09-02-09 – Colour Popping

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-02-09 – Colour Popping

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    swampa
    Participant

swampa: What say you?

I do declare that it should be fine! (yes, not exactly what the topic says but the principle is the same just reversed)

/If you have just selected the object and desaturated that, I’m deducting points!
    //The power! It is overwhelming 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol! Good deal, then.

And actually, I’ve done something like that myself now that I think about it…it actually turned out a little creepy.

corsec67
    Participant

I have an entry that can go both ways; I can just invert the layer mask on the “make B&W” layer, and it is still an interesting picture. (Too bad “interesting to me” and “worthy of votes” are almost opposite.)

justkat
    Participant

I have this picture of a black berry bramble where all the berries are green except one. Bad choice for this contest

hahahahaha

But I’ve been having lots of fun, doing tons of these things and so i’ll just end up on wednesday having to choose which are my favorites.

kashari
    Participant

Are we allowed to use filters, like a white neutralizer?

This question actually applies to the contests in general. I see in the rules it states ‘no artistic painting, drawing’ kinds of filters, but what about ones like Neutral Density, or Glamour Glow, that are found in Color Efex?

kashari
    Participant

Another question; say you have someone horseback riding with other stuff in the background. Do you want only the horse or the person to be ‘the object’ or can they be color-popped together?

linguine
    Participant

Another question; say you have someone horseback riding with other stuff in the background. Do you want only the horse or the person to be ‘the object’ or can they be color-popped together?

I think doing either or both would be fine. As for your earlier question I’ll give other people a chance to jump in about that since I don’t know what all of those filters do.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I think I’d have to see examples of what they do to know if they’d be kosher or not.

swampa
    Participant

There is no limit on what the objects or how many objects are coloured. It is up to you to choose what objects you think take advantage of the rest of the scene being black and white – or the inverse if you decide that route (if it is a white horse then returning colour to that may not make much of a difference for example).

sleeping
    Participant

Are we allowed to use filters, like a white neutralizer?

Yes, color correction is kosher.

Neutral Density

You mean Graduated Neutral Density? I would think so.

Glamour Glow

This one is probably over the line?

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php?view=intro/cep3_filters.shtml

kashari
    Participant

Thanks for your replies! Elsinore, the link above has examples when you mouse over the filter name. Sleeping, yes that is what I meant, thanks!

As for the filters, so the ones that are related to lighting (inc Darken/Lighten Center?), contrast, tone, saturation, etc., would be ok?

I probably wouldn’t use the more stylized filters like that Glamour Glow or Midnight for a Fark contest, but just wondered where the lines were drawn in case I wanted to use one lightly or on a portion of the picture. I want to make sure I don’t forget and accidentally use one I shouldn’t.

corsec67
    Participant

I probably wouldn’t use the more stylized filters like that Glamour Glow or Midnight for a Fark contest, but just wondered where the lines were drawn in case I wanted to use one lightly or on a portion of the picture.

That would actually cross the line.

Except for a few contests, like this and the fake tilt-shift contest, any changes generally have to be applied across the entire picture.

If you really want to use those kinds of effect filters, you could get an actual glass filter and use that, that would always be acceptable.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What corsec67 said is generally true. When we did the rules update last year, spot corrections like dodging/burning and light retouching (e.g. of blemishes, not of removing whole elements out of a picture) were allowed. However, I think that the more stylized filter stuff and using those filters in a spot format on a picture would be going too far for Farktography. The emphasis is more on image correction where needed and less on post-processing itself. We’re more concerned with what you can do with your camera, and not so much what you can do with your software.

Curious
    Participant

well i just did one and it looked a lot better in my head.

may not have time for this but is it within the rules to use opacity as you move toward the outer edges? in other words i want the center to really pop and the object border less so. the complete object will still pop from the background.

millera9
    Participant

Just wanted to quickly say thank you to ennuipoet and U-Man for the process descriptions! Finally got around to editing my two entries last night and it was much easier and faster because I had those walk-throughs. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘09-02-09 – Colour Popping’ is closed to new replies.