09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

One Bee.

http://www.follandfamily.com/TF/farktography/110907.bw3/0305-kat_sm_web.JPG

/Decided the others have other contests.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Holy hell U-Man. That farking sucks 🙁

That’s exactly what came to mind when I read that story. I’d be in the camera shop (or ordering online) to get a replacement the next day. You gotta get right back up on the bike and ride you know…

Lovesandwich
    Participant

Wow U-man…unreal bad luck! (glad that it was ONLY a Canon…)

On a positive note, the black and white contests are ALWAYS my favs. Nice work everyone!

Yoyo
    Participant

For those of you who aren’t facebook friends – check this shiat out. I copied my last status about the $3000 musky I caught today. 🙁

I went fishing today … and it just fell into the lake….

I’m never taking my camera in a boat again. I’d have nightmares. Sorry!

My #1 rule about using my camera is “ALWAYS use the neck strap.” (Rule #2 is “Take off the lens cap.”) Even with rule #1, I still get a bit nervous when taking aerial recon photos. My bag’s shoulder strap also gets wrapped around part of the airframe. I figure the worst that could happen then is I donate a lens to the local landscape.

I think now is the time to build a camera stand that rigidly mounts to the boat’s transom or gunwales. Of course if you do that, the next time the whole boat will capsize.

Back on topic: I totally forgot yesterday was Wednesday and didn’t do any prep work for this one, so I had to dig through my archives this morning to find some pics that look in B&W.

I think the portrait works well, except for the background, but even that looks better in monochrome since it’s actually red and distracts from the b&w polka-dot dress and pin-stripe suit.

The monastary shot was through a high window. Just put the camera on auto, hold it up over my head, and hope for the best. I just wish I would have already had the 10-24mm lens for that trip. Maybe I’ll take the shots of the Pri?ren from the hillside and stitch them together one of these days.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, so U-Man, I’ve been trying to figure out your Children of the Corn lighting. I’m guessing you had a flash, but I can see sky with clouds above part of the corn, but other parts look flat black?

bender16v
    Participant

Wow U-Man, I take my camera out fishing all of the time. I haven’t used the tripod on the boat yet and now I never will. That is terrible, if you know where you lost it maybe you can dredge for it? I found a rod I lost by rigging up one of those old metal stringers with the hooks open and some lead attached. I bought a Lily Pod for use in the boat but haven’t tried it yet. BTW, your photos are always impressive.

ennuipoet
    Participant

For those of you who aren’t facebook friends – check this shiat out. I copied my last status about the $3000 musky I caught today. 🙁

I went fishing today and, as usual, I had my camera and tripod in the boat. When the fish aren?t biting I?ll take photos. When the big fish bite, I take a photo of me holding it before release. I caught this guy today at Banner Marsh. With the fish in the net (still in the water) I set up my camera and tripod on the front seat. The, using the self timer, I took a pic of me and the fish sitting on the back seat. After the first one, I rushed forward and pushed the button for just one more pic. As I sort of ran to the back of the boat I heard a ?SPLASH? and got a sick feeling in my stomach. I turned and my camera was GONE. Just like in the movies, there were ripples and some bubbles where it went in. I must have rocked the boat enough and it just fell into the lake.

I said, ?Oh f*ck!?.

I immediately released the fish (he did OK and slowly swam away) and sort of dug around with my net. No luck. I then stripped down and jumped in! I spent the next 20 minutes chest deep in weedy lake water holding onto the side of my boat ? feeling around with my toes. Nothing.

Banner Marsh – 1, Ulle ? 0.

If you want to price check, it was a Canon 7D, EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 lens, 16 Gig Extreme IV CF card and a UV haze lens filter. Oh yeah, and a Manfrotto 725B tripod.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ulle17/farkphotoshop/_3000-Musky.jpg

I can’t seem to stop crying…why god, why?!?

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

U-Man: You had my sympathy….until your dig at Canon.

Really, though, a sickening story regardless of which brand. Makes me want to go hug my camera.

The tripod, if found, should be salvageable, right?

ravnostic
    Participant

Oooh, kewl! I got to see the Scar-r-r-rlet R page!! Henry Hill, whom I believe is a semi-frequent submitter. Hackhix is a hiccup from the failed 1st post. Nifty. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

Ok, so U-Man, I’ve been trying to figure out your Children of the Corn lighting. I’m guessing you had a flash, but I can see sky with clouds above part of the corn, but other parts look flat black?

This was taken a few years back…

I had a flash and silver umbrella high (10 feet?) at 12 o’clock. It was afternoon so the flash acted as key but there was plenty of ambient. I processed it using the sliders in Photoshop’s Black & White tool.

kashari
    Participant

Thanks guys. I alternate between “It’s only money. Nothing irreplaceable was lost.” to a rueful chuckle to being pissed at myself…and back to the fact that nothing irreplaceable was lost.

Plus, it was JUST a Canon. I mean, imagine how pissed I would be if it were a Nikon. 🙂

😆 Now that’s right!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This was taken a few years back…

I had a flash and silver umbrella high (10 feet?) at 12 o’clock. It was afternoon so the flash acted as key but there was plenty of ambient. I processed it using the sliders in Photoshop’s Black & White tool.

Ah ok…I figured there was less ambient light than that. The flag black parts were maybe overexposed and just took on straight black from the b/w tool? I’m so out of my element with the whole “overpowering the sun with flash” thing…

justkat
    Participant

Elsinore – My pix seemed to have disappeared again. I don’t know what the problem is, Olav and I are hosted exactly the same way. =( Dammit, I thought I had some nice — not top position nice, but nice — pix this week.

sleeping
    Participant

Ah ok…I figured there was less ambient light than that. The flag black parts were maybe overexposed and just took on straight black from the b/w tool? I’m so out of my element with the whole “overpowering the sun with flash” thing…

You can get the cloudless parts of the sky pretty close to flat black without a flash at all using a deep red filter or the equivalent post-processing (i.e. totally eliminating the blue channel)

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

There is a reason I own one of these things (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/Carabiners/PRD~5010-079/petzl-spirit-anodized-quickdraw.jsp). Part of my job involves me being up 20 storeys, and I am paranoid about dropping my work camera (a cheap p&s) so I use this clip to attach it to my harness (or belt). I’ve used it when going out on boating trips with my nephew, like I said I’m paranoid about dropping or loosing my camera.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘09-07-11 – Farktography Classic: Black and White 3’ is closed to new replies.