08-08-07 – Abandon All Hope

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-08-07 – Abandon All Hope

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

If you put the addy into your post, the site will turn it into a link as long as it starts with http:// Just use the addy for the page the picture is on at Flickr

swampa
    Participant

use [ img ]url of image here[ /img ] (without spaces inside the brackets) to put up the images if you don’t want to link to flickr.

SilverStag
    Participant

Wow…looks like big participation and voting goodness this week!

DANG! Loads of excellent submissions this week! Tough voting for the best of the best.

BTW: At the risk of sounding like a complete tool, in this photo

3/3: Glastonbury Abbey, England

submitted by pjabbott, there is a person in the image.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I checked that shot and didn’t see any–if there is, I think it’s inconsiquentially (is that a word?) small enough that it isn’t playing a role in the composition. There have been a few others posted that were more obvious/blatant, though, but they’re gone now.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

btw, I forgot to add this:

Wow…looks like big participation and voting goodness this week!

Uhhh yeah…I think I went to bed at 1am or so, and when I checked the thread this morning at 8:45, there were 117 new posts–wow, great turnout and great photos everyone!

QuickSilver
    Participant

I know that I probably shouldn’t say anything but I must. There must be a rather thin line between “Abandoned and Ruins” Most seemed to follow the definition and I specifically avoided things that could be considered as trash and so completely devoid of structure to beg the question “What was left to Abandon”?
    Just my 2? worth.
    /Shakes head in wonderment
    //contemplates navel

boringolddoug
    Participant
    QuickSilver wrote:
    I know that I probably shouldnI agree. But don’t forget that some are in that condition because they were abandoned.
    QuickSilver
    Participant

I know that I probably shouldnI agree. But don’t forget that some are in that condition because they were abandoned.

The point about ruins that I was making Doug was that for the most part a pile of building materials does not an abandoned place make. Secondly The famous ruins are far from abandoned. They see more tourist traffic than my local post office. 😆

QuickSilver
    Participant

I’d say cars are ok, cause they’re of a pretty substantial size, but I wouldn’t want to say just any object and get a bunch of pictures of just random trash. A picture of an abandoned car can set the tone of an abandoned place, though.

How is a Barbie Doll lying in a pile of rubble or a childs push cart in some brush ” SUBSTANTIAL SIZE” not to be random trash?
    Please excuse my venting.

staplermofo
    Participant

How is a Barbie Doll lying in a pile of rubble or a childs push cart in some brush ” SUBSTANTIAL SIZE” not to be random trash?
    Please excuse my venting.

Every farktography contest someone doesn’t post a picture of a wang in a bowl of skittles I consider a wonderful success.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

meh, it’s Fark. Most of the time blatantly off-theme entries get removed. Some fall through the cracks and some get left there on an (albeit subjective) judgement call. But in the end, it’s not like there are fabulous prizes involved or anything.

QuickSilver
    Participant

meh, it’s Fark. Most of the time blatantly off-theme entries get removed. Some fall through the cracks and some get left there on an (albeit subjective) judgement call. But in the end, it’s not like there are fabulous prizes involved or anything.

I know but Barbie in the garbage doesn’t belong with your two shots of urban abandonment or some of the other fine shots this week.
    I am through bitching now. Thank you very much!

boringolddoug
    Participant

On the other hand, with the quality of the leaders’ shots, I am almost ashamed to get a vote at all.

I is impressed, I is.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Quick Silver: Well thanks (seriously), but I’m not too concerned for my own photos. None of the other photos in the thread make mine any more or less anything, and I’m pretty satisfied with them on their own merits, especially since they were last minute attempts at something. The entries that are leading this week are truly awesome and capture the theme perfectly (IMO).

The other challenge that comes up with removing off-topic photos is that it’s harder to pull them the longer they stay up (like when they get missed early in the contest). If an entry has been in the contest for 12 hours or whatever and it has 15 or 20 votes, then it’s not really fair to pull it (unless it clearly violates posting rules or something), cause then it kind of looks like it’s pulled because of the votes it’s got or because it’s beating someone else’s entry, mods just didn’t like them or whatever. Hard to explain, but it’s a fine line to tread.

Regardless, I really liked your abandoned school and farmhouse shots (they got votes from me this week). There’s something sort of magical about the abandoned school, particularly.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • The topic ‘08-08-07 – Abandon All Hope’ is closed to new replies.