08-27-08 – Panoramics

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-27-08 – Panoramics

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Dang, I just remembered some shots I took to make a Pano…that would look better then then Fuji thing.

If I could stitch it all together before midnight would it be against the rules to replace it?

You can’t replace it in the original post, but I can delete the original for you and you can post a new entry.

Killerclaw
    Participant

Dang, I just remembered some shots I took to make a Pano…that would look better then then Fuji thing.

If I could stitch it all together before midnight would it be against the rules to replace it?

You can’t replace it in the original post, but I can delete the original for you and you can post a new entry.

As long as it’s not considered poor sportsmanship 😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nah, as long as voting hasn’t started, you’re fine.

Killerclaw
    Participant

Added my new one, you can delete the Fuji one.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got it

corsec67
    Participant

This is what that parking garage looks like in a slightly more “normal” panorama, but the 360 degree view makes it very warped.

I nominate this theme for an “Instant Classic”, since it is the second time I remember a “stitching” theme.

U-Man
    Participant

Man, frickin’ five hour board meetings after work suck. Especially when you forget your laptop at home so you can’t post early during the blah-blah at the metting. Whah-whah. Boo-hoo.

This is a cool theme. My Peoria, Il shot is the third panoramic I have ever stitched. Personally, I’m pretty happy with it. I have been pleasantly surprised at at how relatively easy it is to get decent results. I agree with corsec67, I’d like to see this one again in a year or so. I can picture certain settings that a pano is the only way to capture the feeling. Man, I wish I had done some of this before I encountered the rainbow in my other post. As you can tell, it is simply a skinny crop of a wide angle shot (10mm with a 1.6X mag due to the DLSR sensor). I have some others that you’ll see sometime that I shot from on top of my Jeep Cherokee – so I could get over the damn 8 foot tall corn – that would have been really nice as a pano. I could barely get the scene in with the 10 mm. On the other hand, I was fighting time as the sun was setting and all of the delicious light was fading. I don’t know if I would have taken the time to set it up.

Anyway. Cool theme. Good ideas to try out for myself. Continued growth.

/Oh, by the way, during that 10 or 15 minutes I had to photograph that rainbow, my 20-month-old was in the back seat. I had taken her with me to get her out of my wife’s hair while I played photographer. I’m pretty sure she thought it was strange that Daddy was standing on top of the car. 🙂

soosh
    Participant

Is anyone else’s image host taking a beating tonight, or am I just lucky?

U-Man
    Participant

Here’s one I did just last night. I didn’t think it was good enough to post, but I’ll show it to y’all.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/fark/Warehouse-bandw-big.jpg

soosh
    Participant

that’s really cool. What are you using to stitch them? I tried doing a large pano of the glacier earlier today, but I didn’t think to set the exposure to manual, so there was a lot of variance in the shot.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I see your shots, don’t think they’ve disappeared.

jekxrb
    Participant

Your photos are just unbelievably gorgeous this week (as usual)! Although it doesn’t seem to be the popular choice, I actually think I like your “favourite camping spot” one better than the “rainbow” one. But they should give Flavivirus a run for his money, IMO.

lokisbong
    Participant

Ok I tried autostitch and I think its pretty good.I still don’t much like the stitching on the one full panoramic picture I’ve done but now I think my tripod wasn’t level or something. Should I actually get so picky I carry a small spirit level?
    I was going to show you all my sorta crappy stitched picture but Imageshack is giving me no such upload. Every time I try it goes to a blank page with this url thingy http://www.imageshack.us/index.php? Even uploading a pic that is only 640 by 166? 😕

U-Man
    Participant

that’s really cool. What are you using to stitch them? I tried doing a large pano of the glacier earlier today, but I didn’t think to set the exposure to manual, so there was a lot of variance in the shot.

If you’re referring to me, Photoshops CS2. While I usually remembered to set exposure manually, I think I need to have more overlap of the frames when I try this out in the future. It just seemed like a good idea to squeeze as much as possible out of each frame and then try to put them together. I might try that loooong building again with more frames so that I avoid the sharp angles.

Does that sound reasonable to the more experienced out there?

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

In northern California one of the impressive, but fairly common, sights is a bank of clouds spilling over a line of mountain peaks. And I thought people would post some of them for this contest, since they lend themselves to a long thin crop. But so far I don’t see one, so I thought I’d at least post the one I cropped out of a shot here for those of you that don’t get to see things like these clouds in your area.

Maybe it’s a west coast thing? I don’t know… But I know when I lived in the Washington DC area I never saw clouds at ground level unless it was impenetrable fog.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • The topic ‘08-27-08 – Panoramics’ is closed to new replies.