white, then smaller with black. That way, whatever the content of the image or background of the website, I get a good, solid contrast.

Like So

Also, I can’t remember who or find an example, but I recall someone integrating a watermark into a floating border, sort of like Wrayvynn‘s watermark except the line went all the way around like a floating border. And seriously, I’d be perfectly okay with that, too. But I do agree that the cut-and-paste frame is too much (leave this one stand this week), as would be any of the walmart.com “artsy” frames and the like. You know, balloons and crap.

lokisbong
    Participant

I am in agreement with every one else here. Leave the funky border this time but not in the future. A small border around a picture is cool but that one this week is way too much.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Ranger Joe/Cameraflage this week!

I’ll work on getting language together for re-affirming the frame/border rule.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • The topic ‘07-20-11 – Stairway to Heaven’ is closed to new replies.