09-08-10 – The Camera Made Me Do It

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-08-10 – The Camera Made Me Do It

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant
    Zero_Exponent wrote:

Oh, and it’s the back of a road sign at night, silhouetting some scrubby desert plant tines. Noticed it walking home from the bar last night, grabbed the camera and went back to take the shot. Yellow sodium vapor lighting.

I like the colors of the sky, and the sils. of the branches, but I think I’d like it better if that pole wasn’t in there ( all together now, THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID ).

There’s no skylight–it’s totally the ambient lighting of the neighborhood; mostly the sodium vapor part. But it looks like a sunset sky, doesn’t it? I did take some with 1/2 the sign, but unfortunately, the focus wasn’t quite as sharp as this one.

Actually, the focus was fine–I live next to the central Phoenix Post Office, and there’s a semi coming through every 30 seconds, causing a breeze adjacent to the street. By the time the scrub brush gets settled down for a 1/15-1/30 second shot, another truck comes by (plus other traffic).

I’ll probably just need to retake the shot after 3am, when things settle down a bit. At high ISO with Az’s ambient temp, there’s a lot of noise; I’d like a longer exposure with a lower ISO, and a higher F-Stop to book.

justkat
    Participant

I know this isn’t even on the same continent that the game Dan Winters is playing is on, but this picture

[img]http://65.78.140.207/gallery2/main.php/v/Kat_Galleries/faves/100814k_1886_bride.JPG.html[/img]

shows some nifty things with warmth and mystery, rather than stark clarity…

justkat
    Participant
    zincprincess
    Participant

New topic – I’m speechless about how well this guys understands light and people…

http://danwintersphoto.com/

His pictures on “Why I Became an American” appeared in Real Simple magazine a few months back. Good stuff although I do agree with olavf that he does seem to be a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to portraits.

justkat
    Participant

I do agree with olavf that he does seem to be a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to portraits.

They say married couples really start to look alike after a while… 😉

zincprincess
    Participant

They say married couples really start to look alike after a while… 😉

😳 Sorry about that. My reading comprehension goes to hell when it’s late and/or I’m drinking.

ravnostic
    Participant

Congrat’s the U-Man this week!

/weird; each of the last three weeks I’ve had 47 votes. Seems to be my mean…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

(I’ve stopped offering congrats here until the Fark thread is officially closed and results are final. So U-Man definitely got this one!)

lokisbong
    Participant

Congrats for sure to U-Man. there were a whole lot of cool entries this week.

olavf
    Participant

Congrats to U-Man and everyone this week. An 11-point spread between 1st and 20th shows how tight this contest really was.

U-Man
    Participant

An 11-point spread between 1st and 20th shows how tight this contest really was.

After recent weeks, I was totally expecting somebody to race up and snatch 1st.

Thanks to all for the congrats. I really liked the overall feel of this theme.

/i said snatch 😯
    //see you all for some forking in a few days.

olavf
    Participant

Me too. As much consternation as we had leading up to the contest, it worked out pretty well.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

An 11-point spread between 1st and 20th shows how tight this contest really was.

After recent weeks, I was totally expecting somebody to race up and snatch 1st.

Thanks to all for the congrats. I really liked the overall feel of this theme.

/i said snatch 😯
    //see you all for some forking in a few days.

I was so afraid to call it at all in the Fark thread, even with the disclaimer that it wasn’t official yet. It was a good theme, though. Personally, I’d like to revisit this one some time.

U-Man
    Participant

I was so afraid to call it at all in the Fark thread, even with the disclaimer that it wasn’t official yet.

I can imagine. 🙂 I can’t remember I tighter race.

It was a good theme, though. Personally, I’d like to revisit this one some time.

Me too. There was some consternation and ambiguity in the discussion, but the pics in the thread show that everybody has a gut level understanding.

lokisbong
    Participant

Close race indeed. I only needed three more votes to tie for first. But I am super stoked to be in the top five so Congrats to everybody are definitely in order.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • The topic ‘09-08-10 – The Camera Made Me Do It’ is closed to new replies.