09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Like I said on FB Oh My God U-Man. Sickening.

And welcome Iwanttoeatyourchildren to the forums, I christen you Iw2eyc because your name is long.

bender16v
    Participant

Thanks Kestrana, don’t want to get too off topic but I’m rather new to photography. The name is a only on fark because I forgot the password to my old one. I think my B&W lack contrast, but I will keep trying. I like the idea of a weekly challenge to try new things.

orionid
    Participant

Ok, so U-Man, I’ve been trying to figure out your Children of the Corn lighting. I’m guessing you had a flash, but I can see sky with clouds above part of the corn, but other parts look flat black?

This was taken a few years back…

I had a flash and silver umbrella high (10 feet?) at 12 o’clock. It was afternoon so the flash acted as key but there was plenty of ambient. I processed it using the sliders in Photoshop’s Black & White tool.

Sweet. I’m getting better at analyzing others’ lighting, at least. Even if I’m not reproducing it yet. I had you pegged as either afternoon or morning sun with a diffused flash above, behind, and slightly camera right. I was also leaning towards an orange-ish filter equivalent with your sliders based on black sky, near-white corn, and mid-range boots (assuming they were brown to begin with).

Also: Yoyo, do you mind if I ask what you do for the Army? Your byline has me curious. Media Relations? Combat Photography? Just a guy with a camera and an unofficial official role (like I did in the navy)?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol no worries about staying on topic here 😉 Welcome aboard 🙂

orionid
    Participant

lol no worries about staying on topic here 😉

My bad. And welcome, IW2EYC.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Thanks Kestrana, don’t want to get too off topic but I’m rather new to photography. The name is a only on fark because I forgot the password to my old one. I think my B&W lack contrast, but I will keep trying. I like the idea of a weekly challenge to try new things.

Hey, nothing wrong with that-I was a total noob when I joined up here, and now look at me! I’m a slightly more competent noob! In short: welcome, we’re glad to have you.

justkat
    Participant

Elsinore – did you miss my post on the last page? Help, please!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That was actually directed at IW2EYC. You and I practically had a simulpost, but you slipped in right before me, so my meaning got lost. I just meant IW2EYC didn’t have to worry about drifting off topic here in these forums as opposed to the contest threads on Fark.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore – did you miss my post on the last page? Help, please!

Yikes, apparently I did–I’m sorry! I’ve been gone most of the evening and only had a chance to skim things earlier. Going looking for your photos now…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, photos are restored. I really have no explanation for why they would drop like that, especially when Olav’s didn’t. File sizes are fine, so I’m really scratching my head.

olavf
    Participant

Me too. They’re both literally hosted on the same server, just in different directories. The first thing I had her do was double check the file-sized the first time.

I just had a thought – she has an ampersand in her directory name. I don’t know if that would confuse Fark now and then? I’ve never tried that before – I avoid anything but dashes and underscores like the plague.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that.

orionid
    Participant

That was actually directed at IW2EYC. You and I practically had a simulpost, but you slipped in right before me, so my meaning got lost. I just meant IW2EYC didn’t have to worry about drifting off topic here in these forums as opposed to the contest threads on Fark.

I figured as much, but I also chuckled at the fact that it looked like you were jestfully using me as an exampled, so I jested back. 😀

olavf
    Participant

Ok, photos are restored. I really have no explanation for why they would drop like that, especially when Olav’s didn’t. File sizes are fine, so I’m really scratching my head.

Followup: I pinged Mike on FB and he agrees the ampersand is probably the likely culprit. I’m going to send a farkback to figure out exactly what’s going on because it’s odd – her stuff posted fine initially, and seems to last through more than one round of verification (though I don’t know what the interval is these days. It used to not be more than an hour or two based on when I’ve had server issues)

Uranus
    Participant

Hi Els… can you see what happened to my 2/3? Seems to have been bombed too….weird.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Sounds like the internet is almost full…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3’ is closed to new replies.