08-25-10 – The Book of Armaments

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-25-10 – The Book of Armaments

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

My friends and relatives say I’m not allowed to give copies of this to their kids any more.

I’ve heard about that book. Is it actually any good? What ages does it target?

orionid
    Participant

Ha! How’s a boy supposed to learn his science if there aren’t a few fires or explosions involved?

The guy who writes the column is named L. Paul Verhage. I found links to a PDF book he wrote and several older N&V columns on the Parallax website here: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/567/Default.aspx

He’s also got several videos of space launches on YouTube. Here’s one of his earlier ones that goes to 85K: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPhXCxYEKA0

The only thing about this is that I think you need LOTS of wide open space (he does a lot of his launches in Kansas and Idaho, I think). There are also a few FAA rules that I don’t remember exactly (weight limits, distances from commercial air traffic, stuff like that). But it does sound like fun stuff to play with, doesn’t it?

If nothing else, you could get some pointers from his articles about how he tracks his payloads so you don’t end up losing another camera. 😉

His site might be one of the first ones I saw. Like I said, there was alot of high dollar stuff. Some of the more recent budget-oriented things seem to be based around styrofoam beer-coolers and duct tape. The budget ones also use cheaper ($15-40) neoprene ballons vice the several-hundred buck multi-layered, fiber-reinforced plastics, at a sacrifice of 50-80K feet vice 90-150K feet. ‘Cause we all need to send a camera to an altitude of 28 miles.

Also, AFAIK, any payload under 4 pounds, but over 2000 feet, FAA notification is required, but waiver application is not. And I think Wyoming U has an internet calculator based on real-time weather patterns to predict flight pattern and landing area based on weight, balloon size/helium load, material, and parachute size.

lokisbong
    Participant

Your friends and relatives should grow a pair. In my opinion. That book looks like it kicks ass! as soon as I find a new job I am gonna get that and share it with my nephew whether his mom likes it or not

orionid
    Participant

My friends and relatives say I’m not allowed to give copies of this to their kids any more.

From what I’ve seen flipping through it’s pages at the big-box book stores, most of the stuff in there is also in this book, it just offers more devious uses for the info.

ravnostic
    Participant

At the tender age of 40, I got a copy of that book as a gift. It has useful info for kids, but at 40, I’d already learnt and dunt most of it.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Some of the more recent budget-oriented things seem to be based around styrofoam beer-coolers and duct tape.
    Yeah, I think he’s working with several high-school science classes now, so budget is probably a big factor.

‘Cause we all need to send a camera to an altitude of 28 miles.
    But, but, … Are you saying we don’t? 🙁

Buncha facts & figures…
    Sounds like you’ve done a bit more research into it than I! I’ve just read the articles and mentally added it to my “to play with later” file. 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

Your friends and relatives should grow a pair. In my opinion. That book looks like it kicks ass!

I happen to agree. I believe that it is important for people to learn (perhaps painfully if necessary) that the world is not a safe place, and there’s only one person you can really trust for your own safety…

lokisbong
    Participant

Your friends and relatives should grow a pair. In my opinion. That book looks like it kicks ass!

I happen to agree. I believe that it is important for people to learn (perhaps painfully if necessary) that the world is not a safe place, and there’s only one person you can really trust for your own safety…

Exactly my point. If we Nerf the world how will we keep the population in check. The best way to learn is from our mistakes if they don’t outright kill us.

orionid
    Participant

This website, http://www.byonics.com, is where the near space guy got his tracking device. They have kits for $33 or $98 with GPS. I’m not sure what equipment you need to receive the signal, though, so that would also be another added cost.

Interesting stuff. And I had been thinking abou using ham-band transmitters with an embedded gps signal, but hadn’t gotten to that level of enginerding yet.

orionid
    Participant

Also, I think we just set a record for longest post-theme threadjack.

caradoc
    Participant

If we Nerf the world how will we keep the population in check. The best way to learn is from our mistakes if they don’t outright kill us.

I say we just remove all of the warning labels and let natural selection run its course.

Poe’s Theorem of Evolution: “Natural selection has been supplanted by science and/or technology such that now we have persons in positions of authority and/or responsibility who are so stupid that merely two hundred years ago they would have been eaten by something whilst on their way to the outhouse.”

caradoc
    Participant

Also, I think we just set a record for longest post-theme threadjack.

If it’s post-theme, is it really a threadjack?

lokisbong
    Participant

If we Nerf the world how will we keep the population in check. The best way to learn is from our mistakes if they don’t outright kill us.

I say we just remove all of the warning labels and let natural selection run its course.

Poe’s Theorem of Evolution: “Natural selection has been supplanted by science and/or technology such that now we have persons in positions of authority and/or responsibility who are so stupid that merely two hundred years ago they would have been eaten by something whilst on their way to the outhouse.”

I’m using Poe’s theorem on facebook today.

orionid
    Participant

I’m using Poe’s theorem on facebook today.

Likewise.

orionid
    Participant

Other than a 45,000 foot barometric ceiling, and the price tag, this would be perfect for balloon photos. It’s got radio and audio tracking, GPS, real-time telemetry data, and dual parachute deployment.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/Altus_Metrum_GPS.asp

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 174 total)
  • The topic ‘08-25-10 – The Book of Armaments’ is closed to new replies.