09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

olavf: Interesting, and good to know about the ampersand

Uranus: That looks like something on Flickr’s end. It’s still showing up in the thread for me, but the image box say it isn’t available.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Sounds like the internet is almost full…

Ah, but surely there is room just one little file…it is only wafer thin!

Kestrana
    Participant

Thanks Kestrana, don’t want to get too off topic but I’m rather new to photography. The name is a only on fark because I forgot the password to my old one. I think my B&W lack contrast, but I will keep trying. I like the idea of a weekly challenge to try new things.

Please feel free to ask questions/comments, start threads, etc! We are here to help and commiserate. And we’ve all been where you are, just starting out as photographers. My first Farktography contest was embarrassing to say the least.

U-Man
    Participant

…but I’m rather new to photography….but I will keep trying….I like the idea of a weekly challenge to try new things.

We all started there. If you stick around, you’ll find that this is a great place to grow up. Supportive, challenging, fun etc. There are some smart folks here. And while we are all a bit insane about the photos, we also realize that we’re amateurs and can continue learning.

Welcome.

olavf
    Participant

iwanttoeatyourchildren I think I got something like three votes for my first contest back. And those were from me 😛

So, welcome, and don’t be shy. It’s all about growing and learning and pushing one’s boundaries around here.

Oh, and good people, too.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to ravnostic this week!

ravnostic
    Participant

Yay!! 😀

Funny thing about the winning picture–it was the ‘last minute, last ditch’ entry, a throw-away from my ‘Sports Photography’ photo shoot. I posted it to G+ and quite a few in the ‘photo critique’ circle gave it raves (ravs?) My personal opinion was it was just ‘meah’. But I figured if they all liked it, maybe the fark voters would, too.

Now if someone can just explain to me just what everyone sees in it that I don’t, maybe I could improve my averages on a more consistent basis… 🙂

Not-funny thing about the spoon with a fork shadow: except for converting to b/w and resizing, there was –zero– post processing done. I took pictures till I got it ‘right’, straight out of the camera. Took a little more time, but I think it was a good learning process/subject.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Yay!! 😀

Funny thing about the winning picture–it was the ‘last minute, last ditch’ entry, a throw-away from my ‘Sports Photography’ photo shoot….My personal opinion was it was just ‘meah’. But I figured if they all liked it, maybe the fark voters would, too.

Now if someone can just explain to me just what everyone sees in it that I don’t, maybe I could improve my averages on a more consistent basis… 🙂

First of Congrats, you entry is stunning.

Secondly, my only win was also a last minute throw in from an archive dive, don’t overthink it, just be happy with the win.

justkat
    Participant

Well I got hit hard by the stupid tax this week. Too bad, I liked a couple of my pix. =P

bender16v
    Participant

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I do have some questions, but I will start a new topic for those.

Farktographer
    Participant

Well I got hit hard by the stupid tax this week. Too bad, I liked a couple of my pix. =P

Ditto to this, haha.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Just getting caught back up, so this is a little late, but congrats to rav on firsts in both single and combined. Here are this week’s SQ top ten lists:

By votes:

Rank  Username        Votes
    ----

1 U-Man 885
    2 ravnostic 768
    3 kestrana 692
    4 Ranger Joe 650
    5 orionid 643
    6 olavf 551
    7 SilverStag 551
    8 Ennuipoet 548
    9 BecauseISaidSo 544
    10 oddmind 516

By NVC:

Rank  Username           NVC
    ----

1 U-Man 488.87
    2 ravnostic 424.80
    3 kestrana 376.31
    4 orionid 366.38
    5 Ranger Joe 363.60
    6 BecauseISaidSo 313.24
    7 SilverStag 303.21
    8 olavf 299.55
    9 Ennuipoet 295.38
    10 oddmind 283.01

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Followup: I pinged Mike on FB and he agrees the ampersand is probably the likely culprit.

I would agree with that as well. I saw a similar issue with another user’s entry a few weeks ago. The problem is that Fark is rendering the link by HTML-encoding it. My browser seemed to handle it OK, but my scraper failed to pull it back. Fark’s ping-the-link-to-make-sure-it’s-good checker thingy may have a similar problem with such links.

What I mean by “HTML-encoding it” is that Fark substitutes the ampersand in the link for its HTML entity value so “&” becomes “&”. I fixed it in my parser by decoding links before trying to pull images.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

For those of you who aren’t facebook friends – check this shiat out. I copied my last status about the $3000 musky I caught today. 🙁

I know it’s just “stuff” and stuff can be replaced, but on the cosmic Bell curve of Things That Suck, that’s still pushing heavily into the positive tail. Sorry, man. I know that sinking feeling well. It’s that moment when you realize that circumstances and a momentary lapse in attention have teamed up to bitch-slap you and you wanna cry out to the cosmic arbiter that it’s not fair but of course immediately realize that there is no arbiter of fairness and you can’t even get relief by being mad at someone else ’cause it’s your fault. Yeah, been there, done that. 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3’ is closed to new replies.