09-02-09 – Colour Popping

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-02-09 – Colour Popping

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant
    sleeping
    Participant

This one works. Easy-peasy.

http://www.digital-photography-tips.net/wedding-photography.html

That’s basically how I did it, but a black and white or channel mixer adjustment layer will allow you to get a *much* better black and white conversion than simply desaturating.

Also I would never flatten adjustment layers in your original, you can’t get them back and make adjustments later if you do that…

mopsy
    Participant

I finally got a successful color popping photo. Question: Can we use a previously entered photo that has been transformed into a color popped photo. And likewise, for soosh’s “hootennany theme” can we use previously entered photos. They have such a different appearance that my vote would be to allow it. But I leave it to the rest of you to give the guidelines.

U-Man
    Participant

….but a black and white or channel mixer adjustment layer will allow you to get a *much* better black and white conversion than simply desaturating.

I don’t know PS well enough. Is this really, really true? What is so much better about it? For B&W in the past, I just desaturate and then mess with contrast/brightness/unsharp mask.

I’m very interested in learning a better way.

olavf
    Participant

Well, I got one done any way. I need to choose easier pics. Two hours with the eraser and another two hours letting my eyes recover from the strain yesterday. Yeesh.

linguine
    Participant

I finally got a successful color popping photo. Question: Can we use a previously entered photo that has been transformed into a color popped photo. And likewise, for soosh’s “hootennany theme” can we use previously entered photos. They have such a different appearance that my vote would be to allow it. But I leave it to the rest of you to give the guidelines.

I know we can’t use repeat images for the hootennany so I’m assuming we have to use new images for this contest as well.

sleeping
    Participant

I don’t know PS well enough. Is this really, really true? What is so much better about it? For B&W in the past, I just desaturate and then mess with contrast/brightness/unsharp mask.

I’m very interested in learning a better way.

It does depend somewhat on the original image, but frequently, yes – it can make a huge difference.

Both the black and white and channel mixer tools allow you to adjust the relative intensity of different colors from the original image (e.g. to make blues darker and reds and yellows brighter), in the same way people used to do with color filters and black and white film.

I usually use the Black and White tool as an adjustment layer because it gives you some handy presets to start with.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I know we can’t use repeat images for the hootennany so I’m assuming we have to use new images for this contest as well.

This. No repeats for either contest.

mopsy
    Participant

This. No repeats for either contest.

Bummer! But that’s okay. I’ve managed to find several others that work well.

U-Man
    Participant

I usually use the Black and White tool as an adjustment layer because it gives you some handy presets to start with.

That is cool. Thanks for doing those three examples. That made it really clear.

/Picture = 1000 words.
    //must go try it out now.

lokisbong
    Participant

That is cool. Thanks for doing those three examples. That made it really clear.

/Picture = 1000 words.
    //must go try it out now.

I also would like to say thanks for the examples. That is a very good way to learn something in my case.

nutkick_42
    Participant

Quick question: Would this be kosher or would it get deleted/ earn me a vacation?

corsec67
    Participant

What about if I did the opposite of color popping, like if I made the person in the middle of the picture B&W, and left the rest of the picture color?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

nutkick_42: Yeah, poop isn’t kosher on Fark. But I’m giggling over the fact that you did some color pooping for your color popping. Ok, so I have the maturity of an 8 year old sometimes 😉

corsec67: I was initially going to say that that’s the opposite of what the theme description says, but the way it’s worded, I would think that would follow the letter of the description, even if that wasn’t what swampa really intended. swampa: What say you?

linguine
    Participant

What about if I did the opposite of color popping, like if I made the person in the middle of the picture B&W, and left the rest of the picture color?

I did one sort of like that too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘09-02-09 – Colour Popping’ is closed to new replies.