09-02-09 – Colour Popping

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-02-09 – Colour Popping

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Take the colour out of image then return the colour back to selected parts.

swampa has honoured us with this theme–thanks, man!

U-Man
    Participant
    GregScott
    Participant

Is this the same as selectively desaturating a photo, or similar technique, or is it more a topic regarding hand-coloring particular portions of a photo?

justkat
    Participant

Hooray for not being an attack site anymore! Now to start working on this challenge, because it WILL take me that long. 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

Is it okay if I pick out the picture I want it done to and Hubby does the color pop thing for me? He did it already on one picture that turned out really cool. He actually took the time, made a copy black and white and then selectively cut out the color part and pasted it or did some layer thing. He’s way more familiar with that whole thing, can ya tell? I guess I’m asking if it’s okay for him to do that part so long as I’m the one who took the picture? This is the picture scaled down:

ennuipoet
    Participant

O’Hai Farktographers! As a a Photoshoppers and Newbian Farktographer, I just wanted to pop in and give the quickest easiest method for color popping your pics. This works in any image editor supporting layers.

Step 1: Open your original image
    Step 2: Duplicate that Layer
    Step 3: Desaturate the duplicate layer.
    Step 4: Erase from the duplicated layer (I use layer masking but the erase tool works just as well) revealing the color layer beneath. Using the finer brushes of the eraser/paintbrush you can reveal as much or as a little of an area as you wish.
    Step 5: ?
    Step 6: Profit

/For many of you, this is old information, but I wanted to post it for anyone who doesn’t waste endless hours photoshopping The Paint Huffer into other people’s photos.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting that, ennuipoet 🙂

clouddancer: I don’t see a problem with that as long as you took the photo, but we should probably get a consensus from people. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

lokisbong
    Participant

Thanks for posting that, ennuipoet 🙂

clouddancer: I don’t see a problem with that as long as you took the photo, but we should probably get a consensus from people. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

I am just fine with your husband doing the shooping if you took the picture clouddancer.

I think its fairly easy but I wish I had one of those Wacom? thingies using my mouse is almost painful by the time I get done erasing the parts I want in color. the tutorial for gimp that was in the themes discussion about this was a great help and said pretty much exactly what ennuipoet said .

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Also, if you want accuracy (at the expense of time) you can zoom in before editing. It’s much easier to get finer control that way. But the more you zoom, the more time it takes. So you might want to reserve that tedious level of detail for just the edges of the parts you want to separate.

swampa
    Participant

U-Man – I don’t think the eHow article does it (either that or I messed up the instructions) and not sure about the associated content article (I couldn’t find what I was meant to select in step 1 and the images seem to be missing).

GregScott – You could do it by selectively desaturating the parts of the image that aren’t being kept as coloured, but that might take longer than the other ways mentioned and may give you an uneven look to the desaturated areas.

harpo
    Participant

Thanks for the easy-to-follow steps ennuipoet. I have a dumb question for you though. I not much of a shooper at all so bear with me. Using gimp I did steps 1-3 no problem. I can switch between the 2 layers and see both the color and b&w version. But when I erase from the desaturated duplicate layer it just leaves white spots – it doesn’t reveal the color version underneath. I’m sure I could google the answer but I figured I’d just ask the experts.

linguine
    Participant

Thanks for the easy-to-follow steps ennuipoet. I have a dumb question for you though. I not much of a shooper at all so bear with me. Using gimp I did steps 1-3 no problem. I can switch between the 2 layers and see both the color and b&w version. But when I erase from the desaturated duplicate layer it just leaves white spots – it doesn’t reveal the color version underneath. I’m sure I could google the answer but I figured I’d just ask the experts.

You need to set the top layer to transparent. When you open a new layer at the bottom of the new layer dialogue it asks you layer fill type and has 4 options, just make sure that transparency is the selected option.

clouddancer
    Participant

Is this one particular color available throughout the entire image, or is it color to one thing in the image? Because I can see both and the “selected parts” of the instructions above now are making me wonder.

lokisbong
    Participant

I believe it is color to selected object/s but I could be wrong.

harpo
    Participant

Thanks linguine – I ended up with some pretty good results I think. My problem was – just like with AutoCAD – there’s 5 different ways to do everything in gimp. I had duplicated the original layer so it never gave me the option to add transparency like it would if I created a new layer. And there’s no obvious “make transparent” command. It turns out “add alpha channel” was what I needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘09-02-09 – Colour Popping’ is closed to new replies.